FireTV Partial Bootloader Unlock

Search This thread

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Well it's a little early for Christmas... but here is a special gift. This will allow the bootloader to load things from boot or recovery without them needing to be patched. This is not a full unlock and will not enable fastboot boot or fastboot flash. Obviously this will only work if you are rooted.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Using this tool won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things afterwards might. I will stress here that flashing something bad to boot is a guaranteed way to brick because if the kernel can't boot you have no way to get back to recovery. For testing kernels, it's best to flash recovery to the boot partition and the new kernel to test to the recovery partition.

To use:
  1. Downgrade: You must first downgrade to 51.1.0.2. If you already have CWM installed, you can skip this.
  2. adb push aftv-unlock /data/local/tmp/
  3. adb shell
  4. chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/aftv-unlock
  5. su
  6. /data/local/tmp/aftv-unlock unlock

Afterwards you should see this message:

Code:
Attempting to unlock... 
All done!

If not, something went wrong. If for whatever reason you want to relock the bootloader, you can use this command:

Code:
/data/local/tmp/aftv-unlock lock

You can download it here.

jmandawg

Dec 10, 2009
WOW, just WOW, awesome work rbox!
I was definitely not expecting this.

Last edited:

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Well it's a little early for Christmas... but here is a special gift. This will allow the bootloader to load things from boot or recovery without them needing to be patched. This is not a full unlock and will not enable fastboot boot or fastboot flash. Obviously this will only work if you are rooted.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Using this tool won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things afterwards might. I will stress here that flashing something bad to boot is a guaranteed way to brick because if the kernel can't boot you have no way to get back to recovery. For testing kernels, it's best to flash recovery to the boot partition and the new kernel to test to the recovery partition.

To use:
  1. Downgrade: You must first downgrade to 51.1.0.2. If you already have CWM installed, you can skip this.
  3. adb shell

5. su

Code:
Attempting to unlock... 
All done!

If not, something went wrong. If for whatever reason you want to relock the bootloader, you can use this command:

Code:

Congrats to you :)

And Merry Christmas to us FTV users!

BTW, could you please tell me the console messages for lock failure and unlock failure? (may they never occur)

Last edited:

toe-rag

Feb 28, 2012
West Hartford
Does this require a minimal CWM version of yours?

I installed your Recovery (CWM) - on all 4 of my AFTVs - when you first released it ..

I've not had any reason to upgrade to the latest versions.... I'm just using the heck outta the AFTV as it is built, with all the nice rooted options. I really don't need anything else yet, so ...

with that said " can I just install this unlock-lock feature? "

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Rbox do you know if the bootloader can boot from usb?

The bootloader will only boot from the boot partition or the recovery partition on the mmc. But I'm working on a boot menu that will allow you to easily boot additional kernels which can then load your os from wherever you want.

I installed your Recovery (CWM) - on all 4 of my AFTVs - when you first released it ..

I've not had any reason to upgrade to the latest versions.... I'm just using the heck outta the AFTV as it is built, with all the nice rooted options. I really don't need anything else yet, so ...

Yes. This is independent of anything. The only dependence is the latest version of CWM requires it.

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
I installed ccm when you first released it then upgraded to the latest firmware the other night. Thanks a lot btw! But, can I assume (as a novice) this is not something I need to do right now. What I mean is is this just for people that want to experiment with new kernels or is there some advantage I'm missing? Thanks again and sorry if my question is a little too basic for this thread. I'm just genuinely curious.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I installed ccm when you first released it then upgraded to the latest firmware the other night. Thanks a lot btw! But, can I assume (as a novice) this is not something I need to do right now. What I mean is is this just for people that want to experiment with new kernels or is there some advantage I'm missing? Thanks again and sorry if my question is a little too basic for this thread. I'm just genuinely curious.

If you don't care about updating your CWM version, or using any of the other cool things I'll release in the future that needs it, then no. You don't need to do this.

Reactions: KLit75

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
Thanks for the response. I did, in fact just update cwm and am running your latest fw update. I guess "need" isn't the right word. But if I unlock it tonight the cool stuff is still forthcoming.
Sorry just 2 questions:
1. Unlocking and keeping it unlocked indefinetly is ok?
And here's one that s on a slightly different subject...
2. I noticed updating with your fw saves my settings. Is there a safe way to factory restore using cwm without the risk of losing root?
That's actually the one I'm most interested in now. My aftv has been having issues that are hard to troubleshoot. An option to factory restore would be great. I mostly use it for xbmc so the only thing I care about losing is root. Thanks.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Thanks for the response. I did, in fact just update cwm and am running your latest fw update. I guess "need" isn't the right word. But if I unlock it tonight the cool stuff is still forthcoming.
Sorry just 2 questions:
1. Unlocking and keeping it unlocked indefinetly is ok?
And here's one that s on a slightly different subject...
2. I noticed updating with your fw saves my settings. Is there a safe way to factory restore using cwm without the risk of losing root?
That's actually the one I'm most interested in now. My aftv has been having issues that are hard to troubleshoot. An option to factory restore would be great. I mostly use it for xbmc so the only thing I care about losing is root. Thanks.

Of course keeping it locked is fine... i wouldn't have released the tool if it wasn't.

As I've stated in MANY OTHER THREADS... factory reset in CWM is perfectly fine and has nothing to do with root.

Reactions: KLit75

barrist

Apr 25, 2009
Ottawa
Thanks for this! Was very happy that the AFTV i ordered from eBay was rootable.

at the risk of being "that guy", can someone explain to a relative dummy like me the future potential with an unlocked bootloader? are we talking maybe an Android TV rom down the road? .. Apologies in advance

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Thanks for this! Was very happy that the AFTV i ordered from eBay was rootable.

at the risk of being "that guy", can someone explain to a relative dummy like me the future potential with an unlocked bootloader? are we talking maybe an Android TV rom down the road? .. Apologies in advance

Nothing that people couldn't already do with my old CWM. Custom ROMs and whatnot has been possible for a while. This just makes things a little easier because kernels don't need to be patched.

Reactions: barrist

schneid

Dec 3, 2007
In the wind
Yea! Install failed yesterday. I've had SU problems I think. Couldn't get the # prompt. Reinstalled latest ROM and SL'd SU from the store. The Unlock finally took. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

To use:
    3. adb shell
    5. su

Code:
    Attempting to unlock... 
    All done!

Code:

Rbox do you know if the bootloader can boot from usb?

The bootloader will only boot from the boot partition or the recovery partition on the mmc. But I'm working on a boot menu that will allow you to easily boot additional kernels which can then load your os from wherever you want.

Yes. This is independent of anything. The only dependence is the latest version of CWM requires it.

To use:
    3. adb shell

5. su

Code:
    Attempting to unlock... 
    All done!

Code:

Congrats to you :)

And Merry Christmas to us FTV users!

BTW, could you please tell me the console messages for lock failure and unlock failure? (may they never occur)
    Fire HDX bootloader has been unlocked, can our bootloader be unlocked in a similar manner? http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hd...bootloader-unlock-procedure-software-t3030281
    I faintly remember jcase saying his version of an unlock works on HDX and Fire TV.
    Nevermind: it works! http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58845492&postcount=27
    EDIT 2: I have tested it myself and can confirm it works.
    I always wondered how you were supposed to unlock these things properly. It's interesting to see the flash command isn't totally blocked out and it allows you to flash the unlock. Why did it take you multiple times?
    I didn't know the leading 0's for the serial number were needed, unlike the leading 0's for manfid. I had the signer running on linux vm, and replacing the signed file on my mac.