This is a walk-thru on how to get the old FireStarter Boot & Home button options working again using the fullest XPosed Module I've seen. This is only fully compatible with ROOTED FireTV (Sticks). This should work for just about any app including FireStarter, AppStarter, Kodi, SPMC, MrMC, etc. This will let you upgrade past FireOS 5.0.5 to the latest FireOS 5 Pre-Rooted roms & enjoy the new UI & bug fixes. A mouse is not require for installing or changing XPosed Edge settings. Since long pressing brings out sub-menus.
1. Rooted FireTV device.
2. XPosed Edge Pro. (More Triggers for boot startup is only available in the Pro version)
Should work on either FireOS 5 or even FireOS 3.
3. Must have installed XPosed Module & Manager App.
4. You have a functioning FireStarter or AppStarter or Kodi or SPMC, MrMC, etc.
5. Read the whole post before getting started.
You do not need the Pro version but @ $1.99 it is a great way to support the developer of this module. And the Pro version will let you do more with this module.
Download & install XPosed Edge Pro v3.9. This can be done thru sideloading. Since the Pro version is needed. Once you have it installed & checked. You will need to reboot your device for it to become active. Change the following settings after you reboot your device. The last setting will not work unless you have the XPosed Edge module activated. And for that you must do a reboot on your device.
1. Start XPosed Edge. Go down to "More triggers". (Only available in the Pro version)
2. Choose "Boot completed".
3. Choose "App".
4. Choose "FireStarter/AppStarter" or "Kodi" or "SPMC" or "MrMC". Depending on your taste.
5. Now your "Boot completed " should show the icon of the App you choose.
6. Now hit back once. And go up to "Keys".
7. Now choose "Home".
8. You should have the option to change "Click", "Double click" & "Long press".
9. Go to & choose "Click".
10. Go to "App".
11. Choose "FireStarter/AppStarter" or "Kodi" or "SPMC" or "MrMC". Depending on your taste.
12. Now your "Click " should show the icon of the App you choose.
13. Now go down to "Double click".
14. In my case I choose to go "Home" when ever I "Double click". You can choose something else.
( I was not able to choose/find "Settings" like we could before. Might be a FW bug. Wonder if that got fix on the latest update.)
15. You should see the icon of what ever you choose for your "Double click". I decided to leave the long press as default.
16. Now go up to "Home".
17. Now long press "OK/Enter" on "Home" until you get to the check box menu.
18. In the check box menu choose "Enable".
19. You will now see the a check in the checkbox for "Home".
20. Hit back one time to go back to the main menu.
21. On the main menu. Go to "Keys" & long press until the checkbox menu shows up.
22. Then choose "Enable".
23. You should now see a check in the "Keys" checkbox & you should see a small popup letting you know that "Key control on" is activated.
Congrats. You now have a FireStarter/AppStarter auto-starting at bootup. And you have full control over your Home button.
I only tried this with AppStarter so there might be some minor tweaks that need to be done with FireStarter or Kodi or SPMC or MrMC but they should be minor. Let us know how it goes for you'll.
Thanks to @SimLynks post here for clarifying that the Pro version is needed to follow this walk-thru. He did mention an option to use his [TOTAL MOD] Playing With Fire directions on how to disable the default FireTV launcher. I myself prefer to just pay the $1.99 for the Pro version. But you do have a choice.