FORUMS

Toshiba FireTV Edition Television root

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By PwncakeIronfarts, Junior Member on 19th July 2018, 02:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've read the guides on how to root FireTVs, and am fairly confident in doing so (I've tinkered with rooting phones for years, and the process seems pretty similar). My question is, how would you ADB to the FireTV?

I recently purchased one during Prime Day, and already hate FireOS (no cast? On a smart TV? Really?), to the point that I'm considering using an HDMI port for my SHIELD TV and using it instead of FireOS.

Has anyone successfully rooted a Fire TV Edition Television? If so, how'd you accomplish ADB? I've tried searching here and on Google (using keywords like television and Toshiba), but it's hard to differentiate between the Fire TV box and the actual TV.
20th July 2018, 06:36 PM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I have a Toshiba fireTV too, and I would also like to know if there are any root options available. I may try Magisck root, but for that I would need to back up the stock image for the TV in case anything goes wrong. On top of that, I am pretty sure that this method would erase all apps and settings, if it works at all. If I figure anything out with this, I will let you know.
21st July 2018, 04:50 PM |#3  
I don't believe there is anyway to currently root any of the fire tv devices. You can sideload apps through adb though. Turn on adb debugging and sideload through network. A nice easy program is adbLink. You can cast through a app called AirScreen.
9th October 2018, 04:28 PM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I have sideloaded apps but upon opening terrar., etc . the lip sync is off anyone else having this issue
16th October 2018, 07:31 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PwncakeIronfarts

I've read the guides on how to root FireTVs, and am fairly confident in doing so (I've tinkered with rooting phones for years, and the process seems pretty similar). My question is, how would you ADB to the FireTV?

I recently purchased one during Prime Day, and already hate FireOS (no cast? On a smart TV? Really?), to the point that I'm considering using an HDMI port for my SHIELD TV and using it instead of FireOS.

Has anyone successfully rooted a Fire TV Edition Television? If so, how'd you accomplish ADB? I've tried searching here and on Google (using keywords like television and Toshiba), but it's hard to differentiate between the Fire TV box and the actual TV.

My Toshiba Fire Tv stopped working the other day. At power on, it won't go past the boot screen "Toshiba Fire Tv Edition".
I found that if you hold the power button and plug the tv in, wait until you see the boot screen, let go of the power button, you find yourself at the android recovery menu where you can wipe cache, restore factory defaults, update from usb, reboot, etc. (none of which worked to get my tv working again)
The Following User Says Thank You to ky_truck_plant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ky_truck_plant Ad-Free
19th January 2019, 10:14 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
So no root so far. That's disappointing, the Fire TV OS really is lame, so many ads. I wish you could at least disable the giant banner ads at the top.
7th March 2019, 03:49 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
It Works
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky_truck_plant

My Toshiba Fire Tv stopped working the other day. At power on, it won't go past the boot screen "Toshiba Fire Tv Edition".
I found that if you hold the power button and plug the tv in, wait until you see the boot screen, let go of the power button, you find yourself at the android recovery menu where you can wipe cache, restore factory defaults, update from usb, reboot, etc. (none of which worked to get my tv working again)

Thanks, it works for me, my Toshiba fire edition tv was stuck on fire stick screen (rebooting every 10 seconds), I tried to fast boot but I had ADB debugging off, so I tried this method and it work perfectly:

-hold the power button and plug the tv in, wait until you see the boot screen, let go of the power button, you find yourself at the android recovery menu where you can wipe cache, restore factory defaults, update from usb, reboot, etc.

-I selected wipe/restored factory defaults and then selected reboot and thats it , the tv reboot like the first time

Thank you
20th May 2019, 04:40 AM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hey any updates on this? Now that 2.0 can be rooted, can the Toshiba Fire TV be as well? Thanks.
21st May 2019, 06:08 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 106
 
More
All firetv boards can be rooted except the 4k boards as the mtk board is not exploitable.

Shorting the clk point works the same on the tv's difference is you have to open the tv and the firetv board is located near the power supply as far as toshiba goes.

It takes more risk and requires a rub end tool or even speaker wire with the jacket still on the wire (not bare wire).

Its safe to short like all the other boards, but the risk is if you arc or touch a spot on the power supply you can die lol.
19th January 2020, 04:38 AM |#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonycgb2

All firetv boards can be rooted except the 4k boards as the mtk board is not exploitable.

Shorting the clk point works the same on the tv's difference is you have to open the tv and the firetv board is located near the power supply as far as toshiba goes.

It takes more risk and requires a rub end tool or even speaker wire with the jacket still on the wire (not bare wire).

Its safe to short like all the other boards, but the risk is if you arc or touch a spot on the power supply you can die lol.

What exactly are you saying? I've never rooted a television set. Are you emplying I would have to open up the television and short out one of the boards? Please explain because I'd like to root mine and you say just about any of them can be rooted but all I'm seeing is something about not electrocuting yourself in the process. Lol. So how do you recommend I root my Toshiba fire television and should I have the fire department parked out front in case it lights both me and the house on 🔥. In all seriousness I would like some advice to root my tv.
16th February 2020, 02:58 AM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 72
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiffholychurch

So no root so far. That's disappointing, the Fire TV OS really is lame, so many ads. I wish you could at least disable the giant banner ads at the top.

You can use an ad blocker app from F-Droid (i.e. Blokada, AdGuard, DNS66).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes