FORUMS

Locked aspect ratio of 4:3 videos on YouTube on 4k Fire stick

306 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By emkorial, Senior Member on 3rd May 2020, 11:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So before when I launched a 4:3 video on YouTube, it zoomed so the picture took up my full 16:9 TV screen. My daughter sat on the remote, and after that, any 4:3 video I played was not zoomed but had gray bars down the side. I reset all the Cache and data from the youtube app, and it's still not showing the video correctly.

Thinking maybe an unwanted app upgrade caused it, I removed the YouTube app from my Firestick and sideloaded the following versions:

* AmazonYouTube 1.5.203.0
* AmazonYouTube 1.5.228.0
* AmazonYouTube 1.15.178.0

But they all exhibit the same behavior. I verified the versions were all as expected every time

I checked all the YouTube settings everywhere but can't find where I can tell it to zoom 4:3 videos. Anyone? Why in the world is this not a simple setting like every video display app has had for like 15 years now?
11th May 2020, 03:18 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
There is no setting that does that. Your TV should have a stretch mode which is better anyways.
11th May 2020, 03:49 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkorial

So before when I launched a 4:3 video on YouTube, it zoomed so the picture took up my full 16:9 TV screen. My daughter sat on the remote, and after that, any 4:3 video I played was not zoomed but had gray bars down the side. I reset all the Cache and data from the youtube app, and it's still not showing the video correctly.

Thinking maybe an unwanted app upgrade caused it, I removed the YouTube app from my Firestick and sideloaded the following versions:

But they all exhibit the same behavior. I verified the versions were all as expected every time

I checked all the YouTube settings everywhere but can't find where I can tell it to zoom 4:3 videos. Anyone? Why in the world is this not a simple setting like every video display app has had for like 15 years now?

Try the hidden resolution options - http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-acces...n-the-fire-tv/
11th May 2020, 09:34 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyP

There is no setting that does that. Your TV should have a stretch mode which is better anyways.

If I so that it stretchs the YouTube controls with it so they are off the screen. there must be SOME youtube setting since the 4:3 video was showing zoomed, then switched to sidebarred, and when I cleared the app data now it shows letterboxed. So it has to be a setting somewhere

Quote:

Try the hidden resolution options - http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-acces...n-the-fire-tv/

Thats for the fire overall, I just need to change Youture AR
12th May 2020, 03:36 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
There is no setting for stretch in the Youtube app and there has never been.
13th May 2020, 04:35 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkorial

You can use Smart YouTube TV from Aptoide TV.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)