10th May 2018, 06:24 PM |#241  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala
Thanks Meter: 2,378

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by capTV

I set it up in advancedsettings.xml, and I'm comfortable it works since I have thumbnails, and was able to back those up without error.

If I add that file, will it break the other pointer? I have multiple profiles with the same setup (all to the same path, to consolidate them).

Also, is just pulling the kodi dir the same as backup, or is backup grabbing some hidden files, etc? If so, I can do it manually if playing with it may break things.

You don't need the xbmc_env.properties file. That's to tell Kodi that you've moved its entire filetree. Since you opted to move thumbnails manually and adjust via advancedsettings.xml adbLink backup isn't for you. Stick with manual.

13th July 2018, 06:57 PM |#242  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi, jocala, and thanks for your great tool!

I'm wondering what advice you can give about the very long delay after launching adbLink before it's window appears. On one of my 64-bit Windows 7 Pro machines, it takes roughly 15-20 minutes before I see the GUI on my screen. It's easy to believe there's something about my windows configuration that's causing this, but I have no idea what might be wrong.

I just now learned that the launch-GUI delay is not the only one. I clicked the "New" button to create a new device entry, and 10 minutes later, it's still not showing up.

By the way, my anti-malware and firewall are definitely not interfering or causing this issue. I've totally disabled them yet the problem still occurs exactly the same.

Any suggestions, please?
13th July 2018, 07:39 PM |#243  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embee11

Hi, jocala, and thanks for your great tool!

I'm wondering what advice you can give about the very long delay after launching adbLink before it's window appears. On one of my 64-bit Windows 7 Pro machines, it takes roughly 15-20 minutes before I see the GUI on my screen. It's easy to believe there's something about my windows configuration that's causing this, but I have no idea what might be wrong.

I just now learned that the launch-GUI delay is not the only one. I clicked the "New" button to create a new device entry, and 10 minutes later, it's still not showing up.

By the way, my anti-malware and firewall are definitely not interfering or causing this issue. I've totally disabled them yet the problem still occurs exactly the same.

Any suggestions, please?

Sorry, I can't duplicate your issue using any version of Windows, nor have I gotten other reports. Offhand I don't have any theories. For diagnostics I'd try launching from the command-line and see if any errors appear. You could also try booting into safe mode.
13th July 2018, 09:17 PM |#244  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocala

Sorry, I can't duplicate your issue using any version of Windows, nor have I gotten other reports. Offhand I don't have any theories. For diagnostics I'd try launching from the command-line and see if any errors appear. You could also try booting into safe mode.

Okay, thanks, I'll give that a try.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

The same thing happened in Safe Mode with Networking, which is unfortunate because that means it's nothing to do with my startup or background applications, which is something I could troubleshoot on my own. But here are some more symptoms which may bring something to mind...

1) The adbLink log shows "starting server" very quickly, even though the GUI doesn't show up for at least 10 minutes later. Does that suggest that the "server" (whatever that is in this case) is taking to long to initialize or whatever?

2) Whenever I try to exit formally, using File->Quit, the GUI never goes away (or at least not soon enough). And when I click the close box, the GUI disappears immediately but the task manager shows it is still active, along with at least two copies of adb.exe

3) When I launch adbLink.exe in normal boot mode, I use Process Hacker 2 to list it's open windows, which is an empty list until the GUI appears. I note this because I wondered if something in my setup prevented the GUI window from appearing earlier.

Okay, about trying the command line, which command string should I enter?

Thanks
13th July 2018, 10:27 PM |#245  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ocala

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embee11

Okay, thanks, I'll give that a try.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

The same thing happened in Safe Mode with Networking, which is unfortunate because that means it's nothing to do with my startup or background applications, which is something I could troubleshoot on my own. But here are some more symptoms which may bring something to mind...

1) The adbLink log shows "starting server" very quickly, even though the GUI doesn't show up for at least 10 minutes later. Does that suggest that the "server" (whatever that is in this case) is taking to long to initialize or whatever?

2) Whenever I try to exit formally, using File->Quit, the GUI never goes away (or at least not soon enough). And when I click the close box, the GUI disappears immediately but the task manager shows it is still active, along with at least two copies of adb.exe

3) When I launch adbLink.exe in normal boot mode, I use Process Hacker 2 to list it's open windows, which is an empty list until the GUI appears. I note this because I wondered if something in my setup prevented the GUI window from appearing earlier.

Okay, about trying the command line, which command string should I enter?

Thanks

1. No. the adb server process does not depend on a gui, it is a part of the Android SDK. An error preventing the adb server from starting would not prevent adbLink's GUI from starting. It [the GUI] would merely report that adb was not running.

2. An instance of adbLink starts one background process of adb server and one only. Other programs can start adb servers in the background as well.

3. The adb server is a background process. I'm unfamiliar with Process Hacker 2 and don't know if it sees non-windowed background processes.

4. To start a Windows program from the command-line simply open a console, cd to the directory where it is installed and type the program name. e.g.:

Code:
cd \adblink
adblink
Good luck. If I think of anything I'll follow-up. If you find a reproducible bug you think I can fix I'll be happy to do so.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)