FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

FireTV Partial Bootloader Unlock

1,606 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,062

By rbox, Recognized Developer on 2nd November 2014, 01:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Well it's a little early for Christmas... but here is a special gift. This will allow the bootloader to load things from boot or recovery without them needing to be patched. This is not a full unlock and will not enable fastboot boot or fastboot flash. Obviously this will only work if you are rooted.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Using this tool won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things afterwards might. I will stress here that flashing something bad to boot is a guaranteed way to brick because if the kernel can't boot you have no way to get back to recovery. For testing kernels, it's best to flash recovery to the boot partition and the new kernel to test to the recovery partition.

To use:
  1. Downgrade: You must first downgrade to 51.1.0.2. If you already have CWM installed, you can skip this.
  2. adb push aftv-unlock /data/local/tmp/
  3. adb shell
  4. chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/aftv-unlock
  5. su
  6. /data/local/tmp/aftv-unlock unlock

Afterwards you should see this message:

Code:
Attempting to unlock... 
All done!
If not, something went wrong. If for whatever reason you want to relock the bootloader, you can use this command:

Code:
/data/local/tmp/aftv-unlock lock
You can download it here.
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]

2nd November 2014, 02:42 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
WOW, just WOW, awesome work rbox!
I was definitely not expecting this.
2nd November 2014, 03:34 AM |#3  
Flag Ocala
Thanks Meter: 2,357

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox

Well it's a little early for Christmas... but here is a special gift. This will allow the bootloader to load things from boot or recovery without them needing to be patched. This is not a full unlock and will not enable fastboot boot or fastboot flash. Obviously this will only work if you are rooted.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Using this tool won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things afterwards might. I will stress here that flashing something bad to boot is a guaranteed way to brick because if the kernel can't boot you have no way to get back to recovery. For testing kernels, it's best to flash recovery to the boot partition and the new kernel to test to the recovery partition.

To use:

1. Downgrade: You must first downgrade to 51.1.0.2. If you already have CWM installed, you can skip this.
  2. adb push aftv-unlock /data/local/tmp/
  3. adb shell

4. chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/aftv-unlock
  5. su
  6. /data/local/tmp/aftv-unlock unlock

Afterwards you should see this message:

Code:
Attempting to unlock... 
All done!
If not, something went wrong. If for whatever reason you want to relock the bootloader, you can use this command:

Code:
/data/local/tmp/aftv-unlock lock
You can download it here.

Congrats to you

And Merry Christmas to us FTV users!

BTW, could you please tell me the console messages for lock failure and unlock failure? (may they never occur)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jocala For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jocala Ad-Free
2nd November 2014, 03:47 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 147

More
Awesome!
Thanks man!
2nd November 2014, 08:06 AM |#5  
Flag san diego
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-KwiK

Awesome!
Thanks man!

maybe we can get some real mods for this device now. different roms and what not.

just ran the unlock and it worked like a charm
2nd November 2014, 11:26 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Rbox do you know if the bootloader can boot from usb?
2nd November 2014, 12:45 PM |#7  
Flag West Hartford
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Does this require a minimal CWM version of yours?
I installed your Recovery (CWM) - on all 4 of my AFTVs - when you first released it ..

I've not had any reason to upgrade to the latest versions.... I'm just using the heck outta the AFTV as it is built, with all the nice rooted options. I really don't need anything else yet, so ...

with that said " can I just install this unlock-lock feature? "
2nd November 2014, 03:11 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Truly amazing. Can't wait for full fledged android on this.
2nd November 2014, 04:29 PM |#9  
Flag Nuremberg
Thanks Meter: 142

Donate to Me
More
Nice to see this, but it doesn't help much when you have a Fire TV with a non-rootable firmware.
2nd November 2014, 05:05 PM |#10  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,062

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmandawg

Rbox do you know if the bootloader can boot from usb?

The bootloader will only boot from the boot partition or the recovery partition on the mmc. But I'm working on a boot menu that will allow you to easily boot additional kernels which can then load your os from wherever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toe-rag

I installed your Recovery (CWM) - on all 4 of my AFTVs - when you first released it ..

I've not had any reason to upgrade to the latest versions.... I'm just using the heck outta the AFTV as it is built, with all the nice rooted options. I really don't need anything else yet, so ...

with that said " can I just install this unlock-lock feature? "

Yes. This is independent of anything. The only dependence is the latest version of CWM requires it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd November 2014, 08:01 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 278

More
I installed ccm when you first released it then upgraded to the latest firmware the other night. Thanks a lot btw! But, can I assume (as a novice) this is not something I need to do right now. What I mean is is this just for people that want to experiment with new kernels or is there some advantage I'm missing? Thanks again and sorry if my question is a little too basic for this thread. I'm just genuinely curious.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)