FORUMS

Looking to use a VPN on a Firestick running KODI.

861 posts
Thanks Meter: 77

By sandman512, Senior Member on 27th December 2015, 01:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
OK, I am new to VPNS, so please bare with me. I have an Amazon Firestick with KODI installed on it. Ideally, I would like to have a VPN on this device and all my other devices for that matter. What would be the best way to go about this? Thanks!
27th December 2015, 08:55 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quick question...Are wanting to use VPN for Privacy purposes or to unblock Geo restriction?
27th December 2015, 10:10 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Sorry, should of been more specific. Privacy issues.
28th December 2015, 01:08 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman512

Sorry, should of been more specific. Privacy issues.

I'd set the client up on my router then, i'm not sure there is any "baked in" vpn client in the fire tv(stick) devices
28th December 2015, 01:13 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Froggy,
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Being new to this, can you point me in the right direction? I am currently using an Airport Extreme Router. Thanks!
28th December 2015, 05:01 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
OpenVPN App
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman512

Froggy,
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Being new to this, can you point me in the right direction? I am currently using an Airport Extreme Router. Thanks!

The openvpn app works fine on a my Fire-TV Gen 2 which I rooted yesterday. It shouldn't be a problem on a fire stick. The airport router lacks the ability to use openvpn.

That seems to be the quickest to to accomplish your goal & you could use vpn anywhere like when traveling in a hotel or whatever.
The Following User Says Thank You to C-Rooted For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift C-Rooted Ad-Free
28th December 2015, 05:36 AM |#7  
Flag lost somewhere.... Help
Thanks Meter: 316

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rooted

The openvpn app works fine on a my Fire-TV Gen 2 which I rooted yesterday. It shouldn't be a problem on a fire stick. The airport router lacks the ability to use openvpn.

That seems to be the quickest to to accomplish your goal & you could use vpn anywhere like when traveling in a hotel or whatever.

Can you give me a link to this app? Google link I am looking for a vpn to use on my AFTV2 but can it change my location so I can watch say USA programs in the UK Which would normally be blocked?
28th December 2015, 06:01 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanr1977

Can you give me a link to this app? Google link I am looking for a vpn to use on my AFTV2 but can it change my location so I can watch say USA programs in the UK Which would normally be blocked?

Looks like there are two apps called "OpenVPN" for the FireTV/Stick...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ndefined%2C148

EDIT: Nevermind...looks like not compatible with Fire TV/Stick...sorry
28th December 2015, 06:14 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanr1977

Google search for openvpn APK (Site wouldn't let me post a link until I post more) this is what i found with a google search. I downloaded it from the play store on my Nexus 7 and used an apk extractor app.

2 notes.

1. It will require an openvpn config there are links within to private tunnel. I good choice for some because you pay by the data you use. not a good choice for me because I work on an offshore faucily where I live for a week at a time. The web is heavily monitored and blocks sites such as this one for some unknown reason. So I use VPN on all devices 24/7 while at work, it is more cost effective for me to pay for a service. There are also free vpn options seperate apps, not sure how they work on fire tv, you may have to experiment. popular choices are tunnel bear, vyprvpn & cyberghost.

2. The Netflix problem. Netflix put out an update a while back that causes Netflix not to work with some VPN. It has something to do with the DNS I'm still trying to find a solution for this myself. Maybe a pro can step in & fill us both in on that part of the equation. This is my 2nd time posting on this forum.

Hopefully something I said was helpful, and not to wordy. I am an XDA noob myself. playing with a rooted AFTV 2nd Gen trying to install youtube + playstore.
28th December 2015, 08:31 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 488

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggymike911

I'd set the client up on my router then, i'm not sure there is any "baked in" vpn client in the fire tv(stick) devices

A single router VPN or double router (vpn/non-vpn) setup was the best option under Fire OS 3 (For all 1st Gen FireTV's & FireTV Sticks).

https://vpntips.com/fire-tv-vpn-install/

https://vpntips.com/how-to-unblock-a...-media-player/

Quote:

Thanks for confirming this. I've been asking if Fire OS 5 fixed the VPN shortcomings in FireTV OS 3. Glad to know it has been resolved. Root shouldn't be a factor at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl0ggs

Looks like there are two apps called "OpenVPN" for the FireTV/Stick...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ndefined%2C148

EDIT: Nevermind...looks like not compatible with Fire TV/Stick...sorry

There won't be any FireTV listed app for OpenVPN. It's more of a universal device android app.

Found this link for the PlayStore version of one of the OpenVPN apk: http://plai.de/android/
(I would choose the latest non Pre version. Not sure why they charge for the exact same app on the Amazon Store when it's free on the PlayStore)

Here is a Amazon review with how to use a PIA setup on a Fire device with Fire OS 5 using the OpenVPN app above. Since PIA hasn't updated their PIA app in a long while. ( http://www.amazon.com/review/R29NVVQ...wasThisHelpful )

Quote:

Google search for openvpn APK (Site wouldn't let me post a link until I post more) this is what i found with a google search. I downloaded it from the play store on my Nexus 7 and used an apk extractor app.

2 notes.

1. It will require an openvpn config there are links within to private tunnel. I good choice for some because you pay by the data you use. not a good choice for me because I work on an offshore faucily where I live for a week at a time. The web is heavily monitored and blocks sites such as this one for some unknown reason. So I use VPN on all devices 24/7 while at work, it is more cost effective for me to pay for a service. There are also free vpn options seperate apps, not sure how they work on fire tv, you may have to experiment. popular choices are tunnel bear, vyprvpn & cyberghost.

2. The Netflix problem. Netflix put out an update a while back that causes Netflix not to work with some VPN. It has something to do with the DNS I'm still trying to find a solution for this myself. Maybe a pro can step in & fill us both in on that part of the equation. This is my 2nd time posting on this forum.

Hopefully something I said was helpful, and not to wordy. I am an XDA noob myself. playing with a rooted AFTV 2nd Gen trying to install youtube + playstore.

Hopefully someone with a FireTV Stick with voice remote that comes pre-loaded with Fire OS 5 can test a VPN setup to let us know if 1st Gen devices wont have problems with VPN anymore. My best guess is that it wont. Thanks for the confirmation.

Can someone please confirm that a PIA OpenVPN setup works on FireTV or FireTV Sticks on Fire OS 5 ???
29th December 2015, 03:09 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Running OpenVPN on the stick might not work, at least the way you hope. OpenVPN encryption is handled by the cpu which is really weak on the fire stick. Even if it does work you might not be able to get enough throughput to maintain a video stream.

Running OpenVPN on a router is a far better idea.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)