FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[UPDATED] Firefox OS 2.1 for ZTE Open (1st gen) modUI

49 posts
Thanks Meter: 56

By YemSalat, Member on 22nd August 2014, 10:30 AM
Post Reply Email Thread

Hey everyone!

I ported the latest Firefox OS 2.1 build to ZTE Open (1st gen)
This build also includes my updates (modUI) for the homescreen and browser which are listed below.

This build runs a lot smoother than previous updates that I tried.
You should be able to update if you have FFOS v1.1 (or older) installed and have fastboot available, but make sure you back up your device anyway!
This build is also available for ZTE Open C - FFOS for zte open c

My updates to the build
- Made stock icons more consistent, changed the layout a bit.
- Removed background from the search bar on the top of the screen (I think it is ugly).
- Applied the font fix to get Fira Sans back
- Made the address bar appear when you start scrolling to the top - no more scrolling to the very top of the page to access it!
- Added "Duck Duck Go" to the search engines (you can change them in browser settings)
- Added Google suggestions to the browser address bar 'as-you-type'

[UPDATE]

I updated the build, technically its not 2.1 anymore, mozilla moved to 2.2

Here is a list of the changes I made to this build:
- Added a button to lock orientation to the swipe screen
- Changed layout of the swipe screen a bit
- Long tap on shift for capslock
- Added a button to close all applications in the task manager
- Other small updates to styling

(Also added French keyboard)

Mozilla added copy - paste for text fields! also available in this build (probably not stable yet)

This build also includes many updates from mozilla such as the new browser they're building (browser2 on homescreen)

Keyboards in this build
English
Spanish
German
French
Russian (cyrillic)

Download
ZTE-Open-21-modUI.zip on Google Drive (Updated 09.09.2014)

Installation instruction
Make sure to backup your data!
You'll also need adb and fastboot installed.
Download zip and extract to local machine
Open the extracted folder in console and type:

1) adb devices #(should list your device)
2) adb reboot bootloader
3) fastboot erase cache #(if this just reboots your device - try again from step 2)
4) fastboot erase system
5) fastboot erase userdata
6) fastboot flash cache ramdisk.img
7) fastboot flash system system.img
8) fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
9) fastboot flash boot boot.img
10) fastboot reboot

Your phone should reboot at this point (usually takes 1-2minutes) and you can enjoy latest 2.1

GitHub
I also decided to ublish my branch on github: https://github.com/YemSalat/gaia-modui feel free to fork and contribute or port to other phones.
I am currently learning Gaia architecture as I'm making changes, so some of them are a bit 'hacky', but I try to follow the conventions and prefix my stuff (css/functions/etc.) with 'modui'

Let me know what you think!
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to YemSalat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift YemSalat Ad-Free

22nd August 2014, 05:38 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Have you gotten around the broken GPS and non-working home light issues I noted in my builds thread?
22nd August 2014, 05:57 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib

Have you gotten around the broken GPS and non-working home light issues I noted in my builds thread?

The GPS is working, but the home light isn't.
I used the boot image from linr76 (big thanks to him by the way!) and only updated gecko and gaia.
22nd August 2014, 06:06 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YemSalat

I used the boot image from linr76 (big thanks to him by the way!) and only updated gecko and gaia.

Ah, okay. Nicely done
22nd August 2014, 11:10 PM |#5  

More
Quote:

Interesting, using your boot.img and my ramdisk.img/system.img/userdata.img files yields my GPS not working, same as always.
23rd August 2014, 04:02 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:

Interesting, using your boot.img and my ramdisk.img/system.img/userdata.img files yields my GPS not working, same as always.

Where do you live? I mean which region? (US/EU,etc)
23rd August 2014, 05:20 AM |#7  

More
Quote:

Where do you live? I mean which region? (US/EU,etc)

US, phone flashed with ZTE_US update to v1.1 from v1.0. Used your boot.img and my ramdisk/userdata/system img, yielded stably working, but no GPS as always.
24th August 2014, 08:50 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Support?
Big Thanks!

Question 1: Are you planning to keep this ROM update with patches and some enhancements in the Future?
Question 2: Any fix for Proximity sensor during on-going Call?

Thanks again!
24th August 2014, 08:28 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
I updated the build.
- I changed the GPS server in the config - will hopefully work for you now if it didn't before.
- Merged mozilla's updates from yesterday.

I'll release the same build for Open C later today as well.

Quote:

US, phone flashed with ZTE_US update to v1.1 from v1.0. Used your boot.img and my ramdisk/userdata/system img, yielded stably working, but no GPS as always.

Sorry, my previous comment was probably a bit misleading.
I don't think the boot.img has anything to do with the GPS, its mostly the settings inside system.img.
I just updated the build and added US servers for GPS, also changed the main geolocation provider to Nokias.
Could you please flash my build and test it again? Also, make sure you test outdoors, and also download the app called 'gps callibration' from marketplace and see if it can get your lat/long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxHolic

Big Thanks!

Question 1: Are you planning to keep this ROM update with patches and some enhancements in the Future?
Question 2: Any fix for Proximity sensor during on-going Call?

Thanks again!

You're welcome!

Yes, I'm planning to keep it updated, every week hopefully (btw, just uploaded a new update, nothing new - mostly bug fixes) Plus I also have a list of things that I want to improve myself, let me know if you have any suggestions as well.
I haven't looked into the proximity sensor, but I'll be checking if it does get fixed in later updates.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YemSalat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift YemSalat Ad-Free
25th August 2014, 06:04 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:

I updated the build.

You're welcome!

Yes, I'm planning to keep it updated, every week hopefully (btw, just uploaded a new update, nothing new - mostly bug fixes) Plus I also have a list of things that I want to improve myself, let me know if you have any suggestions as well.
I haven't looked into the proximity sensor, but I'll be checking if it does get fixed in later updates.

Messaging is a bit laggy :/
Sometimes you have to tap 3 to 4 time to send message

Thanks for keeping this buil up-to-date!
25th August 2014, 07:42 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
edit:
sorry, wrong thread
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)