FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Getting a FTV Stick 2nd gen soon, some help needed

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By Khan_81, Junior Member on 7th July 2018, 06:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi, I´m purchasing a Fire Tv Stick 2 soon and I´d like to know if it suits my needs.

I plan to use apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Plex and Kodi. I know performance can be disappointing given the hardware but Chromecast got me used to stream my contents from the phone so I wouldn´t suffer AFTV´s interface lag. How does it behave in that regard?

Does Kodi support auto refresh rate? (If I recall correctly from a quick search on google, it worked fine before Fire OS 6)

Thanks

12th July 2018, 05:10 AM |#2  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 304

More
I have been using my firestick gen 2. Unrooted, stock launcher, for about 2 days. I have Kodi, popcorn time, etc. I haven't turned my satellite on since. I haven't noticed lag, but if you plan on streaming it's like Chromecast without casting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smittiegee19 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Smittiegee19 Ad-Free
16th July 2018, 11:45 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan_81

Hi, I´m purchasing a Fire Tv Stick 2 soon and I´d like to know if it suits my needs.

I plan to use apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Plex and Kodi. I know performance can be disappointing given the hardware but Chromecast got me used to stream my contents from the phone so I wouldn´t suffer AFTV´s interface lag. How does it behave in that regard?

Does Kodi support auto refresh rate? (If I recall correctly from a quick search on google, it worked fine before Fire OS 6)

Thanks

The fire stick doesn't support auto refresh rate switching, so no luck there. Plex works very good, as long as you play only Full HD videos, of course 4k is not supported (Plex automatically transcodes all your streams so you won't have any issue with heavy h265 compression). Of course for the same reason Netflix and Prime Video will work, just remember to always use a wall plug and not the USB port of your TV to power the stick. Kodi is a question marks it's on what you have in your library, of course very high-compressed h265 videos won't play, but for me is has been more than fine so far
16th July 2018, 04:15 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijorus

The fire stick doesn't support auto refresh rate switching, so no luck there. Plex works very good, as long as you play only Full HD videos, of course 4k is not supported (Plex automatically transcodes all your streams so you won't have any issue with heavy h265 compression). Of course for the same reason Netflix and Prime Video will work, just remember to always use a wall plug and not the USB port of your TV to power the stick. Kodi is a question marks it's on what you have in your library, of course very high-compressed h265 videos won't play, but for me is has been more than fine so far

Well, my experience says otherwise, after a week of tinkering. It exceeded my expectations (I expected a laggy interface but it´s smooth most of the time)

Tried with Kodi and SPMC and auto refresh rate works fine and, as far as I know, the cpu should be capable of h265 hardware decoding (basic compression, I guess). Perfect for the streaming friendly content in some Kodi addons.

Pleasantly surprised with this apparently limited hardware, no need for a Nvidia Shield (overkill for my needs)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)