I ported the latest Firefox OS 2.1 build to ZTE Open (1st gen)
This build also includes my updates (modUI) for the homescreen and browser which are listed below.
This build runs a lot smoother than previous updates that I tried.
You should be able to update if you have FFOS v1.1 (or older) installed and have fastboot available, but make sure you back up your device anyway!
This build is also available for ZTE Open C - FFOS for zte open c
My updates to the build
- Made stock icons more consistent, changed the layout a bit.
- Removed background from the search bar on the top of the screen (I think it is ugly).
- Applied the font fix to get Fira Sans back
- Made the address bar appear when you start scrolling to the top - no more scrolling to the very top of the page to access it!
- Added "Duck Duck Go" to the search engines (you can change them in browser settings)
- Added Google suggestions to the browser address bar 'as-you-type'
I updated the build, technically its not 2.1 anymore, mozilla moved to 2.2
Here is a list of the changes I made to this build:
- Added a button to lock orientation to the swipe screen
- Changed layout of the swipe screen a bit
- Long tap on shift for capslock
- Added a button to close all applications in the task manager
- Other small updates to styling
(Also added French keyboard)
Mozilla added copy - paste for text fields! also available in this build (probably not stable yet)
This build also includes many updates from mozilla such as the new browser they're building (browser2 on homescreen)
Keyboards in this build
ZTE-Open-21-modUI.zip on Google Drive (Updated 09.09.2014)
Make sure to backup your data!
You'll also need adb and fastboot installed.
Download zip and extract to local machine
Open the extracted folder in console and type:
1) adb devices #(should list your device)
2) adb reboot bootloader
3) fastboot erase cache #(if this just reboots your device - try again from step 2)
4) fastboot erase system
5) fastboot erase userdata
6) fastboot flash cache ramdisk.img
7) fastboot flash system system.img
8) fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
9) fastboot flash boot boot.img
10) fastboot reboot
Your phone should reboot at this point (usually takes 1-2minutes) and you can enjoy latest 2.1
I also decided to ublish my branch on github: https://github.com/YemSalat/gaia-modui feel free to fork and contribute or port to other phones.
I am currently learning Gaia architecture as I'm making changes, so some of them are a bit 'hacky', but I try to follow the conventions and prefix my stuff (css/functions/etc.) with 'modui'
Let me know what you think!