FORUMS

Critically low on storage popup

1,099 posts
Thanks Meter: 194

By Sizzlechest, Senior Member on 13th January 2015, 04:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I keep getting a popup that says the Fire TV is critically low on storage. Here's a df from adb shell:

[email protected]:/storage/emulated/legacy # df
df
Filesystem Size Used Free Blksize
/dev 973M 48K 973M 4096
/mnt/secure 973M 0K 973M 4096
/mnt/asec 973M 0K 973M 4096
/mnt/obb 973M 0K 973M 4096
/storage/usb 973M 0K 973M 4096
/system 756M 721M 35M 4096
/data 5G 2G 3G 4096
/cache 756M 13M 742M 4096
/firmware 63M 7M 56M 16384
/persist 7M 4M 3M 4096
/mnt/shell/emulated 5G 2G 3G 4096
/storage/emulated/legacy 5G 2G 3G 4096
/data/data/com.amazon.avod/files/streaming 400M 0K 400M 4096
[email protected]:/storage/emulated/legacy #

I don't see a problem. I'm running SPMC. That's probably the biggest space hog, but where is the problem?

One thing I'd like to try is clear out all of the plugins. IS there an easy way to do that without disturning the other settings?
13th January 2015, 05:40 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Are you using the Zero cache advancedsettings.xml? Looking at your usage, I'm guessing that's the culprit.

Without the Zero cache advancedsettings.xml, XBMC uses the device's RAM for caching videos. But if you use the Zero cache advancedsettings.xml file, it forces all XBMC caching to be done on the hard drive, and ignores RAM. And it will cache the entire video you're watching with no limit on how much hard drive space it uses. So if you start watching an HD movie, and you have a decent internet connection, it's pretty easy to use up all your available hard drive space because it's caching the entire movie to your hard drive as you're watching it. With a decent connection, you'll cache the entire film faster than you're watching it, so you'll run out of hard drive space anytime you watch a video that's of a large file size. That space will be freed up when you quit the video. But if you're watching large HD movies frequently, you can run into this situation all the time, since the AFTV only has ~5GB of usable space in most cases.

This can often be confusing if you don't know how the Zero cache advancedsettings.xml works, because you'll constantly get low space warnings while watching videos, but then when you exit out to check hard drive space, you'll see 2-3GB of free space and wonder why you received the message. The Zero cache advancedsettings.xml file has gotten a nasty undeserved reputation of being a magic fix all for buffering and such. In situations like this it can actually making things worse. I'd only recommend the Zero cache advancedsettings.xml if you have a device with ample hard drive space. And even then, its purpose is to allow you to cache more of the video file, not to cache it faster.

As far as clearing out plugins, I really doubt that is the issue at all. Plugins themselves don't take up any noticeable space. But inside XBMC you can navigate to System\Add-ons\Enabled Addons and see all the plugins that are installed.

Hope that helps.
14th January 2015, 04:37 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Thank you! Here's the advancedsettings.xml that I've tried:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>10</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>
I put it in the /sdcard/Android/data/com.semperpax.spmc/files/.xbmc/userdata directory. I force closed spmc, cleared the program's cache, but not the data, and restarted it. I still got the popup. I then pulled the plug and rebooted the Fire TV and so far, so good.

I used the Amazon Fire TV Utility App to set up my Fire TV back when it was at 0.33 and I don't think it supported SPMC. I just upgraded and it looks like it has settings for SPMC. It has some advancedsettings.xml files in there. The first one is the same as the one I posted above.
14th January 2015, 05:00 AM |#4  
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFish

Are you using the Zero cache advancedsettings.xml? Looking at your usage, I'm guessing that's the culprit.

Without the Zero cache advancedsettings.xml, XBMC uses the device's RAM for caching videos. But if you use the Zero cache advancedsettings.xml file, it forces all XBMC caching to be done on the hard drive, and ignores RAM. And it will cache the entire video you're watching with no limit on how much hard drive space it uses. So if you start watching an HD movie, and you have a decent internet connection, it's pretty easy to use up all your available hard drive space because it's caching the entire movie to your hard drive as you're watching it. With a decent connection, you'll cache the entire film faster than you're watching it, so you'll run out of hard drive space anytime you watch a video that's of a large file size. That space will be freed up when you quit the video. But if you're watching large HD movies frequently, you can run into this situation all the time, since the AFTV only has ~5GB of usable space in most cases.

This can often be confusing if you don't know how the Zero cache advancedsettings.xml works, because you'll constantly get low space warnings while watching videos, but then when you exit out to check hard drive space, you'll see 2-3GB of free space and wonder why you received the message. The Zero cache advancedsettings.xml file has gotten a nasty undeserved reputation of being a magic fix all for buffering and such. In situations like this it can actually making things worse. I'd only recommend the Zero cache advancedsettings.xml if you have a device with ample hard drive space. And even then, its purpose is to allow you to cache more of the video file, not to cache it faster.

As far as clearing out plugins, I really doubt that is the issue at all. Plugins themselves don't take up any noticeable space. But inside XBMC you can navigate to System\Add-ons\Enabled Addons and see all the plugins that are installed.

Hope that helps.

This is excellent info on why a Zero Cache setting should never be used on a device like the Fire TV with limited hard drive space. Why use the internal hard drive when you can utilize the RAM (2 GB) to buffer a video? Just think of RAM as a free ride and use case to buffer a video.
14th January 2015, 03:44 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbxx

This is excellent info on why a Zero Cache setting should never be used on a device like the Fire TV with limited hard drive space. Why use the internal hard drive when you can utilize the RAM (2 GB) to buffer a video? Just think of RAM as a free ride and use case to buffer a video.

So what settings would you suggest? I ask because the default yields problems on the Fire TV apparently.
14th January 2015, 04:45 PM |#6  
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlechest

So what settings would you suggest? I ask because the default yields problems on the Fire TV apparently.

From the Kodi Wiki. I modified the "cachemembuffersize" to 471859200 (157286400 X 3) which increases cache size to 450MB and uses 1200MB of total RAM. This setting works great because the Fire TV has 2GB RAM to work with.

3.4 Example 4
A safe setting for most devices with 1GB of RAM that should help most users "on the edge". All protocols get cached, cache rate fills up pretty much as fast as possible, and cache size is 150MB, using 400MB of ram total.
advancedsettings.xml
=================
<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize> (My Setting: 471859200)
<readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>
The Following User Says Thank You to mjbxx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mjbxx Ad-Free
25th October 2015, 09:15 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
My fire stick is stuck on the critically low on storage screen. When I try to click on the remove apps button, there is no response. I am unable to access any settings. If i unplug the firestick it always comes back to this screen. Any help would be appreciated.
19th May 2020, 11:56 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I&rsquo;m not sure how advanced all of you are but I&rsquo;ve been annoyed by this low storage message and always to &ldquo; delete up to 500 Megs of apps but all the apps uninstalled seems to change little I think the device is broken/corrupt
The contact get a call doesn&rsquo;t work. Might be the covid19 effecting other things like customer service but chat help is useless.
21st May 2020, 10:13 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
On my Firestick 2nd. gen the culprit was the /data/data/com.amazon.tv.launcher/databases/mbcache.db which had grown to nearly 1 GB.

My device is not rooted so deleting it is not an option. Somehow it did reset itself after the latest update of the amazon.tv launcher and my space came back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TShadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TShadow Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)