FORUMS

Fire TV 4k not possible to set up

60 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By Retch_100, Member on 23rd March 2020, 02:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,
i've had this issue with the stock firmware so i thought installing twrp with a prerooted image should do it, but the same issue appears. After the language and network setup, the update (searching for an update) goes wrong. I've got another 2 4k's here and they work, so it's not network related.
Installing twrp and the rooted image was quite easy, nice to see twrp running on these devices.
But does a lineage or another custom rom for the 4k actually exist? I think with a clean rom the error would be gone.
I don't know how to make lineage for this device, i. just know how to install it
I've attached an image, maybe someone has an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9012.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	4977241  
The Following User Says Thank You to Retch_100 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Retch_100 Ad-Free
23rd March 2020, 08:49 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch_100

Hello,
i've had this issue with the stock firmware so i thought installing twrp with a prerooted image should do it, but the same issue appears. After the language and network setup, the update (searching for an update) goes wrong. I've got another 2 4k's here and they work, so it's not network related.
Installing twrp and the rooted image was quite easy, nice to see twrp running on these devices.
But does a lineage or another custom rom for the 4k actually exist? I think with a clean rom the error would be gone.
I don't know how to make lineage for this device, i. just know how to install it

A Lineage OS rom is still under development and not released yet. Have you tried flashing the stock image (6.2.7.1)? Flash this in recovery, to see if it fixes the update error. You may need to flash Magisk to be rooted again. And this stock image WILL NOT overwrite TWRP. The prerooted roms that are released have Magisk built in so there's nothing different between those and the stock image in which has no root at all. Let me know if you have any questions!

Stock Image for Fire TV Stick 4K: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ll...9QCMmql2Zyu8W8
23rd March 2020, 08:54 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:

Hello,
i've had this issue with the stock firmware so i thought installing twrp with a pre-rooted image should do it, but the same issue appears. After the language and network setup, the update (searching for an update) goes wrong. I've got another 2 4k's here and they work, so it's not network related.

From what I have seen, the tutorial for flashing the prerooted is really a dirty flash, and certainly from my experience (where I forgot to reset the device before flashing the image) all my apps were still there.
I'm sure you can wipe your system & data partition from TWRP, and then flash the image.

The only problem I can foresee is that the pre-rooted image might not be a full image which would cause your Firestick not to boot.
I suggest you head over to the pre-rooted image thread and ask if it's ok to wipe those partitions and also what the actual commands are.

I'm curious also - just for future reference....

p.s I just found this
https://twrp.me/faq/openrecoveryscript.html
which lists TWRP's commands, Just check first to see if it's safe to wipe those partitions.
23rd March 2020, 08:59 PM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Thuringia

More
Okay, i will install it tomorrow. Is there a Source to the lineage Development? The Stick is unusable for me, so i Would install anything to Pass the error.
@tinybilbo
Good question, i didnt Know Either what to do so i Wiped cache and dalvik and data, but That should be considered as a Dirty Flash thought, i will ask there.

@Skel40
What to Wipe before flashing?
24th March 2020, 08:25 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:

Okay, i will install it tomorrow. Is there a Source to the lineage Development? The Stick is unusable for me, so i Would install anything to Pass the error.
@tinybilbo
Good question, i didnt Know Either what to do so i Wiped cache and dalvik and data, but That should be considered as a Dirty Flash thought, i will ask there.

@Skel40

I think the system partition would be the important one to wipe, data is mostly user data from what I remember.
If Skel40's link is a full image (as the prerooted one i might be), then maybe do all the wipes and try that one 1st..
Normally when I use TWRP I don't dirty flash, and I wipe system,data,dalvik,cache...

Good luck with whatever you try
25th March 2020, 12:12 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:

Hello,

Quote:

@tinybilbo

@Skel40

You need to wipe system, data, dalvik-cache, and cache before flashing. Upon boot up after flashing 6.2.7.1, it skips the updates, I have a backup if needed!
25th March 2020, 08:19 AM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Thuringia

More
I wiped all Partitions and Flashed the Image, but it searches for backups and the error appears. Could you send me the Backup? @Skel40
26th March 2020, 11:57 AM |#8  
Quote:

I wiped all Partitions and Flashed the Image, but it searches for backups and the error appears. Could you send me the Backup? @Skel40

You wiped everything (data, system, internal, cache, dalvik). There is nothing else, if you are flashing the full stock upgrade image. The device finds remote, connects to bluetooth, then finds Wifi, connects to wifi. Then the device errors (when checking for an update). Since you bought this device used, i highly suspect the device is blacklisted. Firestick 4k's are on sale for $25 again. I would cut my loses and hope someday for a custom (you can ask for a copy of the buggy one diegocr and Rortiz2 over in the tank 12.1 thread. But it is likely unusable at this time.
26th March 2020, 12:19 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Thuringia

More
Okay thank you @Michajin
What do you think, would be installing TWRP on one of the others and restoring a backup from them onto the broken one help?
26th March 2020, 12:43 PM |#10  
Quote:

Okay thank you @Michajin
What do you think, would be installing TWRP on one of the others and restoring a backup from them onto the broken one help?

I don't think so. I believe it is sending its serial number to amazon when it connects to the internet. There used to be a work around that would bypass registration, but i believe that was blocked about a year ago. Maybe someone on here knows a work around since you have access with TWRP (file manager), If it were me, i would find the update files in TWRP and rename or delete them... i think they are in the root/system folder. Since you have a full backup i dont see much risk. If it fails to boot or work, just restore your system from a backup.
The files should be called:
device.software.ota
com.amazon.device.software.ota.override
26th March 2020, 01:02 PM |#11  
OP Member
Flag Thuringia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michajin

I don't think so. I believe it is sending its serial number to amazon when it connects to the internet. There used to be a work around that would bypass registration, but i believe that was blocked about a year ago. Maybe someone on here knows a work around since you have access with TWRP (file manager), If it were me, i would find the update files in TWRP and rename or delete them... i think they are in the root/system folder. Since you have a full backup i dont see much risk. If it fails to boot or work, just restore your system from a backup.
The files should be called:
device.software.ota
com.amazon.device.software.ota.override

Okay thanks I will see.
BTW: the Stick does not have any value to me anymore, so bricking it would be okay if I learned something this way
But it'd be better if the Stick could be resurrected to work as a Stick.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)