FORUMS

[Q] Amazon Fire TV + XBMC -> CEC functionality in detail ?

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By elmurato, Junior Member on 4th September 2014, 08:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys,

I just pre-ordered an Amazon Fire TV here in Germany and I have a specific question for which I didn't find an answer yet. Everybody is saying that the AFTV has basic CEC functionality. I just wanted to know what this means in detail? Which keys are working and which are not? I heard that the arrow keys and the OK/select key are working. But what about the back, the home and the multimedia buttons (play/pause etc.)? I would be very glad if someone could answer this question (espacially with a Sony Bravia TV).

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward for an answer.
5th September 2014, 08:11 AM |#2  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmurato

Hey guys,

I just pre-ordered an Amazon Fire TV here in Germany and I have a specific question for which I didn't find an answer yet. Everybody is saying that the AFTV has basic CEC functionality. I just wanted to know what this means in detail? Which keys are working and which are not? I heard that the arrow keys and the OK/select key are working. But what about the back, the home and the multimedia buttons (play/pause etc.)? I would be very glad if someone could answer this question (espacially with a Sony Bravia TV).

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward for an answer.

I would like to know that too. I have a Samsung tv and the only cec function I can see fire tv performing is when I wake the device up from sleep it automatically shifts my tv from cable to fire tv screen and turns on the sound system if its off. But nothing on the TV remote works.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sc0rp10 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sc0rp10 Ad-Free
5th September 2014, 07:10 PM |#3  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,575

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0rp10

I would like to know that too. I have a Samsung tv and the only cec function I can see fire tv performing is when I wake the device up from sleep it automatically shifts my tv from cable to fire tv screen and turns on the sound system if its off. But nothing on the TV remote works.

On my toshia the arrows and select were working. But there was no back or home.
The Following User Says Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th September 2014, 10:41 PM |#4  

More
Sony here, no back/home... seems the best u can have until a hack.
The Following User Says Thank You to c0mm0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift c0mm0n Ad-Free
6th September 2014, 12:03 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0mm0n

Sony here, no back/home... seems the best u can have until a hack.

Damn. So for now its unusable via CEC, right? Without a back button it's not possible to exit menus... Could you try the media buttons too, please? I mean play/pause/stop. Thanks!
6th September 2014, 01:10 AM |#6  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,575

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmurato

Damn. So for now its unusable via CEC, right? Without a back button it's not possible to exit menus... Could you try the media buttons too, please? I mean play/pause/stop. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure play/pause worked for me. But I just got a FLIRC. Much better and more flexible.
15th December 2014, 08:07 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Not working for me. Panasonic TV.
with pi it works perfectly...
actually the TV DO recognize there's a hdmi CEC supported device but none of the buttons do something
6th January 2015, 09:32 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Tested on Sanyo TV designed for use with roku.

Directions and media buttons work.
Back works (but brings up roku qr overlay)
the Exit button also functions as Back.
6th January 2015, 11:45 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 62

Donate to Me
More
Hey,

My FireTV is connected to my Onkyo TX-NR626 amp and from there to my LG TV, I can control the FireTV with the remote of the Onkyo and everything is working, select, back, directions, play, pause, and skip

But you have to enter a code for a RIHD (CEC) enabled device on the remote, the code is 31612 if I'am not wrong

The only thing that is not working is you can't wake up the FireTV out of the standby

Gesendet von meinem HTC One_M8 mit Tapatalk
13th January 2015, 11:52 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Sony Bravia Sync
Tested on an old KDL55-W4000!

Sony calls its CEC compatibility "Bravia Sync". With "Bravia Sync" activated, the following commands work via my TV's remote: Play, Stop, Back-Button, Forward, Rewind, Direction-Keys and Enter ...

With the Sony-Command "Sync Menu", the TV checks for connected devices at HDMI ports and even activates the FireTV from sleep-mode ... If the FireTV is activated, the same button "Sync Menu" opens the Options in FireTV (e.g. skipping to next episode or language selection)

Unfortunately, the only button not yet found by now via CEC, is the "HOME" button. By that button missing, you might get stucked, e. g. in the youtube app for FireTV, because the Back-Button does not go back to main menu of FireTV but stays in the YouTube-App and shows the Search-Site ...

If anyone has a Sony-TV, sending a "HOME"-command via CEC, please contact me, so I can properly set up my Harmony to send the command on my Sony-TV, too (sometimes, not all commands the tv is capable of, are buttons on the remote ... let's give it a try).

Hope, that has helped someone ... Please get back to me, if "Home" is available. Otherwise, I will not use YouTube-App
13th January 2015, 10:33 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 61

More
I don't know anything about CEC on other platforms. I just got a Fire TV two days ago.

I was very happily surprised when my TV's remote (Sony Bravia 47") worked on the Fire. My Girlfriend grabbed the TV remote as we were setting the fire up, and many of the commands were mapped to Sony remote buttons. Since I had cloned the remote to my Universal Remote URC20, it also works. I can create macros and treat the Fire TV like it has an IR remote. Very handy functionality.

All I have done is navigation, backward, forward, select, etc. Of course, you need the Fire remote for voice control.

Someone in another thread said that Samsung TVs didn't run commands back through HDMI. So, obviously ot depends on TV manufacturer.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)