FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] AFTV Launcher Helper (No root required)

1,022 posts
Thanks Meter: 720

By superkoal, Senior Member on 3rd February 2015, 11:24 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi Guys!

I've written a little helper app that allows you to basically use any app you want as a launcher on your FireTV (and probably also Stick, but I don't own one to test).

The app does not require root as it doesn't really set your app as system launcher, it just provides various workarounds!

Scenario
You want SPMC to be your launcher? No problem! With this little helper app the aftv boots straights into spmc. Also you can select the option to start spmc everytime the "screen on" event occurs (after firetv exits sleep mode). If you are in a different app (e.g. netflix) and press the home button on the remote the system takes you to the amazon launcher. This is detected by the apps watchdog and it takes you right back to SPMC. If you still want to use Amazon prime video or music than the option to allow jumpbacks is for you. It will allow you to stay in Amazon launcher if the last task was your selected launcher app.

The same procedure works for all other apps/launchers you want to use!

Feature list
  • Use any app as "launcher" (e.g. SPMC, XBMC/Kodi, FiredTV, TV Launcher, ...)
  • Start on boot
  • Start on "Screen on" event
  • Run a background watchdog to check for the current top activity
  • Allow jumpbacks to amazon launcher only from your selected "launcher" app
  • Easily going back from amazon launcher to your selected app by pressing the home button (works for all menu positions but search & start page, so scroll down to videos, press home, voila!)
  • customize watchdog interval

About the watchdog
It will help you to prevent the home or back button to go to the amazon launcher
How does it work? It regularly checks the current top activity, if it is the amazon launcher it starts your selected app
be careful as too low intervals can affect your device performance!
Also make sure to disable home button detection if you use FiredTV launcher to prevent interference!

Troubleshooting
If you somehow manage to lock yourself out just do this via adb:
Code:
adb shell am start -n jb.com.aftvlauncherhelper/jb.com.aftvlauncherhelper.MainActivity
and disable the watchdog (or select the right app ).

If you like the app please consider buying me a drink (button is in my signature).
Have fun!

Screenshot:

Screenshot

Changelog:

Version 1.1:
Fix delayed starting action

Version 1.0:
Initial release
Attached Files
File Type: apk aftvlauncherhelper_1.0.apk - [Click for QR Code] (61.9 KB, 752 views)
File Type: apk aftvlauncherhelper_1.1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (61.9 KB, 4324 views)
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to superkoal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift superkoal Ad-Free

3rd February 2015, 04:32 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 68

More
sounds great, thanks. will test this evening.
3rd February 2015, 05:35 PM |#3  
Flag Stuttgart
Thanks Meter: 247

More
It works really good but sometimes doesn't get back to firedtv on the first try for me.

I selected firedtv as Launcher and enabled all options (watchdog to 1s)
When I run firetv home and press the home button I sometimes have to scroll around in the menus and press home again to get back to firedtv.

But it's better than anything I tried before! Great work!
The Following User Says Thank You to aHcVolle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aHcVolle Ad-Free
3rd February 2015, 08:17 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vienna

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aHcVolle

It works really good but sometimes doesn't get back to firedtv on the first try for me.

When I run firetv home and press the home button I sometimes have to scroll around in the menus and press home again to get back to firedtv.

Thanks! I was able to reproduce this. Probably some timing issue when there are a lot of things going on in the message queue. I will try to fix this with the next release.
The Following User Says Thank You to superkoal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift superkoal Ad-Free
6th February 2015, 11:59 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vienna

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aHcVolle

I have just built a small update to v1.1 to try and address you issue.
Please let me know if it works better now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superkoal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift superkoal Ad-Free
10th February 2015, 07:38 AM |#6  
Flag Stuttgart
Thanks Meter: 247

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoal

i rooted and dont need your app anymore.
but thanks for the support :>
Chris
10th February 2015, 09:01 AM |#7  
Flag Malaga
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoal

Great work here, much appreciated

I've installed V1.1 but its hit and miss if it returns back to Kodi, great step in the right direction though and lot easier for many people over rooting.

Many thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to duquesa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift duquesa Ad-Free
10th February 2015, 09:21 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
works good w/ one of the launchers I have.....during testing when I press home it automatically goes back to the custom launcher and if I press home again it goes back to the amazon launcher and if I continue pressing home it stays on the amazon launcher until I actually do something like press up or down which I think is good...I have the watchdog interval to 1500ms is that good or bad?
The Following User Says Thank You to nickyb003 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nickyb003 Ad-Free
18th February 2015, 10:27 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vienna

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyb003

works good w/ one of the launchers I have.....during testing when I press home it automatically goes back to the custom launcher and if I press home again it goes back to the amazon launcher and if I continue pressing home it stays on the amazon launcher until I actually do something like press up or down which I think is good...I have the watchdog interval to 1500ms is that good or bad?

I think it's a good interval. Thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using XDA Free mobile app
20th February 2015, 01:23 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 553

More
nice I will try it on fire tv stick which is not rooted of course maybe tomorrow and see how it works so I can get rid of llama thank you
20th February 2015, 01:45 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
This is really cool! As my aftv cannot be rooted i'm stuck with the amazon launcher. This actually helps a lot!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to miromerka For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift miromerka Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
aftv, firetv, helper, launcher, spmc

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)