I've written a little helper app that allows you to basically use any app you want as a launcher on your FireTV (and probably also Stick, but I don't own one to test).
The app does not require root as it doesn't really set your app as system launcher, it just provides various workarounds!
You want SPMC to be your launcher? No problem! With this little helper app the aftv boots straights into spmc. Also you can select the option to start spmc everytime the "screen on" event occurs (after firetv exits sleep mode). If you are in a different app (e.g. netflix) and press the home button on the remote the system takes you to the amazon launcher. This is detected by the apps watchdog and it takes you right back to SPMC. If you still want to use Amazon prime video or music than the option to allow jumpbacks is for you. It will allow you to stay in Amazon launcher if the last task was your selected launcher app.
The same procedure works for all other apps/launchers you want to use!
- Use any app as "launcher" (e.g. SPMC, XBMC/Kodi, FiredTV, TV Launcher, ...)
- Start on boot
- Start on "Screen on" event
- Run a background watchdog to check for the current top activity
- Allow jumpbacks to amazon launcher only from your selected "launcher" app
- Easily going back from amazon launcher to your selected app by pressing the home button (works for all menu positions but search & start page, so scroll down to videos, press home, voila!)
- customize watchdog interval
About the watchdog
It will help you to prevent the home or back button to go to the amazon launcher
How does it work? It regularly checks the current top activity, if it is the amazon launcher it starts your selected app
be careful as too low intervals can affect your device performance!
Also make sure to disable home button detection if you use FiredTV launcher to prevent interference!
If you somehow manage to lock yourself out just do this via adb:
adb shell am start -n jb.com.aftvlauncherhelper/jb.com.aftvlauncherhelper.MainActivity
If you like the app please consider buying me a drink (button is in my signature).
Fix delayed starting action