48 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By sparker781, Member on 2nd January 2018, 11:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th March 2018, 04:46 PM |#21  

More
@rainman74

This thread is is for the YouTube TV service's app. YouTube TV provides paid live TV streaming services to multiple markets within the United States, and is an 'over-the-top' streaming replacement for cable TV subscriptions such as those provided by AT&T/Comcast/etc.

See www . youtube . tv for more info (remove spaces when entering into your browser).

While the naming is similar (and made even more confusing with your replacement app's use of 'TV' in it's title), please don't confuse regular 'YouTube' (which your app is a replacement for) with 'YouTube TV'.

With all this being said, I absolutely appreciate this topic can be confusing for some xda members if you don't live in the US (and aren't aware of the YouTube TV paid streaming service), and especially since the word 'TV' is now being used in the name of the replacement YouTube client.

(Edit - while I'm on a mobile device and can't actually check the apk, I'm presuming it's not the correct YouTube, since the original (and very good) 'Smart YouTube TV' app built by Yuriy Lyskov is a plain YouTube client).
4th March 2018, 06:34 PM |#22  
OP Member

More
thats what I'm looking for. Was gifted a subscription of YouTube TV but can't get it to stream from my iphone to my amazon tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4th March 2018, 09:33 PM |#23  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 294

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker781

Is this for YouTube or YOUTUBE TV?

It's YouTube TV for Fire TV
4th March 2018, 09:50 PM |#24  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman74

It's YouTube TV for Fire TV

no its not. i just installed the app and its the same youtube app that i already have

4th March 2018, 10:03 PM |#25  
Flag Munich

More
Quote:

no its not. i just installed the app and its the same youtube app that i already have

But it is! There is only this one for Android TV, which also runs on Fire TV without Google Play Services.

But if you mean the Amazon's own YouTube app for Fire TV, it always shows a popup that the app won't work anymore.

If you mean another one, send me a screenshot.
4th March 2018, 10:06 PM |#26  
OP Member

More
There is YouTube which is YouTube.com and then YouTube has their own YouTube TV which is what I am looking for hence why I started the article in the first place this only allows me YouTube not YouTube TV

4th March 2018, 10:20 PM |#27  
Flag Munich

More
Quote:

There is YouTube which is YouTube.com and then YouTube has their own YouTube TV which is what I am looking for hence why I started the article in the first place this only allows me YouTube not YouTube TV

I'm starting to suspect you're confusing YouTube TV with YouTubeTV, aren't you? But this is really quite confusing.
  • YouTube TV is called the official App for "Android TVs"
  • YouTubeTV or YouTube LiveTV is called the Live-TV App

If you mean the second one, to my knowledge this is only possible in the USA so far, but please feel free to try it out:
YouTube-LiveTV-6.12.72.apk

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	030418231339.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	4437588  
The Following User Says Thank You to rainman74 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rainman74 Ad-Free
4th March 2018, 11:36 PM |#28  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman74

I'm starting to suspect you're confusing YouTube TV with YouTubeTV, aren't you? But this is really quite confusing.

• YouTube TV is called the official App for "Android TVs"
  • YouTubeTV or YouTube LiveTV is called the Live-TV App

If you mean the second one, to my knowledge this is only possible in the USA so far, but please feel free to try it out:
Attachment 4437589

No, the regular YouTube client app is called 'YouTube for Android TV' on large screen Android devices.

'YouTube TV' specifically refers to the streaming service available in the US. It's app goes by the same name.

Like the OP, I too am also interested in getting the YouTube TV app working on my Fire TV.

While I understand the confusion (see my post above), I'd really like to keep this thread on topic and away from regular YouTube clients, if possible.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
5th March 2018, 12:13 AM |#29  
Flag Munich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by your_posse

No, the regular YouTube client app is called 'YouTube for Android TV' on large screen Android devices.
'YouTube TV' specifically refers to the streaming service available in the US. It's app goes by the same name.
Like the OP, I too am also interested in getting the YouTube TV app working on my Fire TV.
While I understand the confusion (see my post above), I'd really like to keep this thread on topic and away from regular YouTube clients, if possible.

Yes, you're right, I went after the package name of the YouTube for Android TV App (= com. google. android.youtube.tv) and the YouTube TV App starts with YouTubeTV (see my screenshot). How nice!

So that's more like it:
  • YouTube for Android TV is called the official App for "Android TVs"
  • YouTube TV is called the Live-TV App (this one YouTube-TV-6.12.72.apk)
The Following User Says Thank You to rainman74 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rainman74 Ad-Free
5th March 2018, 02:40 AM |#30  

More
For all readers - lets be very clear about this thread's purpose:

PLEASE do not mistake this thread as asking for help getting a regular YouTube client working on a Fire TV.

If you want to simply play YouTube videos from www . youtube . com, I can wholeheartedly recommend @deXter55 's suggestion from post #12 (and which works perfectly on my Fire TV for watching cat videos).

This thread relates to the 'YouTube TV' live streaming app. This is a paid live streaming service available only in the US.
Package name (Android TV): com.google.android.youtube.tvunplugged
Package name (Phone/Tablet): com.google.android.apps.youtube.unplugged
Official website: tv . youtube . com
More information: www . androidcentral . com/youtube-tv
(please remove spaces in above URLs)

From what I understand, @Lgms330 seems to have gotten a version working so far - I think we'd all be interested in his tutorial, and how he managed to get the app working (as most seem to experience the app crashing while attempting to play live/library content).

Other users in a different thread have also mentioned a Silk browser-based work-around (though this would be a poor alternative to a native app).

I, and I'm sure the OP, appreciate all input from xda users, however please keep this about the relevant app.
5th March 2018, 12:18 PM |#31  
Flag In the wind
Thanks Meter: 176

Donate to Me
More
And if someone can get it running you still need to live in a US location where they carry live Locals. Don't know why but Google won't let you have it unless you live in a major metro area where they carry the big five. They determine that from the IP address of your ISP. At least I think that's the way it works. I'd be happy to have it without locals as I can OTA them.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)