FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Smart DNS for Netflix only - is it possible?

157 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By Lisali, Senior Member on 5th January 2015, 07:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

I'm using Amazon Fire TV in the UK. With Smart DNS, I can access the USA version of Netflix, which has a much wider choice of content. However, by doing that, my Amazon Prime account does not work any more, as Amazon does not allow you to switch regions with the same account like Netflix.

I'm wondering if there's a way to apply Smart DNS settings to certain apps only, so that I can use the USA version of Netflix, while keeping the rest of my Amazon Fire TV in the UK region?

Thank you!

5th January 2015, 08:54 PM |#2  
Flag Sarnia
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Hola for android worked for the older version of Netflix, just sideload it. Run it.. Use a mouse to select the Netflix apk and it might work.
6th January 2015, 10:57 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhumber

Hola for android worked for the older version of Netflix, just sideload it. Run it.. Use a mouse to select the Netflix apk and it might work.

Hi,

Thanks for your response - but Hola needs a rooted Android device to work, plus how do you use a mouse with Amazon Fire TV?
6th January 2015, 03:09 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisali

Hi all,

I'm using Amazon Fire TV in the UK. With Smart DNS, I can access the USA version of Netflix, which has a much wider choice of content. However, by doing that, my Amazon Prime account does not work any more, as Amazon does not allow you to switch regions with the same account like Netflix.

I'm wondering if there's a way to apply Smart DNS settings to certain apps only, so that I can use the USA version of Netflix, while keeping the rest of my Amazon Fire TV in the UK region?

Thank you!

Hi,

This can definitely work, depending on how 'smart' your DNS provider is.

Unotelly for example allows you choose channels from different countries using 'Dynamo' i.e. one DNS for all. I think smartdnsproxy does the same.

I'm in Ireland using Amazon Prime US but have used Netflix Ireland & US, BBC Iplayer etc

Unless maybe Amazon Prime UK is not supported by your DNS provider.
6th January 2015, 06:55 PM |#5  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisali

Hi all,

Thank you!

If your router can support it (Asus Merlin, Linksys DD-WRT, etc.) you should use DNSMasq.

I have a DNS service which I specify in a dnsmasq file which hosts should use the "smart" dns (everything else not specified uses my ISP's DNS).

Works great and allows every device on your network to have this functionality without any extra configuration on the OS-level.
6th January 2015, 07:26 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTO

I have a DNS service which I specify in a dnsmasq file which hosts should use the "smart" dns

I think the OP wants ability to specify smart dns for each App and not for each host
6th January 2015, 08:48 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:

If your router can support it (Asus Merlin, Linksys DD-WRT, etc.) you should use DNSMasq.

I have a DNS service which I specify in a dnsmasq file which hosts should use the "smart" dns (everything else not specified uses my ISP's DNS).

Works great and allows every device on your network to have this functionality without any extra configuration on the OS-level.

Can you post some sample configuration and where it goes for accomplishing this? I am on DD-WRT on ASUS AC1900. Thanks.
6th January 2015, 09:07 PM |#8  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdoshi

Can you post some sample configuration and where it goes for accomplishing this? I am on DD-WRT on ASUS AC1900. Thanks.

I have not used dd-wrt in a while, but you should enable dnsmasq and there should be a section called "additional dnsmasq options" with a big text box. You would enter the following:

server=/pandora.com/199.199.199.1
server=/hulu.com/199.199.199.1
server=/netflix.com/199.199.199.1

and so on...

Where 199.199.199.1 is the IP of your smart dns service. If it has multiple IPs just have multiple lines like:

server=/pandora.com/199.199.199.2
server=/hulu.com/199.199.199.2

apply changes and you should be good. If it doesn't work, you might have to use what I gave you to do some more research.
7th January 2015, 03:00 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:

I have not used dd-wrt in a while, but you should enable dnsmasq and there should be a section called "additional dnsmasq options" with a big text box. You would enter the following:

server=/netflix.com/199.199.199.1

and so on...

Where 199.199.199.1 is the IP of your smart dns service. If it has multiple IPs just have multiple lines like:

server=/pandora.com/199.199.199.2
server=/hulu.com/199.199.199.2

apply changes and you should be good. If it doesn't work, you might have to use what I gave you to do some more research.

Thanks for the info. I do use DNSMasq for blocking updates and for static IPs. Wasn't sure how to target certain hosts for particular DNS. Thanks again.
9th January 2015, 05:14 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill16

Hi,

This can definitely work, depending on how 'smart' your DNS provider is.

Unotelly for example allows you choose channels from different countries using 'Dynamo' i.e. one DNS for all. I think smartdnsproxy does the same.

I'm in Ireland using Amazon Prime US but have used Netflix Ireland & US, BBC Iplayer etc

Unless maybe Amazon Prime UK is not supported by your DNS provider.

Hi - thanks so much, great suggestion. I'll do some more digging to see if that would work. Thank you!
9th January 2015, 05:16 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

That would be ideal, yes - but it looks like my router Sky SR102 is not supported by DDWRT. Boo!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
amazon fire tv, netflix, proxy, smart dns, vpn

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)