FORUMS

Locked aspect ratio of 4:3 videos on YouTube on 4k Fire stick

306 posts
Thanks Meter: 12
 
By emkorial, Senior Member on 3rd May 2020, 11:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So before when I launched a 4:3 video on YouTube, it zoomed so the picture took up my full 16:9 TV screen. My daughter sat on the remote, and after that, any 4:3 video I played was not zoomed but had gray bars down the side. I reset all the Cache and data from the youtube app, and it's still not showing the video correctly.

Thinking maybe an unwanted app upgrade caused it, I removed the YouTube app from my Firestick and sideloaded the following versions:

* AmazonYouTube 1.5.203.0
* AmazonYouTube 1.5.228.0
* AmazonYouTube 1.15.178.0

But they all exhibit the same behavior. I verified the versions were all as expected every time

I checked all the YouTube settings everywhere but can't find where I can tell it to zoom 4:3 videos. Anyone? Why in the world is this not a simple setting like every video display app has had for like 15 years now?
11th May 2020, 03:18 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 41
 
More
There is no setting that does that. Your TV should have a stretch mode which is better anyways.
11th May 2020, 03:49 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 79
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkorial

So before when I launched a 4:3 video on YouTube, it zoomed so the picture took up my full 16:9 TV screen. My daughter sat on the remote, and after that, any 4:3 video I played was not zoomed but had gray bars down the side. I reset all the Cache and data from the youtube app, and it's still not showing the video correctly.

Thinking maybe an unwanted app upgrade caused it, I removed the YouTube app from my Firestick and sideloaded the following versions:

* AmazonYouTube 1.5.203.0
* AmazonYouTube 1.5.228.0
* AmazonYouTube 1.15.178.0

But they all exhibit the same behavior. I verified the versions were all as expected every time

I checked all the YouTube settings everywhere but can't find where I can tell it to zoom 4:3 videos. Anyone? Why in the world is this not a simple setting like every video display app has had for like 15 years now?

Try the hidden resolution options - http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-acces...n-the-fire-tv/
11th May 2020, 09:34 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyP

There is no setting that does that. Your TV should have a stretch mode which is better anyways.

If I so that it stretchs the YouTube controls with it so they are off the screen. there must be SOME youtube setting since the 4:3 video was showing zoomed, then switched to sidebarred, and when I cleared the app data now it shows letterboxed. So it has to be a setting somewhere


Quote:

Try the hidden resolution options - http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-acces...n-the-fire-tv/

Thats for the fire overall, I just need to change Youture AR
12th May 2020, 03:36 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 41
 
More
There is no setting for stretch in the Youtube app and there has never been.
13th May 2020, 04:35 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 72
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkorial

So before when I launched a 4:3 video on YouTube, it zoomed so the picture took up my full 16:9 TV screen. My daughter sat on the remote, and after that, any 4:3 video I played was not zoomed but had gray bars down the side. I reset all the Cache and data from the youtube app, and it's still not showing the video correctly.

Thinking maybe an unwanted app upgrade caused it, I removed the YouTube app from my Firestick and sideloaded the following versions:

* AmazonYouTube 1.5.203.0
* AmazonYouTube 1.5.228.0
* AmazonYouTube 1.15.178.0

But they all exhibit the same behavior. I verified the versions were all as expected every time

I checked all the YouTube settings everywhere but can't find where I can tell it to zoom 4:3 videos. Anyone? Why in the world is this not a simple setting like every video display app has had for like 15 years now?

You can use Smart YouTube TV from Aptoide TV.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes