FORUMS

[Video Tutorial] Root the Amazon Fire TV Gen 2 Firmware 5.0.3 VMware in Windows

50 posts
Thanks Meter: 40

Post Reply Email Thread
Please note!!! This tutorial is now old, and will only work for the following firmware 5.0.3
I will make a new video tutorial soon, showing you how to root the 5.0.4 firmware in VMware, so please stay tuned.

To be safe run checkver.py every time you handshake since 5.0.4 is starting to roll out!

Hi guys, hopefully this tutorial helps out everyone having issues, or just too scared to take the plunge. but this will work on windows, since we are running it in a virtual machine.

Requirements!!!! to follow this tutorial.
1. Male to Male USB.

2. VMWare workstation you can download that from here.
3. The pre configured virtual machine, you can download that from here extract it to your desktop, or some where that you can find on your computer. Mirror

that's it!!!, just watch the video And follow me step by step, and you should have success.

Video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZQqLoO6ojM

Commands used for copy and paste.
Code:
cd aftv2-tools
./handshake.py
./patch_mmc.sh 0x00000000058e0000 system.root.img system.diff
adb shell
su
pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota
the sudo password is zeroepoch

PS guys, made this when I was really tired, so if I'm slurring my words please excuse me lol.

if you have any issues please post in the original thread here.
but I doubt you will have any issues. I have managed to root 17 devices from today successfully, every time.

Edit troubleshooting, if you run into the problem, Where the process/patching, Gets Stuck or freezes, don't be alarmed, just press ctrl c key on your keyboard and try plugging in the Amazon box into a different USB port on your computer, and then start again.

@zeroepochHas also posted, a Ubuntu script to Make the process/patching easier, I haven't tested this in a virtual machine environment, will test next week when I get another box in. But If you are impatient you can get it from here

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to ultimate_spy_binns For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ultimate_spy_binns Ad-Free
2nd December 2015, 05:13 AM |#2  
OP Member
Flag Birmingham

Donate to Me
More
I'm not sure why it won't, show the video in the post, you will have to watch it directly on YouTube
2nd December 2015, 06:36 AM |#3  
Flag Charlotte
Thanks Meter: 157

Donate to Me
More
will try this once the pre config is uploaded thanks mate!

edit:

Btw get you a donation link setup, i will be donating to the original people involved in finding this root exploit/patch and would love to donate to you for the pre config and video
2nd December 2015, 09:01 AM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Birmingham

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicroot

will try this once the pre config is uploaded thanks mate!

edit:

Btw get you a donation link setup, i will be donating to the original people involved in finding this root exploit/patch and would love to donate to you for the pre config and video

Thank you for the offer, But its not required. but if you, Where going to give donations give them to @zeroepoch for his original hard work.
I'm sure he would appreciate it.
3rd December 2015, 02:07 AM |#5  
Flag North Idaho
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_spy_binns

I'm not sure why it won't, show the video in the post, you will have to watch it directly on YouTube

I had no problem with the link to your video; opened up a new tab and started playing Thank you! I will watch and learn.
3rd December 2015, 01:35 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
I have a Belkin USB Transfer Cable. Is this different than a USB Male to Male cable?
3rd December 2015, 02:18 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Thank you so much Binns, worked perfectly. I tried using Hyper-V for my setup, but could not get the USB port to connect properly. Using VMWorkstation and your tutorial did the trick. Delighted to have a rooted Fire 2!

One reminder for windows users, is to be careful about your power saver settings. Mine originally had the computer going to sleep after an hour, and disrupted the patching process.
3rd December 2015, 03:12 PM |#8  

More
What is the advantage of rooting the Fire TV?
3rd December 2015, 08:48 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Birmingham

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharybinx34

I have a Belkin USB Transfer Cable. Is this different than a USB Male to Male cable?

to be honest, I can't tell you if it's any different Les I actually see the cable.

But it should look something like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharybinx34

What is the advantage of rooting the Fire TV?

not much if your a normal user and all you want to do is use kodi etc, so there isn't much point in rooting if that all you do. but if you want use apps that require root privilege you won't be able to use them, me personally i use it for vpn access, because I live in the United Kingdom I don't get access to usa content, but by rooting the box it allows me to use a VPN too fake my IP address so I can watch usa content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob3

Thank you so much Binns, worked perfectly. I tried using Hyper-V for my setup, but could not get the USB port to connect properly. Using VMWorkstation and your tutorial did the trick. Delighted to have a rooted Fire 2!

One reminder for windows users, is to be careful about your power saver settings. Mine originally had the computer going to sleep after an hour, and disrupted the patching process.

That's great to hear, that this has work for you lot @pilotbob3
3rd December 2015, 08:51 PM |#10  
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Anyone in the UK know any good shops for picking up one if these cables I know it won't be cheap as using ebay

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
3rd December 2015, 09:03 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_spy_binns

to be honest, I can't tell you if it's any different Les I actually see the cable.

But it should look something like this

not much if your a normal user and all you want to do is use kodi etc, so there isn't much point in rooting if that all you do. but if you want use apps that require root privilege you won't be able to use them, me personally i use it for vpn access, because I live in the United Kingdom I don't get access to usa content, but by rooting the box it allows me to use a VPN too fake my IP address so I can watch usa content.

That's great to hear, that is has work for you lot @pilotbob3

What method do you use to watch USA content from the US? I know how VPN works, so I'm not asking about that.

Also, if I root can I install Teamviewer onto the Fire? Or can I without that?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)