FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

DirecTV Now - No love for root users! [update: there's love now]

174 posts
Thanks Meter: 161

By jkchr1s, Senior Member on 1st December 2016, 12:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Update: Thanks to spotmark's discovery, DirecTV Now is working with root.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotmark

Hide My Root Apk works.

Quote:

Just installed and hid SU. I'm rooted on 5.0.5. Did you clear cache and data on Now after you installed Hide My Root?

There's a write-up and link to the apk for this on aftvnews: http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-use-d...fire-tv-stick/

If your rooted FireTV can't see the DirecTV Now app, use this link: https://www.amazon.com/AT-T-Services.../dp/B01J62Q632 and sign in to your Amazon account. On the right side, select your rooted device and click "Deliver".

----
Original post:

I signed up today for DirecTV Now only to be greeted on my FireTV with the following error:

Code:
This video failed to load. Restart the app and launch your content again. Or search for Error 40 in the Help Center. (QP1005)
Hrmm.. that's weird. So I looked up Error 40, and it says there's a network problem. I tried it on my non-rooted Nexus 6P and it worked flawlessly. So I jumped in to logcat and found some interesting messages:

Code:
I/drm_oal ( 4862): IsDeviceRooted: 0x0000000000000002
and
Code:
D/NewRelicGateway(14071): ERROR event was recorded. Error description = Failed preparing the player because device security check failed due to: (FileSystem)(com.quickplay.vstb.core:1005)
So I installed xposed and RootCloak 2 hoping it would help. I added it to the list of apps and it still had the same problem.

Next thing I did was pull the apk from my Fire TV. After some digging, I found that lib/armeabi/libdrmagent_downloadable_jni.so had some interesting strings in it, including a check for Cyanogen:
Code:
ro.build.product
ro.build.tags,release-keys,OnePlus3#%?OnePlus2#%?OnePlus#%?Z26CL#%?STUDIO_C,ro.build.type,user,#%?
ro.build.display.id,cm_,#%?,ro.build.display.id,cyanogen,#%?,ro.build.type,debug,#%?,ro.build.type,userdebug,#%?,ro.build.host,cyanogenmod,A0001#%?
and a list of strings for paths it might check:
Code:
/system/bin/su,#%?,/system/xbin/su,#%?,/sbin/su,#%?,/system/su,#%?,/system/bin/.ext/.su,#%?,/system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup,#%?,/system/xbin/mu,#%?
su,#%?,busybox,#%?
type %s
test -u `whence -p %s`
/data,#%?,/system,#%?,/system/bin,#%?,/system/sbin,#%?,/system/xbin,#%?,/vendor/bin,#%?,/sys,#%?,/sbin,#%?,/etc,#%?,/proc,#%?,/dev,#%?
/isdrmXXXXXX
Why do they even care if you're rooted?? So lame...

Since they appear to be checking for root in a C/C++ .so file, is Xposed useless here?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jkchr1s For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jkchr1s Ad-Free

1st December 2016, 01:15 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchr1s

I signed up today for DirecTV Now only to be greeted on my FireTV with the following error:

Code:
This video failed to load. Restart the app and launch your content again. Or search for Error 40 in the Help Center. (QP1005)
Hrmm.. that's weird. So I looked up Error 40, and it says there's a network problem. I tried it on my non-rooted Nexus 6P and it worked flawlessly. So I jumped in to logcat and found some interesting messages:

Code:
I/drm_oal ( 4862): IsDeviceRooted: 0x0000000000000002
and
Code:
D/NewRelicGateway(14071): ERROR event was recorded. Error description = Failed preparing the player because device security check failed due to: (FileSystem)(com.quickplay.vstb.core:1005)
So I installed xposed and RootCloak 2 hoping it would help. I added it to the list of apps and it still had the same problem.

Next thing I did was pull the apk from my Fire TV. After some digging, I found that lib/armeabi/libdrmagent_downloadable_jni.so had some interesting strings in it, including a check for Cyanogen:
Code:
ro.build.product
ro.build.tags,release-keys,OnePlus3#%?OnePlus2#%?OnePlus#%?Z26CL#%?STUDIO_C,ro.build.type,user,#%?
ro.build.display.id,cm_,#%?,ro.build.display.id,cyanogen,#%?,ro.build.type,debug,#%?,ro.build.type,userdebug,#%?,ro.build.host,cyanogenmod,A0001#%?
and a list of strings for paths it might check:
Code:
/system/bin/su,#%?,/system/xbin/su,#%?,/sbin/su,#%?,/system/su,#%?,/system/bin/.ext/.su,#%?,/system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup,#%?,/system/xbin/mu,#%?
su,#%?,busybox,#%?
type %s
test -u `whence -p %s`
/data,#%?,/system,#%?,/system/bin,#%?,/system/sbin,#%?,/system/xbin,#%?,/vendor/bin,#%?,/sys,#%?,/sbin,#%?,/etc,#%?,/proc,#%?,/dev,#%?
/isdrmXXXXXX
Why do they even care if you're rooted?? So lame...

Since they appear to be checking for root in a C/C++ .so file, is Xposed useless here?

I've read other posts from fellow rooted ftv users reporting the same thing. It would seem as if directv is following suit with PSVue in blocking rooted firetvs. It could be possible that it just won't run on any fireos older than 5.2.2.0
The Following User Says Thank You to d3adpool For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift d3adpool Ad-Free
1st December 2016, 02:52 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Same issue here. I hope someone figures out a workaround soon. I may just have to wait for my Apple TV to arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3adpool

I've read other posts from fellow rooted ftv users reporting the same thing. It would seem as if directv is following suit with PSVue in blocking rooted firetvs. It could be possible that it just won't run on any fireos older than 5.2.2.0

I was able to get the PSVue up and running using RootCloak but ended up cancelling it due to them ditching Viacom.
1st December 2016, 03:03 AM |#4  
Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 1,400

More
Hide My Root Apk works.
The Following User Says Thank You to spotmark For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift spotmark Ad-Free
1st December 2016, 03:31 AM |#5  

More
Quote:

Hide My Root Apk works.

Ahh nice! I will try it out tonight when I get home. Thanks!
1st December 2016, 09:20 AM |#6  

More
Quote:

Hide My Root Apk works.

What did you do to get it to work? I installed Hide My Root 4.0 and hid the su binary but it still doesn't work.
1st December 2016, 11:21 AM |#7  
Massachusetts

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryknow27

What did you do to get it to work? I installed Hide My Root 4.0 and hid the su binary but it still doesn't work.

Just installed and hid SU. I'm rooted on 5.0.5. Did you clear cache and data on Now after you installed Hide My Root?
1st December 2016, 04:16 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

That did it. Thanks!
1st December 2016, 08:38 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I tried Hide My Root 4.0 on a nexus 6 with android 7.0 and the app i guess doesn't work on on 7.0. Which makes sense since it hasn't been updated since 2013. It can't find my root at all.

I ended up just unrooting to try directtv now since I am currently not using the root for anything specific, but obviously I am going to want to root my phone again. Hopefully there is something found to bypass this on android 7.0.

Not even sure why they want to stop root users. I paid just like everyone else. Why crap on us? I am definitely less likely to recommend the service in the future.
1st December 2016, 08:42 PM |#10  
Massachusetts

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureca

I tried Hide My Root 4.0 on a nexus 6 with android 7.0 and the app i guess doesn't work on on 7.0. Which makes sense since it hasn't been updated since 2013. It can't find my root at all.

I ended up just unrooting to try directtv now since I am currently not using the root for anything specific, but obviously I am going to want to root my phone again. Hopefully there is something found to bypass this on android 7.0.

Not even sure why they want to stop root users. I paid just like everyone else. Why crap on us? I am definitely less likely to recommend the service in the future.

I believe I saw someone post that Sony does it as well with Vue.
1st December 2016, 10:39 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:

This didn't work for me for some reason. I have a 6P that's still on 6.0 due to Xposed. I was able to get around ps vue with root cloak though.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)