FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Disable wifi direct?

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By ExaltedVanguard, Junior Member on 14th October 2017, 04:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Is there a way to disable the wifi direct broadcast while leaving normal wifi/bluetooth operational?

Alternatively, is there a way to switch the channel that wifi-direct is broadcast on?

Currently, it defaults to the same channel that my router is broadcasting on. This is annoying for a number of reasons:
1) My router's signal overpowers my remote and it often takes fiddling to make it reconnect. I switched to a bluetooth solution.
2) Aside from being useless, the wifi-direct signal could potentially be causing wifi interference with my other devices.
3) I live in an apartment complex so wifi overcrowding/noise is already a problem that doesn't need adding to. I'm not using the signal - I may as well turn it off.

I have a rooted fire TV 2 and I'm at least somewhat familiar with adb-shell. I assume there's some config file that I can pull, edit, and push - I just have no idea where it's located.

18th October 2017, 05:43 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Been digging into this as well. It keeps causing other devices to loose connection.
22nd October 2017, 07:20 AM |#3  
Flag Near Center of Ukraine
Thanks Meter: 99

More
@ExaltedVanguard
Fire TV 2 Gen use Wi-Fi Direct for communicate with own remote
Search https://forum.xda-developers.com/fir...plete-t3629990 (OP and other posts)
22nd October 2017, 06:05 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Thanks, I found the information I needed in that post. I've condensed the relevant instructions here:
  1. Connect to rooted FireTV via adb
  2. Pull the file /system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.wifi.direct.xml to your computer so you can edit it.
    Code:
    adb pull /system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.wifi.direct.xml
  3. Comment out the <permissions> group (all 3 lines) by putting a # at the start of each line.
    Code:
    #<permissions>
    #    <feature name="android.hardware.wifi.direct" />
    #</permissions>
  4. Push the file back to your firetv (somewhere you have write permissions)
    Code:
    adb push /local/path/android.hardware.wifi.direct.xml /sdcard/android.hardware.wifi.direct.xml
  5. open up adb shell and use the following commands (requires root, you may be prompted to grant permissions on the firetv itself):
  6. Code:
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    cp /sdcard/android.hardware.wifi.direct.xml /system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.wifi.direct.xml
    chmod 644 /system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.wifi.direct.xml
    chown root:root /system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.wifi.direct.xml
    What this does is switch to root, remount the /system drive with read/write (rather than read-only), overwrite the old file with our edited one, and correct the read/write access of the file itself.
  7. Reboot. Watching through wifi analyzer, wifi direct will turn on very briefly during boot, then be disabled.
12th January 2018, 12:38 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have 2 fire sticks with same issues, both are on 6.0.0.2 so no way to be rooted right now. Any other ideas to disable wifi-direct?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)