FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Youtube TV

48 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By sparker781, Member on 26th February 2018, 07:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I know there's a Smart Youtube app and Ive installed it. Is there any way to cast my iphone and YouTube TV to my FireTV? If not was toying around with getting an Apple TV

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28th February 2018, 10:29 PM |#2  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 130

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker781

So I know there's a Smart Youtube app and Ive installed it. Is there any way to cast my iphone and YouTube TV to my FireTV? If not was toying around with getting an Apple TV

Thanks

https://www.reddit.com/r/firetvstick...rt_youtube_tv/
5th March 2018, 03:16 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
With the Smart YouTube TV app you've installed on your Fire TV, technically no.

The regular YouTube app (and by extension the Smart YouTube TV) doesn't use the proper Chromecast protocol - it uses a different, 'cut-down' version called DIAL. More information about this protocol can be found here.

It seems that I'm in a similar situation as you are - I've got a Fire TV, however also want to cast things to it. A native YouTube TV app would be nice as well!

Unfortunately Amazon and Google still haven't sorted their differences, hence waiting for a native YouTube TV app for FireOS might be foolish at this stage. As you can see in your other post on the topic, there does seem to be developer movement in figuring out how to successfully side-load YouTube TV. Fingers crossed.

From my research as of now, you might want to consider getting a different streaming media player - you'd probably want an Apple TV (if you have an iPhone), and I'm thinking of getting a Nvidia Shield TV (since it supports all the streaming services and has chromecast functionality built-in).
5th March 2018, 09:58 AM |#4  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 130

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by your_posse

But that's fine, I have the Smart YouTube TV app connected with my smartphone by ID and now I can stream and controll from the Phone-YouTube app to the Fire TV app .
5th March 2018, 10:29 AM |#5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i found a workaround for now. Can cast from my iphone to my Xbox One

5th March 2018, 12:10 PM |#6  
Flag In the wind
Thanks Meter: 171

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by your_posse

The regular YouTube app (and by extension the Smart YouTube TV) doesn't use the proper Chromecast protocol - it uses a different, 'cut-down' version called DIAL. More information about this protocol can be found here.

It seems that I'm in a similar situation as you are - I've got a Fire TV, however also want to cast things to it. A native YouTube TV app would be nice as well!

Unfortunately Amazon and Google still haven't sorted their differences, hence waiting for a native YouTube TV app for FireOS might be foolish at this stage. As you can see in your other post on the topic, there does seem to be developer movement in figuring out how to successfully side-load YouTube TV. Fingers crossed.

From my research as of now, you might want to consider getting a different streaming media player - you'd probably want an Apple TV (if you have an iPhone), and I'm thinking of getting a Nvidia Shield TV (since it supports all the streaming services and has chromecast functionality built-in).

I am waiting for delivery of a Channel Master Stream+ made by Technicolor:

https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream_Plus_p/cm-7600.htm

It arrived at their ware house last week. When they will ship to buyers remains unseen. And, will Netflix be supported and USB hard drive be enabled. it does has Micro SD DVR for now. My goal is OTA DVR for Locals and stream the rest. Tried a Shield Pro last summer but the remote was dead and support was less than helpful. Sent it back. Curious as to why the pro has been discontinued.
5th March 2018, 07:14 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman74

But that's fine, I have the Smart YouTube TV app connected with my smartphone by ID and now I can stream and controll from the Phone-YouTube app to the Fire TV app .

Yes, and that's all you'll be able to do with the 'Smart YouTube TV' app - it only supports sending video links from YouTube --> YouTube (and other limited uses) using the DIAL protocol.

OP specifically asked for casting abilities (I'm presuming more Chromecast- or AirPlay-like), so that they can cast not just YouTube, but also other apps (such as 'YouTube TV'). This is definitely not supported with the alternative 'Smart YouTube TV' app at this stage.

If you have an Xbox One, then this supports casting from iOS and Android (as OP stated above).

Various other media streaming box options exist that have full casting abilities built-in (such as the Channel Master Stream+ @schneid has mentioned). This device actually looks pretty interesting, and I'd like to hear about your experience with the device when it eventually gets shipped @schneid !
The Following User Says Thank You to your_posse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift your_posse Ad-Free
28th March 2018, 08:27 PM |#8  
Flag In the wind
Thanks Meter: 171

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid

I am waiting for delivery of a Channel Master Stream+ made by Technicolor:

https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream_Plus_p/cm-7600.htm

It arrived at their ware house last week. When they will ship to buyers remains unseen. And, will Netflix be supported and USB hard drive be enabled. it does has Micro SD DVR for now. My goal is OTA DVR for Locals and stream the rest. Tried a Shield Pro last summer but the remote was dead and support was less than helpful. Sent it back. Curious as to why the pro has been discontinued.

My Stream+ was shipped and lost in the mail. Probably a good thing. I've been reading on AVSForum and the product seems to be a disaster:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...-s-thread.html
29th March 2018, 06:27 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid

My Stream+ was shipped and lost in the mail. Probably a good thing. I've been reading on AVSForum and the product seems to be a disaster:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...-s-thread.html

Well that stinks. Hope you'll get reimbursed for it!

What device do you think you'll get as a substitute in the meantime?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)