FireTV 2 Recovery Installer [v3]

Search This thread

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
bricked.. and did this..
went threw the first time no errors. i used an sdcard for the ramdisk.
but nothing happened.. it said finished press any key or such.. so i did.. sd card was in box.. and power cycled... went to amazon white logo and nothing.. wouldnt boot to recovery.
so i tried to install this again.... now i get an error
"source file is larger than target"
Code:
Waiting for preloader...
Found port = COM10
Handshake complete!
Injecting 2ndinit...
Mediatek Inject, git version fa8d8f
Locating the partition...
Reading 000000200: 100%
Reading 000000400: 100%
Opening the filesystem...
Reading 0058E0400: 100%
Reading 0058E0800: 100%
Locating the target file...
Reading 0058E8C00: 100%
Reading 0058E1000: 100%
Reading 0058E9000: 100%
Reading 0058E5000: 100%
Opening the target file...
error: source file is larger than target file!
Injecting 2ndinitstub...
Mediatek Inject, git version fa8d8f
Locating the partition...
Reading 000000200: 100%
Reading 000000400: 100%
Opening the filesystem...
Reading 0058E0400: 100%
Reading 0058E0800: 100%
Locating the target file...
Reading 0058E8C00: 100%
Reading 0058E1000: 100%
Reading 0058E9000: 100%
Reading 0058E5000: 100%
Opening the target file...
error: source file is larger than target file!
Press any key to continue . . .

any ideas?

Use the Unbrick Image

zeroepoch

bricked.. and did this..
went threw the first time no errors. i used an sdcard for the ramdisk.
but nothing happened.. it said finished press any key or such.. so i did.. sd card was in box.. and power cycled... went to amazon white logo and nothing.. wouldnt boot to recovery.
so i tried to install this again.... now i get an error
"source file is larger than target"

any ideas?

It's saying the file the installer is trying to install is too large. You could try using the unbrick image method.

adam_ky

Feb 3, 2014
I tried both ramdisk and unbrick.img
I get the same thing.

The first time I did this (when it completed), I was using the unbrick.img option with the ramdisk on the micro SD card. It just never went to recovery after power cycle.

So I figured something didn't go right and tried it again. That's when I get the Target size error trying either method.

Last edited:
Reactions: Servet83

Servet83

Sep 28, 2016
I tried both ramdisk and unbrick.img
I get the same thing.

The first time I did this (when it completed), I was using the unbrick.img option with the ramdisk on the micro SD card. It just never went to recovery after power cycle.

So I figured something didn't go right and tried it again. That's when I get the Target size error trying either method.

Could you solve this problem?

Hello again people, how are you all? Great I hope, plodding along here. I managed to root, install twrp and Roms on firetv stick 1, tank, mantis and am about to buy a firetv 2nd gen if it's modifiable, im needing to obviously know if the latest software versions up to this day can still be worked around for root and installing twrp magisk/supersu etc. Any help or pointers greatly appreciated as always guys. Thank you

❤️❤️❤️?

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Hello again people, how are you all? Great I hope, plodding along here. I managed to root, install twrp and Roms on firetv stick 1, tank, mantis

Further bricks? ;)

and am about to buy a firetv 2nd gen if it's modifiable, im needing to obviously know if the latest software versions up to this day can still be worked around for root and installing twrp magisk/supersu etc. Any help or pointers greatly appreciated as always guys. Thank you

If you mean the second gen fireTV with the sdcard slot, then yes, it's rootable with the shorting method here:

root thread

Works like the first gen stick with the prerooted roms / supersu (no magisk jet).

speck1234

Jan 27, 2017
Any luck with the rooting and custom rom stuff for people like me who are stuck on the Fire OS 5.2.9.4 in 2023 and cannot downgrade?

Any luck with the rooting and custom rom stuff for people like me who are stuck on the Fire OS 5.2.9.4 in 2023 and cannot downgrade?
Once you unlock the sloane ( if you have one) there is no reason why you can't use any other firmware. Just don't jump to high or too low.

Eg flash 5.2.7.1 before you flash 5.2.7. 9 etc

Read the Op in unlock thread for more info.

I have two sloane both work perfect. One was on latest I unlocked and went back to 5.2. 7.4 and just updated webview and store apks.

All good

Regards a

speck1234

Jan 27, 2017
Once you unlock the sloane ( if you have one) there is no reason why you can't use any other firmware. Just don't jump to high or too low.

Eg flash 5.2.7.1 before you flash 5.2.7. 9 etc

Read the Op in unlock thread for more info.

I have two sloane both work perfect. One was on latest I unlocked and went back to 5.2. 7.4 and just updated webview and store apks.

All good

Regards a
I do have the sloane I'm just stuck on 5.2.9.4 the latest. What is this "unlock" you speak of?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [size=+2]This only works if you are on a software version BEFORE 5.2.1.0![/size]

This will allow you to install recovery easily whether you are rooted or not. The downloads will be numbered starting at v1, and at the bottom of the post it will explain what is contained within each version.

You must extract the installer zip and a recovery zip to the same directory.

Versions for Linux, OSX, and Windows are included. I have not tested the OSX version. Running it won't cause any damage, so don't be afraid to try it. Please let me know if it works.

After extracting the zips, run the .bat file for Windows or the .sh script for Linux and OSX. Make sure the USB cable is connected and if using Windows your drivers are set up. Then power cycle the firetv and the script should start. It should take about 5 minutes to run.

You must copy the ramdisk-recovery.cpio.lzma to USB storage or an sdcard. This must be plugged in when you boot after running the script. The one catch is you need to have a USB keyboard plugged in to select Recovery from bootmenu. So either use an sdcard, a usb hub, or unplug the USB storage once the splash screen shows up and plug in a keyboard.

The first thing you should do after booting in to recovery is to install a prerooted rom. This will fully install recovery so you won't need the ramdisk on external storage anymore.

Source Code
    You can find the source code here:
    https://github.com/androidrbox/mediatek-preloader-tools

NOTE
    This method is only for people on 100% stock rom or people who have rooted with the previous method. Once you install recovery with firetv2_recovery zip file or install a prerooted rom, this method will not work.

Thanks to everyone who has donated to me and those that helped to get me my FireTV 2. Thanks to @zeroepoch, without his work, this wouldn't be possible.

Changelog and Downloads:
    • February 9, 2016 - v3 (md5sum: d9432930b8a6d50b6b09c31ef698b209)
      • Fixed the windows bat file
      • Everything else same as last
    • February 8, 2016 - v2 (md5sum: 05ddfdf84d4298eb2935acc02c94b70c)
      • This adds error checking to the .sh and .bat file to make sure all the files exist before attempting to start. (Thanks to @ImCoKeMaN for the idea)
      • This comes with the same version of mediatek_inject.
    • February 6, 2016 - v1 (md5sum: b55c61075607fe5d716355dbd8b03a2c)
      • This comes with mediatek_inject version fa8d8f.
    Awesome work!

For those who need a step-by-step guide with screenshots:
    [GUIDE] How to Root a Fire TV 2 by installing rbox's Pre-Rooted Image

[VIDEO GUIDE]
    md5 = b55c61075607fe5d716355dbd8b03a2c ?

I'm just trying to make sure people are paying attention, haha. Not really. I corrected it.
    You're using a 32bit ubuntu I assume? How easy would it be to switch to a 64bit version?

Yep, Ubuntu 15.10 (32-bit)
    It was the image prepared by someone on this forum, so others may run in to the same problem.

Not sure how hard it is to prepare a 64-bit Ubuntu VM.
    When it's waiting on pre loader, the Fire TV just reboots and doesn't catch the pre loader.
    Maybe a driver issue. which I don't know how to resolve

@AFTVnews.com has an excellent guide: http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-root-the-amazon-fire-tv-2/