FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

FireTV2 Unable to complete Initial Setup - ADB/USB Debugging necessary to start root?

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By unidentified15, Junior Member on 10th September 2017, 02:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am trying to root the FireTV 2 by following this method:
AFTV News How to Root the Amazon FireTV 2

However, I am unable to block updates using my router (router completely sucks, a Sky SR102 and I have nothing better available to me).

Right now this means I am unable to make it through initial setup as described here because the FireTV 2 keeps trying to update:
MyTechJam Skip Forced FireTV Update Initial Setup
(this is supposed to work by pulling ethernet cable at certain points and then by using a Wireless Access Point then dropping it)

As I am unable to make it through the initial setup, so far I cannot enable ADB or USB debugging from the main FireTV 2 screen.

I have 3 questions about this:

1. If I go ahead and try to follow the root process at this point without enabling ADB Debugging and USB Debugging, will it brick? Or the exploit just won't work?

2. Is there any other way for me to enable ADB debugging and USB Debugging e.g. at point when I connect to computer using USB A-to-A cable?

3. If I register it on the Amazon website instead, can I bypass the initial forced update and get to the home screen?

Thanks.

PS - I have previously sucessfully rooted FireTV 1 (root, unlocked bootloader, installed TWRP and latest custom firmware) using the long method described here:
Root Amazon FireTV with DirtyCow Vulnerability
so am not entirely clueless about the process.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)