FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[NEWBIE GUIDE] How to Unlock Bootloader/Root and install Addons FireStick 4k

54 posts
Thanks Meter: 16

By nandroidint, Member on 6th December 2019, 06:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
None of this is my work and all recognition goes to the awesome developers that made this possible, I will link their guides in here with some minor notes for newbies like me that may had some issues trying to unlock and root the Fire Stick (FS) 4K

DISCLAIMER: BE WARNED THAT YOU HAVE TO OPEN YOUR FIRE STICK AND IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY, THIS IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART AND NEITHER THE DEVELOPERS OR MYSELF ARE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE OR VOID YOUR WARRANTY

Ok, now let's begin:

UPDATE: Per Sus_i, this makes perfect sense:

"Since the exploit can't be patched, it's in my opinion the best to do the setup at the beginning, pair the remote, then update to the latest over fireOS. That way you avoid a pending update nag setup screen after doing the exploit. Then enable ADB and unknown sources. After kamakiri I would flash only magisk.zip + sideload the manager app with adb... and avoid any prerooted rom flashing until there is an update to a somewhat higher version (and the current 6.2.6.8v1 has that contact manufacturer error screen)."

First very important, I wish I would have known this before but make sure you have a Laptop and a Monitor to Connect the FS to, so basically the USB Power cable from the FS connect it to your laptop and connect the HDMI portion to a monitor or TV
I also strongly recommend to have your FS deregistered before continuing as this will prevent your FS from automatically updating after rooting

In order to unlock the bootloader follow "THIS GUIDE"

I made a quick video on how to open your device and how to Short it using Aluminum Foil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4I6ifBLWJ4

Process is pretty self explanitory, make a USB ISO from the image provided on that thread, boot into it and open terminal, make sure you put the file he provides on a RW location, my mistake was that I put it inside a RO folder and it would not load the script, so I mounted the kamakiri-mantis-v1.2.zip unto the /mnt directory of the usb and I was able to run the script successfully, make sure to run the commands quickly as the first time that I it finished the ./bootrom-step.sh script and I left it sitting for 10 minutes to grab a bite, I couldn't run the second script and had to start all over. After the second ./fastboot-step.sh script, your device will be on the TWRP recovery, now on the same terminal page or a new one enter these commands:

Code:
adb devices
adb shell
exit
You should see your device's serial number from the first command with "device" to the right of it and the second command will basically put you inside the device's directory assuming you have established a successful connection. The last command just put you back to your starting point, now open the firefox browser on the FireOS USB and navigate to the URL below

Download the Pre-Rooted Image from "HERE" This image contains Magisk already so you don't have to worry about installing it separately, the image is larger than the available partition on this USB so this is a good time to either get a second USB or if you want to download the file to your local hdd and pull them from there its up to you, then run these commands:

Code:
adb push <your download location you decided earlier here>/mantis-6.2.6.8-rooted_r1.zip / sdcard/ 
adb reboot recovery 

adb shell
twrp install /sdcard/mantis-6.2.6.8-rooted_r1.zip
twrp wipe cache
twrp wipe dalvik
reboot -p
This basically installs the pre-rooted image to your device, after the last command, you should see on your monitor the Fire Stick Reboot and boot to the Amazon GUI Splash Screen, now very important if you followed my previous instructions of deregistering your device before performing all these steps, it should bring you up to the Amazon Initial Setup Screen, now what you want to do is do the following commands before continuing on terminal:

Code:
adb devices *you should see something your screen where the FS is connected to, click accept or enter can't remember*
Now it should show you in terminal your serial number and "device" next to it, meaning you can run adb commands in which you will run the following to disable OTA updates:

Code:
adb shell
su *after this command you should see something again on your screen, click the check the box "Always Remember" and click ok" *

if "su" was successful, you should see something like this:

mantis:/ $ su
mantis:/ #   *the hash means you're running as root, if you don't have a "#" you are not running as root" 

Than continue with these commands and should get the following results:

pm disable com.amazon.tv.forcedotaupdater.v2
***Package com.amazon.tv.forcedotaupdater.v2 new state: disabled***
pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota
***Package om.amazon.device.software.ota new state: disabled***
pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota.override
***Package com.amazon.device.software.ota.override new state: disabled***
After running all these commands exit adb and continue with the normal Amazon Setup including adding your amazon account. After you get to the screen where you can see all the apps, open a new web page browser in firefox and download "This Add-On" , this one is less than 200MB so it should fit on the Fire OS USB, so I would download it and copy it to /mnt for ease of access, go back to terminal and type this:

Code:
adb devices
adb push <your download location you decided earlier here>/AFTV-MM-1.7-6.2.6.8.zip/ sdcard/ 
adb reboot recovery *it will boot into TWRP*

adb shell
twrp install /sdcard/AFTV-MM-1.7-6.2.6.8.zip
twrp wipe cache
twrp wipe dalvik
reboot -p
Your device will reboot and if everything went smoothly, you should have a rooted amazon fire stick 4k, Congrats
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nandroidint For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nandroidint Ad-Free
6th December 2019, 10:33 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 168

More
Nice guide

Here are a few thoughts from me...
It's important to use the latest kamakiri. The mentioned prerooted 6.2.6.5 is probably a downgrade. A few sticks needs an update of the TZ in order to play prime video. The TZ update is only in the v1.2 Kamakiri or in the 6.2.6.6 prerooted.

Since the exploit can't be patched, it's in my opinion the best to do the setup at the beginning, pair the remote, then update to the latest over fireOS. That way you avoid a pending update nag setup screen after doing the exploit. Then enable ADB and unknown sources. After kamakiri I would flash only magisk.zip + sideload the manager app with adb... and avoid any prerooted rom flashing until there is an update to a somewhat higher version (and the current 6.2.6.8v1 has that contact manufacturer error screen).
The Following User Says Thank You to Sus_i For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sus_i Ad-Free
6th December 2019, 03:32 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus_i

Nice guide

Here are a few thoughts from me...
It's important to use the latest kamakiri. The mentioned prerooted 6.2.6.5 is probably a downgrade. A few sticks needs an update of the TZ in order to play prime video. The TZ update is only in the v1.2 Kamakiri or in the 6.2.6.6 prerooted.

Since the exploit can't be patched, it's in my opinion the best to do the setup at the beginning, pair the remote, then update to the latest over fireOS. That way you avoid a pending update nag setup screen after doing the exploit. Then enable ADB and unknown sources. After kamakiri I would flash only magisk.zip + sideload the manager app with adb... and avoid any prerooted rom flashing until there is an update to a somewhat higher version (and the current 6.2.6.8v1 has that contact manufacturer error screen).

Ops Typo let me edit it, I meant to put 6.2.6.8 on the command lol, and aaaa I see I didn't know the exploit couldn't be patched great info, so than yes I will revise my instructions thank so much

UPDATE: I just checked my FS and I'm on 6.2.6.8v1 and didn't receive contact the manufacturer, is it because I sideloaded the manager app after?
6th December 2019, 04:21 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 168

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandroidint

UPDATE: I just checked my FS and I'm on 6.2.6.8v1 and didn't receive contact the manufacturer, is it because I sideloaded the manager app after?

No. If I remember correct, it has something to do with flashing, i.e. the vendor partition wasn't flashed propperly.
Maybe you flashed not the prerooted!? With the Kamakiri TWRP version is flashing full ota update packages (renamed to zip) also possible... and in the prerooted thread is such a full 6.2.6.8 ota linked.

Edit: Could be that this error is prime video related, idk. rbox said he looks into it soon...

Just for clarification: The prerooted rom is a perfect thing since years.
My suggestion 'avoid any rom flashing' from my last post is just an attempt to keep it simple for beginners.
By the way, if the stick gets all updates in front of the unlock, it makes no sense to update it after the unlock again (unless addon.d support is needed).
I hope that has become clear I very much appreciate all the prerooted stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to Sus_i For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sus_i Ad-Free
9th December 2019, 11:52 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
thanx for the tut nandroidint this is exactly what I needed, I wasn't sure how to do the shorting so the video helped out a lot now I'm ready to do this. But I'm sorta a noob when it comes to android so I got few questions tho, 1) what are the main benefits in rooting the fIrestick 4K 2) are there different roms to install? 3) are there root only .apks? 4)also one main thing I would like to be able to do is spoofing the Mac address any idea if that's possible?
5)Oh and lastly what OTB cable do you recommend? sorry for all the questions 😂
12th December 2019, 09:21 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
'std::bad_alloc'
After running the adb push of the manthis.zip Im getting terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'.... What Im I doing wrong?
13th December 2019, 04:18 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
i gave root can i remove amazon services

i dont want google launcher jsut remove services
21st December 2019, 02:28 AM |#8  

More
Sooo there’s no way to expand the storage? Even after rooted? Just bought an otg cable 😑

Can I please get some support guys 😞 previous questions I don’t need answered I found someone on twitter who explained a few things but can someone please answer this.
28th December 2019, 03:44 PM |#9  

More
Hello, after root i got massage on screen
: android system
There is na internal problem with Your device. Contact Your manufacturer for detalis.

And when im trying to register in Amazon it bringing me back to pairing screen, farest i can go it is wifi connection.
Did i brick my Stick?
29th December 2019, 02:36 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by davinci2798

Hello, after root i got massage on screen
: android system
There is na internal problem with Your device. Contact Your manufacturer for detalis.

And when im trying to register in Amazon it bringing me back to pairing screen, farest i can go it is wifi connection.
Did i brick my Stick?

Did you deregister before rooting like the tut says? This is why I’ve been hesitant on rooting because of the lack of support on this forum
29th December 2019, 09:12 AM |#11  

More
Yep, it was new Stick, out from box. Not registered at all. I managed massage, but still comminng to pairing screen.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)