FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

4k Element Amazon Fire TV can't update

29 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By INSANEMODE, Junior Member on 9th October 2017, 11:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
i have the tv on its launch firmware 5.2.5.0, and it is pretty buggy.

this tv has pretty much zero dev work going on, so it has a locked bootloader, no recovery, ect.

it has been rooted (kingroot) and had updates disabled.

i reenabled the updates (unblocked from router and fixed build number).

it downloads the update and tries to install it, but it is still on 5.2.5.0 when it reboots.

i tried factory resetting before and after i removed root. (which doesn't remove or restore anything aside from making me put my account back in)

anyone have any ideas?

maybe someone can tell me how to pull a logcat when trying to install the OTA?

17th October 2017, 05:22 AM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

More
well, alright then.
The Following User Says Thank You to INSANEMODE For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift INSANEMODE Ad-Free
13th April 2018, 06:14 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue...still stuck on 5.2.5.0
4th May 2018, 07:35 PM |#4  

More
I have the same issue with my Element TV stuck at 5.2.5.0
Based on this link it should be at 5.2.6.2 http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-...pdate-history/
I need to figure out how to manually update the TV...any ideas?
7th June 2018, 02:25 AM |#5  

More
To manually install a software update on your Element 4K Ultra HD Smart TV - Amazon Fire TV Edition:

1. From a computer, click the following link:

w w w. amazon. c o m /television-update
A .zip file named “firetvedition_update.zip” will download automatically.

2. Open the .zip file and extract the enclosed files by right-clicking the file and selecting “Extract All,” then following the prompts. (On a Mac, double-click the .zip file to extract the files.)

3. Next, plug a USB storage device into your computer with at least 4MB of available memory. If you’re already using a USB storage device with your TV to view photos or play music or videos, then this same device should also work for the software update. (The USB device must be FAT32 formatted.)

4. The USB storage device will appear as a removable drive on your computer. Drag and drop or copy and paste the files directly onto the USB device, making sure not to put them in a subfolder. Once the files have been copied, you can eject the USB device to safely disconnect it from your computer.

5. Unplug any external devices from your TV, then unplug the TV’s power cord.

6. Plug the USB stick into either USB port on your TV, then plug in the power cord for the TV. The TV will turn on by itself and begin installing the update. It will reboot during this time. Be sure to keep the TV and USB stick firmly plugged in. If prompted, press the power button on the front of your TV to finish the reboot process.

After your TV has rebooted, your software update is complete. You may remove the USB stick and reconnect any external devices. Your TV should download any future software updates automatically.

Unfortunately, my tv still doesn't boot up from the flash drive.
I have tried 5 different flash drives of different sizes.

I am going to write that image file using rufus on a flash drive and see what happens.
Maybe this will bypass having to mount it?
Anyone have any ideas?
7th June 2018, 03:52 PM |#6  

More
I followed the steps and was able to boot from USB, but it didn't help much. (see the pictures attached)
Then I tried again to boot up but this time didn't boot at all from USB...no clue why.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	element1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	4520549   Click image for larger version

Name:	element2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	4520550  
7th June 2018, 05:27 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbuzila

I followed the steps and was able to boot from USB, but it didn't help much. (see the pictures attached)
Then I tried again to boot up but this time didn't boot at all from USB...no clue why.

My usb only booted once but my controls were not working, so I restarted and I could never get it to boot off the usb again.
7th June 2018, 09:00 PM |#8  

More
This tv will probably have to be rooted since I get permission denied on everything.
I was hoping maybe to copy the upgrade img somewhere on to the tv and maybe execute it from there.
9th June 2018, 01:44 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopiepants74

This tv will probably have to be rooted since I get permission denied on everything.
I was hoping maybe to copy the upgrade img somewhere on to the tv and maybe execute it from there.

I am going to try wiping the image as mentioned in the link below, then try updates again.

w w w .aftvnews.c o m/how-to-unbrick-by-entering-recovery-mode-and-factory-reset-the-amazon-fire-tv/
12th June 2018, 03:11 AM |#10  

More
Damn good news!!!
I finally got the damn thing upgraded, and no thanks to Amazon or Element.
They were both useless and kept sending me back and forth between support for both companies.

This is how you were able to break the Ouya console startup process when booting and it works for Element Fire TV's as well.

So it's a bit of a hit or miss, but I am pretty confident it will work if your patient.

1. Download the following file and put it on a USB stick
http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-...pdate-history/
Search for: Version 5.2.5.1 (Build 577224220) and download that file
Throw it on a flash drive formatted Fat32

2. Connect a usb keyboard to your Element Fire TV

3. Turn of your Element TV by pulling the power plug, wait 5 seconds and turn it back on with the remote.

4. As soon as you see the element logo start tapping on your "Left alt", "I "(key) and "Print Screen" at the same time. This will cause a break and restart the system. You will do this several times continuously every time you seem the Element logo. The TV should reboot about 3-4 times, so you should see the Element logo 3-4 different times while tapping the key combination. At some point you will see a screen that reads updating.

5. The first time you come across the updating screen wait 5 minutes and if the progress bar does nothing, it is frozen/stuck. Once again, "Left alt", "I"(key) and "Print Screen" at the same time and it will restart. Once again you will see the Element logo and repeat the key combo routine.
You will then see the 2nd upgrade screen and you should see the progress bar moving and it should complete this time around.

Notes:
Never restart if it is updating and you see the progress bar moving or your usb is flashing.

Please reply with any questions, successes or failures.

Good luck!

Poopiepants
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)