FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

FireTV 1 (bueller) Full Bootloader Unlock

1,590 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,969

By rbox, Recognized Developer on 15th February 2015, 11:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is only for FireTV 1 running version 51.1.0.2 software.

Unlike FireTV Partial Bootloader Unlock, this is a full bootloader unlock. fastboot flash and fastboot boot will both work. Of course you need an A to A USB cable to take advantage of it.

This is a tool to run on your Fire TV that will unlock the bootloader and then reboot. For now, this requires root. Apparently, the IDs that are required for this can be gotten through fastboot, so if someone can figure that out, then brand new Fire TVs with 51.1.0.2 or older can be unlocked and have recovery installed before booting the first time. Please refer to the linked thread below for more information.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Using this tool won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things afterwards might.

This was all code I had written for recovery before the partial unlock, just tweaked to be used in this situation. Thanks to http://forum.xda-developers.com/kind...tware-t3030281 for showing what needed to be encrypted.

I have also published the full source at: https://github.com/androidrbox/aftv-full-unlock

To use:
  1. Downgrade: You must first downgrade to 51.1.0.2. If you already have CWM installed, you can skip this.
  2. adb push aftv-full-unlock /data/local/tmp/
  3. adb shell
  4. chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/aftv-full-unlock
  5. su
  6. /data/local/tmp/aftv-full-unlock

If after it reboots and you run 'adb shell' and you get a root prompt, it has worked.

* Feb 16, 2015: The binary has been updated. The old version was unable to unlock certain Fire TVs. If you've already unlocked, you are fine. If it failed, this one should work.

You can download it here
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]

16th February 2015, 04:11 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thank you
16th February 2015, 04:19 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 254

More
Wow! And I just ordered a fastboot cable 2 days ago...this is pretty amazing. Thanks!

Actually...it appears the aftvnews guide is linking to a 3.0 usb A to A, NOT a fastboot cable. Is this just a regular usb we need? Will a usb 2.0 work? I know I have one of those on hand...

Edit--got my answer. No fastboot cable needed and usb 2.0 should work. Now I'm wondering if an android terminal for a phone or tablet would work as that would be real convenient but I'm guessing not since its not mentioned.
16th February 2015, 04:59 AM |#6  
Long Island, NY
Thanks Meter: 433

More
Could you clarify step 1? Does it mean if your already rooted you and have cwm, that you can skip downgrading to 51.1.0.2 ?

Reason I ask is I'm on 5.1.1.3.0, and ran the aftv-full-unlock, it did it's thing, rebooted. I rebooted to fastboot to do some tests.

Code:
C:\Android>fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader)    Device tampered: false
(bootloader)    Device unlocked: true
OKAY [  0.008s]
finished. total time: 0.008s

C:\Android>fastboot boot firetv-cwm_recovery-6.0.5.1.2.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.269s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: boot not allowed for locked hw)
finished. total time: 0.286s

C:\Android>
16th February 2015, 06:25 AM |#7  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxferro

Could you clarify step 1? Does it mean if your already rooted you and have cwm, that you can skip downgrading to 51.1.0.2 ?

Reason I ask is I'm on 5.1.1.3.0, and ran the aftv-full-unlock, it did it's thing, rebooted. I rebooted to fastboot to do some tests.

Code:
C:\Android>fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader)    Device tampered: false
(bootloader)    Device unlocked: true
OKAY [  0.008s]
finished. total time: 0.008s

C:\Android>fastboot boot firetv-cwm_recovery-6.0.5.1.2.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.269s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: boot not allowed for locked hw)
finished. total time: 0.286s

C:\Android>

Hrm, if cwm works, then you are on the correct bootloader. Can you try running the unlock again and paste the output? Can you also run these 2 commands:

cat /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/manfid
cat /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/serial
16th February 2015, 06:58 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
some questions.
1. Must you "aftv-unlock lock" re-lock the partial unlock which might be there, before one does an "aftv-full-unlock" full unlock of the bootloader?

2. aftv-news states as long as you are on any of rbox's pre-rooted custom roms. So cwm 6.5.0.1.4a and 5.1.4.1_user_514013920 from rbox is not an issue.

3. will bootmenu be an issue with that rbox custom rom.

3. which keys are the sleep, vol up , vol down keys on a logitech k400r keyboard.

4. I could only fnd that it states using a linux environment. what about a windows environment and using Koush's universal adb driver or is there another driver needed for a firetv.

thanks.

sorry to ask. I'm just having issues connecting
16th February 2015, 07:01 AM |#9  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp201

some questions.
1. Must you "aftv-unlock lock" re-lock the partial unlock which might be there, before one does an "aftv-full-unlock" full unlock of the bootloader?

2. aftv-news states as long as you are on any of rbox's pre-rooted custom roms. So cwm 6.5.0.1.4a and 5.1.4.1_user_514013920 from rbox is not an issue.

3. will bootmenu be an issue with that rbox custom rom.

3. which keys are the sleep, vol up , vol down keys on a logitech k400r keyboard.

4. I could only fnd that it states using a linux environment. what about a windows environment and using Koush's universal adb driver or is there another driver needed for a firetv.

thanks.

sorry to ask. I'm just having issues connecting

1. no, partial doesn't matter
2. yes, if you have cwm working, then you are good
3. if bootmenu is working for you already, this won't change that
4. there are tons of threads already that talk about using logitech stuff
5. there are tons of threads on how to get adb working
The Following User Says Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th February 2015, 08:14 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thanks for your work on this rbox

I have a (noob) question; are the DRM keys still intact after the full unlock?
16th February 2015, 10:37 AM |#11  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Will this work with emmc hardware root on latest software?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)