FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Broke Amazon Fire Tv box?

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By nighthawk777, Junior Member on 15th February 2015, 11:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I brought a new amazon fire tv box. I am not looking to root. I booted it up, it updated. I connected to my network. Downloaded Netflix tried to watch Netflix and it gave me a error. So I unplugged the box to reboot. Plugged it back up and nothing. The unit won't power on. So I did an RMA and got a new one.

Got the new one, powered it up, took the update, downloaded Netflix, same error on not playing. Used the remote to put unit in sleep mode. And now the unit won't come back on. Did I get two bad units? Is there any hope in getting this thing to boot back up?

Any thoughts?

16th February 2015, 06:20 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 253

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk777

I brought a new amazon fire tv box. I am not looking to root. I booted it up, it updated. I connected to my network. Downloaded Netflix tried to watch Netflix and it gave me a error. So I unplugged the box to reboot. Plugged it back up and nothing. The unit won't power on. So I did an RMA and got a new one.

Got the new one, powered it up, took the update, downloaded Netflix, same error on not playing. Used the remote to put unit in sleep mode. And now the unit won't come back on. Did I get two bad units? Is there any hope in getting this thing to boot back up?

Any thoughts?

That is some strange stuff...netflix errors are common but a reboot almost always fixes it. I don't know what's going on but amazon actually has great customer service so make a call and more than likely they'll either walk you through it or possibly send you a new one.
17th February 2015, 07:46 AM |#3  

More
i have the same issue, it stopped working after a day. No power LED no nothing.

I was holding "select and play" in an attempt to restart the box because i encountered sluggish performance on Kodi.
Afterwhich, i am not able to turn it back on again despite changing socket points and random clicking on the remote.

While i am waiting for a new set from Amazon, is there anyone who has encountered the same issue but have managed to power up the box??
17th February 2015, 06:42 PM |#4  

More
I am in the exact same position ....

- new out of the box
- updated as part of the install process
- side-loaded Kodi with a "success" message
- rebooted as instructed with play and select for 5 seconds ....
- nothing, dead, no reboot, nothing, no light. Seems completely dead.

As the person above - let me know if you anyone has a thought.
18th February 2015, 05:08 PM |#5  

More
Thumbs down
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickspeed

I am in the exact same position ....

- new out of the box
- updated as part of the install process
- side-loaded Kodi with a "success" message
- rebooted as instructed with play and select for 5 seconds ....
- nothing, dead, no reboot, nothing, no light. Seems completely dead.

As the person above - let me know if you anyone has a thought.

I was reading the feedback on Amazon fire tv product page, apparently we are not the only ones.
Based on the users' feedback, seems like Amazon engineers have acknowledged that it's a known issue. SCARY.
19th February 2015, 02:00 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I have the exact same thing, there is definitely a bad batch going around.

My Fire TV arrived on Monday, 2/16/15. I plugged it in and took an update as part of the setup. I installed several apps and logged in to accounts, watched about 3 hours of stuff on it that night. The next day it was dead as a door nail. No lights, no amount of button mashing on the remote made any difference. I have a replacement being sent out. The AFTV is currently out of stock, I'm curious if this is related.
19th February 2015, 04:58 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 253

More
I read another person complaining another site. Do we have anything resembling a common link? It seems so far this is effecting non-rooted aftvs with the latest update but not all aftvs. Are all of these units relatively new? Purchase date?
I just want to figure out if it's hardware or software related. I purchased another one after Xmas and no issues so far.
19th February 2015, 07:36 PM |#8  

More
Just got mine, set it up, used it maybe for 2 hours, unplugged, connected to the TV and same thing. Dead.
20th February 2015, 04:36 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Haha same thing happened to me. Got Kodi and everything installed. Unplugged the Fire TV and now it's bricked.
21st February 2015, 06:03 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
same happened to me.
got my unit today installed kodi fine. Was using the llama method to get a kodi icon added to the home screen. needed a reboot and used the select+play method on remote and now it won't turn back on. Contacted amazon and they are sending me a new replacement.
26th February 2015, 07:51 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by teng247

got my unit today installed kodi fine. Was using the llama method to get a kodi icon added to the home screen. needed a reboot and used the select+play method on remote and now it won't turn back on. Contacted amazon and they are sending me a new replacement.

Anyone who have gotten their replacement units, may i know if you guys encounter the same issue again?
I am still waiting for my replacement set.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)