adbLink v3.5

3,028 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,360

By jocala, Senior Member on 31st May 2016, 08:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th August 2017, 06:57 PM |#201  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
yeah I tried that even tho my sticks are pretty much stock but made no difference.

For now have set up an FTP to get the files pushed across as cant get anything to appear (even I assume local files should appear in the left window but all I see it two .. )

7th August 2017, 07:06 PM |#202  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akscooby

yeah I tried that even tho my sticks are pretty much stock but made no difference.

For now have set up an FTP to get the files pushed across as cant get anything to appear (even I assume local files should appear in the left window but all I see it two .. )

If by local files you mean files on the PC, then no, that's not the case.

Each pane offers a view of the connected android device. This video shows the 3.0 FM in use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZkD...ature=youtu.be

The only reports I've had of the "blank pane syndrome" were fixed by either disabling root for the FM or upgrading to SuperSU.
7th August 2017, 07:31 PM |#203  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
cheers - thats what I meant but wasnt sure since both are empty anyway. Will try SuperSU next as nothing else seems to let me see any files on the stick.
9th August 2017, 03:47 AM |#204  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
I figured it out.

If you are getting permission errors installing apks, and you have all your settings correct on the AFTV, the culprit could be SELinux

This fixed it, but needs root:

Code:
chcon u:object_r:shell_data_file:s0 /data/local/tmp
The Following User Says Thank You to IBNobody For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IBNobody Ad-Free
9th August 2017, 05:32 AM |#205  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNobody

I figured it out.

If you are getting permission errors installing apks, and you have all your settings correct on the AFTV, the culprit could be SELinux

This fixed it, but needs root:

Code:
chcon u:object_r:shell_data_file:s0 /data/local/tmp

Good to know, thanks for the update!
25th August 2017, 07:51 PM |#206  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala

Donate to Me
More
New video: Switching between Kodi & SPMC
New video: Switching between Kodi & SPMC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEVU3NRE-m8&t=6s
The Following User Says Thank You to jocala For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jocala Ad-Free
30th September 2017, 04:10 PM |#207  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
@jocala Hey, having a similar problem to @akscooby and I do not have root on this device. I've been able to use adbLink in the past on this device no problem, and have not made any changes to the configuration of the FireTV that I'm trying to connect to. Get the following error when clicking on "Edit XML":
/system/bin/sh: /data/local/tmp/adblink/busybox: can't execute: Permission denied

I saw in another thread about a similar issue that you suggested running ADB Shell once to try to reinstall busybox, but that hasn't seemed to fix the issue.

I'm currently running adbLink 3.4 and downgraded to 3.0 to see if it was a version issue but I'm having the same problem for both.

Any other thoughts?

FYI, I have a workaround for the problem I was trying to solve so this isn't super critical but thought you'd be interested
30th September 2017, 05:21 PM |#208  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman325

@jocala Hey, having a similar problem to @akscooby and I do not have root on this device. I've been able to use adbLink in the past on this device no problem, and have not made any changes to the configuration of the FireTV that I'm trying to connect to. Get the following error when clicking on "Edit XML":
/system/bin/sh: /data/local/tmp/adblink/busybox: can't execute: Permission denied

I saw in another thread about a similar issue that you suggested running ADB Shell once to try to reinstall busybox, but that hasn't seemed to fix the issue.

I'm currently running adbLink 3.4 and downgraded to 3.0 to see if it was a version issue but I'm having the same problem for both.

Any other thoughts?

FYI, I have a workaround for the problem I was trying to solve so this isn't super critical but thought you'd be interested

Thank you for the report. Please see this new video: Editing Kodi XML Files

This video was made using an unrooted Fire TV/2. What busybox is doing in the background is a find operation to locate XML files. Why busybox's permissions aren't correct is puzzling.

Check the permissions busybox has: Open ADB Shell then issue an ls command:

Code:
shell@sloane:/ $ ls -l /data/local/tmp/adblink/busybox
The ls command should show:
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x shell    shell     1356524 2016-10-31 21:49 busybox

You can also try deleting the /data/local/tmp/adblink directory using ADB Shell:
Code:
shell@sloane:/ $ rm -r /data/local/tmp/adblink
After this disconnect, then reconnect. The /data/local/tmp/adblink directory will re-install with proper permissions.

I was able to replicate this issue by removing the execute bit from the busybox binary:

Press ADB Shell then:
Code:
shell@sloane:/ $ chmod 0600 /data/local/tmp/adblink/busybox
To correct the problem on the fly:

Press ADB Shell then:
Code:
shell@sloane:/ $ chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/adblink/busybox
30th September 2017, 06:53 PM |#209  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks for the quick response! Looks like the permissions for busybox were set to 666. I hadn't bothered to check that but that's good to know for the future. Thanks for helping me get it resolved! I'm curious what caused the permissions change but for now I'm back in business. Thanks!
30th September 2017, 06:58 PM |#210  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman325

Thanks for the quick response! Looks like the permissions for busybox were set to 666. I hadn't bothered to check that but that's good to know for the future. Thanks for helping me get it resolved! I'm curious what caused the permissions change but for now I'm back in business. Thanks!

Glad it's sorted out. I've got an update in progress for next month, I'll review the busybox installation routines for any anomalies.
1st October 2017, 11:35 PM |#211  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala

Donate to Me
More
After a code review I didn't find anything that would inadvertently change permissions for busybox. The only time adbLink sets busybox perms is on installation, where they are set to 0755. So, the 666 perms are still a puzzle to me! For upcoming adbLink version 3.5, I added in permission checks for busybox prior to use and I also added a utility menu function to manually reinstall busybox and set perms. Thanks again for the report.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)