FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Amazon Fire TV turns on BY ITSELF! Is there a ghost in my machine?

2,447 posts
Thanks Meter: 414

By Neo3D, Senior Member on 11th January 2017, 04:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
My Amazon Fire TV goes to sleep just fine, but several times a week, the Amazon Fire TV will turn on by itself! This is annoying because it also turns our Samsung TV on as well.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is there a ghost in my machine? LOL

11th January 2017, 06:23 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
i have no idea bout the fire tv (stick) cause its close sourced and you cant access the bootloader/system software to fix that, and i dont own one to figure it out myself. But what tv are you using, many tvs have advanced hdmi settings where you can disable remote control using hdmi and thereby only enable a/v using hdmi. I dont know if your television set has such a setting but my lg tv has something like that, i have disabled this to listen to music using my stereo from the blu ray player (over upnp/dlna) without the tv switched on...

have a look at your tv user guid for example, or thell us the tv model so we could check.

If there is no way doing that by tv just unplug your tv or use a hdmi switch with an remote control between the fire box and the tv to workaround...

i wish you much suggest on this issue, i can imagine that this is a pain in the ass.

By the way dose your fire stick has a separated power supply, if so you could also switch this one on and off wireless...

regards treaki
The Following User Says Thank You to treaki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift treaki Ad-Free
11th January 2017, 06:38 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by treaki

i have no idea bout the fire tv (stick) cause its close sourced and you cant access the bootloader/system software to fix that, and i dont own one to figure it out myself. But what tv are you using, many tvs have advanced hdmi settings where you can disable remote control using hdmi and thereby only enable a/v using hdmi. I dont know if your television set has such a setting but my lg tv has something like that, i have disabled this to listen to music using my stereo from the blu ray player (over upnp/dlna) without the tv switched on...

have a look at your tv user guid for example, or thell us the tv model so we could check.

If there is no way doing that by tv just unplug your tv or use a hdmi switch with an remote control between the fire box and the tv to workaround...

i wish you much suggest on this issue, i can imagine that this is a pain in the ass.

By the way dose your fire stick has a separated power supply, if so you could also switch this one on and off wireless...

regards treaki

Thanks! I have the regular Amazon Fire TV, not the stick. But, I'll see if my TV will let me disable the remote "on" feature.
12th January 2017, 12:40 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
It should. I remember that my TV would turn on in the middle of the night. Lol creepy. Since then I had disabled the option on my TV.
12th January 2017, 03:39 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Whew I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I don't get why this stupid Fire TV does that?
2nd August 2017, 01:40 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm relatively new to Firestick but mine randomly turns on the TV and changes the input back to the HDMI port into which the Firestick is plugged. It has done it 3 times this evening ! That is AFTER I changed the input BACK to the cable system each time. It is definitely demanding attention !
9th August 2017, 07:35 AM |#7  

More
Both of my Fire TVs (1 and 2) do this, and it's not repeatable. In my case, it happens at the moment when SPMC is supposed to suspend, but not every time. I'd love to have it work so I can hit one button on my Fire TV remote and have it start up my TV and reciever, but I can't get it to work, so I've disabled HDMI CEC on the Fire TV 2. I'll do more testing on my Fire TV 1 soon.
6th November 2017, 01:38 AM |#8  

More
I have a two fire sticks, Samsung TVs, and both are setup to turn on when I push home button on the fire remote. The main TV is recently turning on, it gets 1000 times the usage. It is now doing it when watching other things or while playing online games - not cool! I’ll check back soon since this thread has been sitting
10th November 2017, 03:40 AM |#9  

More
Our Firestick has also started to turn the TV on by itself and also when we are watching other mediums. This is not cool Amazon. You need to get ahold of this.
10th November 2017, 05:30 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Turn off CEC in your tv settings
14th November 2017, 12:53 AM |#11  

More
No great solution so far
It seems like there ought to be a way to solve this problem without simply dumbing-down our TVs and disabling a pretty darn convenient convenience feature.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)