VPN for Firestick and PIA

Search This thread

arrosen

Apr 19, 2011
Hi

I have a Gen 2 Firestick, and I would like to run it over a VPN using PIA as the provider. I know that this has been covered many times, but I have some specific questions I was hoping someone could answer.

The best solution would be to install VPN software on my ASUS router. My router supports Open VPN, but I also want to watch Netflix on the same network (I DO NOT want to geo-unlock any content...just the same US based content I watch now), so I don't think this is an option.

Second best solution is to put a VPN client on the FIreStick, but I can only find a few solutions (IPVanish, etc.) which are slow, expensive and don't generally have good reviews.

Is there a third option? Can I somehow use a second router to partition my network and connect that router through the VPN so that only connections going through that router will be VPN-enabled? In this case, I won't connect my Netfilx-devices to this router. If someone can point me to instructions as to how to do this, it would be great.

Is there some other option?

Thanks!

klobster

Dec 3, 2009
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I mean I could say "whats your router?" and go slog through the searches and how-tos to determine what you ACTUALLY can and can't do, but it's friday and I'm about to get high and watch The Path :). Go look at your router vpn setup, and see what you ACTUALLY have as options. You will likely find your answer, if not tell me what you found and if I can help I will.

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Hi

I have a Gen 2 Firestick, and I would like to run it over a VPN using PIA as the provider. I know that this has been covered many times, but I have some specific questions I was hoping someone could answer.

The best solution would be to install VPN software on my ASUS router. My router supports Open VPN, but I also want to watch Netflix on the same network (I DO NOT want to geo-unlock any content...just the same US based content I watch now), so I don't think this is an option.

Second best solution is to put a VPN client on the FIreStick, but I can only find a few solutions (IPVanish, etc.) which are slow, expensive and don't generally have good reviews.

Is there a third option? Can I somehow use a second router to partition my network and connect that router through the VPN so that only connections going through that router will be VPN-enabled? In this case, I won't connect my Netfilx-devices to this router. If someone can point me to instructions as to how to do this, it would be great.

Thanks!
You're over complicating things.

I run FTV1's. Which are very closely comparable with FTVS2's. Basically they are AFTV2's with a USB port. I run the latest PIA Android App (You can get it from PIA's site) on them. That App lets me choose what Apps use the VPN on a per app basis. So you can choose to keep Netflix on your unprotected side if you wish. Just go into settings. Play with them till you get them right for you & reboot your AFTV2.

Your AFTV2 should be able to handle even the highest security settings on it. I was surprised how well this works on FireOS 5. It does not slowdown my FTV1 at all. I from time to time check my DNS & IP address from a browser. And it's always been protected.

Last edited:
Reactions: arrosen

arrosen

Apr 19, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I really wanted a router based VPN, but that just isn't possible if I want Netflix, unless I load Tomato or DD-WRT on the router, which I don't have the time for right now.

So, I sideloaded OpenVPN, imported the appropriate .ovpn file, and everything is now working perfectly!

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
For me the latest PIA APK has worked flawlessly. I wish the Windows version had the Per APP option.

LFP5BUzsbpNtZirhyPCNqe7a9Lu0afbZRmhpwbggsMrDqIMqLO0q-nGvDJZEjVvRoA=h900

nhow

Sep 28, 2010
How did you install it?

PIA works well on my FTV2. All my apps work well with PIA, excluding Netflix. Netflix I run w/o PIA.

I installed the apk version from PIA site on my 2nd gen fire tv stick. At first it worked in a very limited way. It auto selected California and masked my IP address. No way to select regions. Then after a few days it no longer worked. It auto selected either Southampton or London and didn't mask my IP. How did you install yours? Thanks.

Update: I installed indigo on my fire tv stick. It indicated that my external IP address was different from my actual IP. So I guess, even though I haven't figured out a way to change regions PIA is working in a limited way.

Last edited:

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
I installed the apk version from PIA site on my 2nd gen fire tv stick. At first it worked in a very limited way. It auto selected California and masked my IP address. No way to select regions. Then after a few days it no longer worked. It auto selected either Southampton or London and didn't mask my IP. How did you install yours? Thanks.

Update: I installed indigo on my fire tv stick. It indicated that my external IP address was different from my actual IP. So I guess, even though I haven't figured out a way to change regions PIA is working in a limited way.
Use a mouse app like mouse toggle or other(s) to change any/all settings.

Last edited:

nhow

Sep 28, 2010
How do you install Cetus mouse on fire tv stick? I have downloader app installed.

OK, so I managed to install CetusPlay on my tablet and my fire stick. I can activate the mouse and get a pointer but it will not click to select.

Last edited:

Tripledrop

Aug 28, 2010
Birmingham
I have mouse toggle installed, but I want to select the per app settings in PIA, but I cannot scroll down the settings screen... I can only select those apps that fit on the screen without scrolling

Any ideas?

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
I have mouse toggle installed, but I want to select the per app settings in PIA, but I cannot scroll down the settings screen... I can only select those apps that fit on the screen without scrolling

Any ideas?
Easy. Use the 3 bars button to scroll up & the forward button to scroll down. Then to see the ones all the way to the bottom click & hold the OK/Select button & click the down arrow. The same basic strolling works up by holding the OK/Select button & clicking the up arrow. Very easy to do. Although it might require both hands.

Reactions: Tripledrop

Tripledrop

Aug 28, 2010
Birmingham
Easy. Use the 3 bars button to scroll up & the forward button to scroll down. Then to see the ones all the way to the bottom click & hold the OK/Select button & click the down arrow. The same basic strolling works up by holding the OK/Select button & clicking the up arrow. Very easy to do. Although it might require both hands.

Perfect, thanks so much, now I only have Hulu and HBO now going through vpn, everything else (Netflix, amazon etc) doesn't

Edit: spoke too soon.. Although Netflix is set to not go through vpn, still showing US shows..

Edit 2: all ok after a restart!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

Thanks!
    You're over complicating things.

I run FTV1's. Which are very closely comparable with FTVS2's. Basically they are AFTV2's with a USB port. I run the latest PIA Android App (You can get it from PIA's site) on them. That App lets me choose what Apps use the VPN on a per app basis. So you can choose to keep Netflix on your unprotected side if you wish. Just go into settings. Play with them till you get them right for you & reboot your AFTV2.

Your AFTV2 should be able to handle even the highest security settings on it. I was surprised how well this works on FireOS 5. It does not slowdown my FTV1 at all. I from time to time check my DNS & IP address from a browser. And it's always been protected.

Any ideas?