FORUMS

need help rooting and installing TWRP on fire TV cube gen 2 running fire OS 5.2.7.2

92 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By elderwolf123, Member on 10th April 2020, 05:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have looked online and so far have found nothing in how to root and install TWRP on a fire TV(gen 2) running 5.2.7.2
24th April 2020, 03:23 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderwolf123

I have looked online and so far have found nothing in how to root and install TWRP on a fire TV(gen 2) running 5.2.7.2

You have to take off your Fire TV Cube and see the motherboard has a test point and UART contact for bootloader exploit.
24th April 2020, 11:44 AM |#3  
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmznUser444 Dev

You have to take off your Fire TV Cube and see the motherboard has a test point and UART contact for bootloader exploit.

There is no root available for the firetv cube2. Being such a low volume device I would be surprised if any development or exploits are found. What is your goal for rooting? There are alternate means to personalize these without root.
30th June 2020, 03:11 AM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michajin

There is no root available for the firetv cube2. Being such a low volume device I would be surprised if any development or exploits are found. What is your goal for rooting? There are alternate means to personalize these without root.

Trying to root to run a newer android version as some apps are unsupported. I brought it cheap for my family as I really don't have money for a decent new box
30th June 2020, 09:44 PM |#5  
Quote:

Trying to root to run a newer android version as some apps are unsupported. I brought it cheap for my family as I really don't have money for a decent new box

Well, there is no root for the cube, likely not to be any major android updates ever. Amazon usually don't do major updates. Even on the devices that have root, it takes a developer to covert a compatible rom to make work (usually with flaws). There has never been a updated custom rom that isn't based on Amazons fireOS base. To my knowledge only one fire-TV has ever even had a custom rom installed that that is the firestick2 and it was based on android 5.1 (Lineage 12.1). What apps are you specifically looking to run? Through the threads you can find some modified or look for older versions of the apps that are still compatible on apkmirror.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Quote:

I am curious, the cube2 runs android 9 which should be compatible with every app still.. Why do you believe the app's are not compatible? Do you know how to sideload apps on to the cube and how to access all apps?

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Quote:

Sorry reading through it appears you have a firetv2 not a cube... i suspect...

Amazon Fire TV Devices
Amazon Fire TV Cube (2nd Generation): Fire OS 7.2.1.2 (17951962500) (Android 9.0)
Amazon Fire TV Cube (1st Generation): Fire OS 6.2.7.1 (3590964612) (Android 7.1.2)
Amazon Fire TV (3rd Generation): Fire OS 6.2.7.1 (3590963076) (Android 7.1.2)
Amazon Fire TV (2nd Generation): Fire OS 5.2.7.3 (652613820) (Android 5.1)

You can root the fireTV but there is no way to update the base OS, it isn't an unlock and there is a newer custom rom (likely not to have one either)
Here is a link to the root solution -
https://forum.xda-developers.com/fir...lback-t3986303

Here is a link to a custom rom (it has bugs and is still android 5.1 based)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/fir...-12-1-t4016981

But back to your app issue, what specific apps were you looking to install? Maybe i have some clues, i have a couple of firetv2's i use.
1st July 2020, 12:44 AM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michajin

Well, there is no root for the cube, likely not to be any major android updates ever. Amazon usually don't do major updates. Even on the devices that have root, it takes a developer to covert a compatible rom to make work (usually with flaws). There has never been a updated custom rom that isn't based on Amazons fireOS base. To my knowledge only one fire-TV has ever even had a custom rom installed that that is the firestick2 and it was based on android 5.1 (Lineage 12.1). What apps are you specifically looking to run? Through the threads you can find some modified or look for older versions of the apps that are still compatible on apkmirror.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

I am curious, the cube2 runs android 9 which should be compatible with every app still.. Why do you believe the app's are not compatible? Do you know how to sideload apps on to the cube and how to access all apps?

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Sorry reading through it appears you have a firetv2 not a cube... i suspect...

Amazon Fire TV Devices
Amazon Fire TV Cube (2nd Generation): Fire OS 7.2.1.2 (17951962500) (Android 9.0)
Amazon Fire TV Cube (1st Generation): Fire OS 6.2.7.1 (3590964612) (Android 7.1.2)
Amazon Fire TV (3rd Generation): Fire OS 6.2.7.1 (3590963076) (Android 7.1.2)
Amazon Fire TV (2nd Generation): Fire OS 5.2.7.3 (652613820) (Android 5.1)

You can root the fireTV but there is no way to update the base OS, it isn't an unlock and there is a newer custom rom (likely not to have one either)
Here is a link to the root solution -

Here is a link to a custom rom (it has bugs and is still android 5.1 based)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/fir...-12-1-t4016981

But back to your app issue, what specific apps were you looking to install? Maybe i have some clues, i have a couple of firetv2's i use.

The ones i need are specific to Australia like 9 now, foxtel go, 7plus along with stan. There is probably more but thats all i know and i know as a fact they were developed after android 5 so finding a version that supports the fire TV gen 2 is highly unlikely
1st July 2020, 03:15 PM |#7  
Quote:

The ones i need are specific to Australia like 9 now, foxtel go, 7plus along with stan. There is probably more but thats all i know and i know as a fact they were developed after android 5 so finding a version that supports the fire TV gen 2 is highly unlikely

Fyi- from the playstore
9Now is available on Android OS 4.4 (KitKat) and above.

Foxtel GO is available for Android 5.0 and above.

For starters, typically apps are made to be compatible with some older versions of Android. You should be able to install them, function will likely need a mouse though (from my experience with play store apps on Amazon devices). Try them and see what apps don't work...
1st July 2020, 10:38 PM |#8  
Flag Hampshire, England
Thanks Meter: 110

More
Despite not being able to update Android versions - if you're still attempting to root, this method has worked for the Fire TV 2 (model number DV83YW on bottom of device) for a number of months now, and is confirmed working on 5.2.7.2 by a number of people.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)