Or buy me a cup of coffee, donation-link on GitHub
AppStarter: An AppDrawer and Kodi / SPMC Updater for Amazon FireTV:
This App is Open-Source, visit AppStarter on GitHub: https://github.com/sphinx02/AppStarter
- Lists all user-installed apps including sideloaded / adb installed apps.
- Apps can be easily sorted / ordered by settings-button or click-drag-and-drop (long-click to start drag-and-drop).
- Apps can be hidden from app drawer (see settings).
- Kodi and SPMC can be installed and updated directly out of AppStarter (see Updates section).
- Possibility to change the time of no action the FireTV waits to go to sleep.
- Possibility to import / export settings.
- Show system and device informations like Android-Version, Build-Version, Hostname, WiFi- / WLAN Name (SSID), IP Adress and Uptime.
- Automatic update mechanism.
- __No root required!__
Reviews / Articles:
- Just google for "AppStarter FireTV"
Easy installation in less than 5 minutes with only the FireTV
Standard installation via ADB
- If you don't know how to sideload/install apps via ADB, read a tutorial (e.g. this one)
- Download latest AppStarter APK and sideload/install with adb:
- adb install -r AppStarter_v4.0.apk
- TO UPDATE APP: Simply use the integrated updater mechanism.
Why using it:
- AppStarter provides a nice possiblity to show all user installed Apps.
- AppStarter provides an Updater for Kodi and SMPC which allows to keep these two Apps up to date in a very convinient way.
- Renamed App to AppStarter
- Renamed package to de.belu.appstarter
- Removed home button observation as not needed anymore
- Added SPMC updater (possibility to install and update SPMC).
- Added simplified chinese translation (thx lostindark).
- Fixed wrong app start of apps using the leanback-lib (e.g. MagineTV)
- Updated translations
- Fixed "parse packet error" for Kodi updates
- Added setting to decide which Kodi version is installed / updated (stable, beta / rc, nightly)
- Added possiblity to install / update Kodi (see Updates section). Thank you very much attilaszasz for your contribution!
- Made "Background for App Names" a bit brighter. Thanks semitop7 for your contribution!
- Added semi-transparent background for system, updates and settings section if the "Background for App Names" setting is enabled. Thanks semitop7 for your contribution!
- Fixed flashing screen / start app problems (disabled JumpbackWatchdog for FireOS5).
- Updated translations
- Added setting to show background for app names in the app drawer (helps to read app names when wallpaper is used).
- Added setting to hide left selection bar when on the main screen (app drawer).
- Fixed backup (export/import) settings feature for FireOS5.
- Updated russian and ukranian translations (thanks sem_top7 and Kramar111).
- Optimized ADB connection mechansims for FireOS5. Should now work without disable + enable ADB after reboots. Still no parallel ADB connections possible.
- Added shortcut to ADB settings in AppStarter settings.
- Added first try of completely new detecting home-button clicks without adb (which is also used as Fallback after 3 failed ADB connects). The new non-ADB observation of the home-button works only if you are on the original Amazon FireTV Home screen. This means if you are in any other App like Kodi, you have to click the home button once to get to the Amazon FireTV Home screen and then you can single or double click the home-button to perform the action desired. In practice that means, you can also add one home button click if you are in another app. If you are for example in Kodi, you can do a double-click to the home-button to perform the single click operation and according to this you can do a triple click to perform the double click action. Sorry for this strange behaviour but due to technical limitations of Android, there is no other possibility without ADB at the moment.
- Removed restart-option and replaced it with notification how to restart with the remote.
- Better handling of the jumback-detection -> fixes some unnessecary jumpbacks especially when the click-action is "- No Action -" or "FireTV Home". You can again safely use the jumpback detection (e.g. with default of 5000ms)!
- Option to start click-action apps with FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TASK -> Previous instances of the App are cleared before start (e.g. AppStarter then starts always on the first icon which is useful for some people with programmable remote's).
- Everything only tested with FireOS4 on FireTV and with FireOS5 Developer Preview on FireTV-Stick. I am not yet able to test on a FireTV2 with the real FireOS5.
- Show device uptime and boot time in system tab
- Back button returns to main app view if on another tab
- Removed Go-To-Sleep functionality, as it is anyway possible via long-press home-button. The existing implementation was not reliable enough and made some problems under specific circumstances.
- Added russian and ukranian translations (any other language contributions are welcome). Thx to XDA user sem_top7 for the translations!
- Fixed bug in file selector (no image files found in root-folder)
- Fixed (hopefully) bug in manual language selection which sometimes lead to a mixed language
- Little redesign of the GUI
- Added date & time information at top
- Made the app-icons a little bit smaller (5 apps per row and still big enough)
- Added customizable icon-size in settings
- Added possibility to export / import settings
- Added more informations to the system-tab
- Added possibility to modify the time of no action till the FireTV goes to sleep
- Added possibility to go directly to sleep from AppStarter (little hack, setting the time-to-sleep to a very short value and set it back after wake-up)
- Be carefull with the go-to-sleep feature, only tested it on FireTV not on FireTV-Stick. Advanced users give me feedback if it works please .
- The setting of the general time of no action till FireTV goes to sleep is safe to use. It is a default Android-Setting which can be edited by apps (I don't understand why Amazon isn't giving us this feature..).
- Custom wallpaper via settings (JPG / PNG cropped to fit screen)
- Renamed "All Apps" to "Apps" and "Infos" to "System"
- Added WiFi name to System-Tab
- Added possibility to reboot FireTV to System-Tab
- Added FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK and FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TASK to startup-action (perhaps helps some people reporting weird colors when starting Kodi as startup-action)
- Tried to add sleep-button to bring FireTV to sleep-mode but it seems as this is not possible without root, if anyone knows anything else, please report...
- Settings ex-/import and more themeable GUI are still on my TODO.
- Check out settings-button: Added menu for apps to move app (same than long-click) or to open app-specific settings
- Items in the left selection bar are now also clickable with a mouse
- Added german translation and manual setting of the current language
- Spelling corrections
- Apps are not started with FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TASK which lets app resume their last activity.
- Replaced some icons / made some visual optimizations
- For timing settings, now the correct inputtype is used (number only keyboard is displayed).
- Adjusted default-timings (only for fresh installations).
- Minor fixes.
- Implemented jumpback prevention watchdog which prevents amazon home from coming to the foreground after click-actions (configurable in settings). Thanks XDA user harlekinrains for this idea.
- Removed now unnessecary action-delay setting.
- Added FireTV settings application to apps-list. Thanks XDA user fsi09 for this idea.
- Some code cleanup / optimization.
- Fixed ugly bug in settings (kind of endless loop), which caused huge cpu-load and weird behaviour of settings storage.
- Fixed bug when sysapp were set visible and apps were reordered, sysapps were not hided again on settings change.
- Allow greater double-click interval and action delay (up to 1000ms).
- Added adjustable double-click interval and action-delay
- Reordered settings
- When going to app-drawer, first icon is automatically focused (configurable in settings)
- Update service (able to update itself)
- Fixed problems on FireTV-Stick (which by default has multiple local adb-devices), thanks to harlekinrains for logcat-infos
- Added AppStarter version to info view
- Real Home-Button detection, even double-home-button-clicks are captured
- Completely new GUI with settings and additional Infos
- Completely configurable actions
- Hide-App feature
Or buy me a cup of coffee, donation-link on GitHub