FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[06/16] Update H955/F510L to 6.0.1 + Mods

52 posts
Thanks Meter: 66

By Simonally, Member on 16th June 2016, 05:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Finally...
The update to Android M is finally here!
If you can't wait any longer, here's how you can update any version of the H955 (A,P ...) or you Korean G Flex 2 (F510L) to 6.0.1!

*Thanks to ap3rs, we now have a video about the MM update here!

*KNOWN ISSUE

Some users get after every boot an error. This 'error' is nothing more than a reminder your KDZ is not the official network provider one's. As we have no root, there's no fix for this. If you can't live with this error, I suggest you stay on LP for a few more days and wait for the OTA update . Again, this error isn't actually a problem or anything, it won't do anything.

*Before posting any benchmark results or throttling issues:
Right after the installation, it is normal that your battery is draining, the UI is slow, the SD810 heats up and throttles and your benchmark scores are low.
Let the battery drain itself completely, and charge it in time fully to 100%. This will re-calibrate the battery. Post your opinion after a full day of use .
MisterOne1's benchmark went up by 15% after Android was settled.

*Step by step instructions:
*Make sure you unroot first, because there isn't root (yet) on MM.

0. Charge your device to at least 30%
1. Make a backup with LG Backup Service in settings (ON EXTERNAL SD)
2. Remove SD CARD
3. Download the KDZ for your device:
H955 here
F510L here, thanks to @Kevin3688
4.1 Download LG UP ( https://mega.nz/#!JtRFkD4Y!u3QgNNaUc...4IZAC57m3rFcsI )
4.2 Download the SD810 drivers ( https://mega.nz/#!VhpDxKoI!Mo0LcQOVO...ApYgpFNMYEl4XU )
5. Install both
6. Connect your phone to your pc (with USB debugging disabled!) and launch the LG UP
7. Select UPGRADE
8. After clicking on the three dots on the right side next to BIN FILE, select the KDZ
9. Click on start
10. Let it cook for a while :
11. profit!

Also don't forget to disable LG MLT, as it is known to drain battery like ****, and uses A LOT of background resources!
1. Dial *#546368#*955# if in your phone app
2. Click on SVC
3. Open up "LDB"
4. Uncheck the "Enable, MLT will run after booting"

*Noticeable changes so far:
  • less lag
  • apps open a bit faster (imo)
  • Camera app is the same
  • New UI design (much smoother, closer to stock and more beautiful)
  • New Settings app
  • New Gallery app
  • Flashlight toggle (finally lol)
  • Far better readability in broad daylight
  • New dialer app
  • New contacts app
  • Quicker and better camera
  • No more overheating issues
  • New notification design
  • New option to eliminate background usage in battery saving mode
  • Massively increased overall performance
  • Increased multitasking performance
  • Google Now On Tap!

*My phone was EXTREMELY laggy on LP, even after optimizing and tweaking. Now, the lag is gone and my phone's overall performance improved massively
*The Update installs 1 bloatware-carrier app, but you can easily uninstall it

*Battery update 06/17
On Lollipop, my SOT was really bad (2,5H)
On Marshmallow, my SOT increased massively! With heavy usage, and games like Asphalt 8 and Temple Run 2, I got nearly 4h of SOT.
With light usage, I could get even more. Bluetooth was on all the time (Pebble watch ) and either Mobile data or Wifi was on. Also, I left location services on and recorded 12 minutes in 4K :P

*Benchmarking
I got on LP an Antutu score of 62k, as you can see in the screenshot, that increased to 76k. Marshmallow did some crazy stuff with my device.
On Geekbench 3, my results were a tiny bit higher than the screenshots in the following post. I got an SC score of 1270 and MC score of 3470. The second Geekbench test, I got even higher: SC score of 1277 and MC score of 3837!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (Jun 17, 2016 18-27-50).png
Views:	4490
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	3786186

*DPI Change!
UPDATE: After changing the DPI, the app drawer icon of the stock LG launcher will bug out. I recommend using a different launcher (Google Now launcher, Nova Launcher ...), as this solves the issue. I think the 'compromise' of using Nova instead of the stock launcher is nothing compared to the difference it makes in the UI. I'll add some screenshots soon.

This post is getting quite big
The most important reason for me to root on LP was to change the DPI, as I find the stock 650'ish DPI unusable. Now on MM, without root, DPI change is possible through ADB and Fastboot! Here's how:
1. Enable USB Debugging in developer options
2. Install ADB and Fastboot ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2317790 )
3. Connect your phone to the pc and open the ADB shell
4. copy and paste the following command (without the "$" ofc), and change 'DPI' to whatever you like! (I have mine set on 420)
$ adb shell wm density DPI && adb reboot
5. Enter
6. Let your phone reboot and enjoy!

Examples:

EDIT: (Thanks to: this user)
To change your DPI back to stock, use the following command:
$ adb shell wm density reset && adb reboot

*How to enable adoptable storage!
(Big thanks to this user on reddit and this post .)
So, I've finally managed to get adoptable storage working. However, be careful, as you can lose all of your data, if you accidentally erase the wrong volume.

Warning: this wil format your external SD --> you'll lose all the data stored on your external SD!

DRAWBACK: You can't acces the merged storage by PC nor third party android File Managers.

You can adopt your SD Card in 2 ways:

1. The whole SD card is merged, so if you've got an 64GB SD, you get 16+64GB internal storage:
1. Enable USB Debugging in developer options
2. Install ADB and Fastboot ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2317790 )
3. Connect your phone to the pc and open the ADB shell
4. Copy and paste the following commands
$ adb shell
$ sm set-force-adoptable true
$ sm list-disks adoptable

This will give you the number of your (adoptable) external SD card. In my occasion, it resulted in:
disk:179,64
5. Following, partition the SD card as internal storage:
$ sm partition disk:179,64 private
6. Now, list the volumes
$ sm list-volumes all
That should result in something like:
private:179,66 mounted <a strange code>
private mounted null
emulated mounted null
emulated:179,66 unmounted null

The 2 volumes with a code looking like your disk, are the volumes of the SD.
7. Reboot through:
$ reboot
8. Disconnect your phone, and head over to 'Storage and USB' in the settings
You should see that the Internal storage is merged with the SD card storage!

2. The SD card is partitioned, so that you have a chosen part being merged, and the other one being external storage
This one is a little bit trickier. Don't try if you don't know what you're doing. This tweak depends on your skills, as you may encounter some issues that you need to solve yourself. If you don't know the "sm" commands yet, type in the adb shell: $ adb shell sm help
1. Make sure the SD card is empty, and has ONE or NONE partition
2. Insert SD card and format it through settings>storage options>external SD card>options>format
3. Follow step 1-4 from above
3.1 Execute the following command
$ sm list-volumes
4. Perform the following command (this might take a while!)
$ sm partition disk:179,64 mixed xx
and replace the xx by a percentage. This is the percentage of the SD card you want to keep as external storage! E.G. 64GB SD and 25 will result in 48GB merged and 16 extern.
5. List volumes again and note the difference
$ sm list-volumes
You should see two new partitions, with a comparable number to your disk.
6. Officially, this is it. But I've noticed that on my phone, the merged partition always seems to be corrupt. This is the fix:
7. Format the public:xxx,xx volume (this is the external storage partition, replace ofc the x's with the correct number)
$ sm format public:xxx,xx
8. Format the private:xxx,xx volume (this is the merged partition! THIS TAKES SOME TIME! On my phone, A 48GB partition took about 10minutes to format!)
9. You might get an error, but don't worry! Open up the storage setting on your phone, you should see that the merged partition is still formatting!
10. DO NOT DISCONNECT FROM YOUR PC! This might result in a broken SD card!
11. Wait till the formatting is done. The state of the partition changes in unmounted (=unassigned). Exit the adb shell, and safely eject you phone from the pc!
12. Click on the merged partition on your phone, your G Flex 2 will ask if you want to mount it. Click on accept, and now you should have two separate partitions. One being merged, the other one being external storage!

13. As a safety precaution, it's recommended to reboot, to let all the apps recognize the merged partition.

However...
If you want to acces your files on external SD through a external file manager, or by pc; neither will recognize your 'merged SD' or 'merged partition'. This is why I've described two options to merge the SD Card.

UPDATE: My pc suddenly detected the merged partition! But I wouldn't count on it, because I don't know why it suddenly detected it

Some users reported of errors after partitioning a disk as private/public (timeout issue). This is the same issue as I described in step 9 of way 2. Just let it do it's thing. After a while, when you're sure it's done, just reboot. You will get the wanted result, no matter what the error was.

*Downgrade to 5.1.1
Thanks to michele955 and shakeyabooti!
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele955

Downgrading from mm (20a) to lollipop (15e) works with LGUP

TO GO BACK TO LP FROM MM - Open LGUP on your computer, click on FILE PATH and point it towards your LP KDZ. Close LGUP and re-open LGUP. Make sure you select REFURBISH this will do a full wipe, tick BIN file. Press Start. Make cup of tea and be patient

credits to @shakeyabooti

So if you decide to try MM and you don't like it, downgrade is possible!
LP KDZ files can be found here

I've worked hard to make this post being what is it now. Please don't copy pieces out of it, without referring to the people I thanked and me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-17-17-49-29.png
Views:	14386
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	3786175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-17-17-36-53.png
Views:	14102
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	3786176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-17-17-43-19.jpg
Views:	14126
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	3786177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-17-17-37-46.jpg
Views:	13034
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	3786178  
The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to Simonally For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Simonally Ad-Free

16th June 2016, 05:37 PM |#2  
Flag Tecuci
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Alarm works for me!
I've attached some benhmark tests.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-16-19-58-43.png
Views:	6430
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	3785151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-16-19-58-51.png
Views:	6138
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	3785152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-16-19-58-55.png
Views:	5934
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	3785153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-16-20-07-29.png
Views:	5858
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	3785154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-18-14-09-50.png
Views:	4650
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	3786944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-18-14-16-56.png
Views:	4626
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	3786945  
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterOne1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MisterOne1 Ad-Free
16th June 2016, 05:42 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Brussels

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterOne1

Alarm works for me!

Android M battery saving kicks in after a while

I'll let you know tomorrow morning if it still works

EDIT:
Alarms indeed do still work
The Following User Says Thank You to Simonally For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Simonally Ad-Free
16th June 2016, 05:53 PM |#4  
Flag GT
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Thanks for your tutorial.... Could you provide any benchmark tests.... Like antutu, geekbench 3 etc.

And did LG improve the brightness adjustments.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H955 mit Tapatalk
16th June 2016, 05:56 PM |#5  
Flag Tecuci

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by assyriska

Thanks for your tutorial.... Could you provide any benchmark tests.... Like antutu, geekbench 3 etc.

And did LG improve the brightness adjustments.

The brightness is the same. I'll run some benchmarks and I'll post screenshots
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterOne1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MisterOne1 Ad-Free
16th June 2016, 06:03 PM |#6  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterOne1

The brightness is the same. I'll run some benchmarks and I'll post screenshots

you are wrong my friend...i test the brightness outside and now in sunlight legibility are improved...more bright, not a lot but the necessary to see better when outside! BTW, GPS is way way faster to lock than before...mine locks in less than 10 seconds.
16th June 2016, 06:07 PM |#7  
Flag Tecuci

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreamer91

you are wrong my friend...i test the brightness outside and now in sunlight legibility are improved...more bright, not a lot but the necessary to see better when outside! BTW, GPS is way way faster to lock than before...mine locks in less than 10 seconds.

Ok, I couldn't test maximum brightness because of thermal throttling, but the minimum brightness is the same, at least on my phone.
16th June 2016, 06:12 PM |#8  
Flag Craiova
Thanks Meter: 12

More
57.000 in antutu, and on lolipop i had 76.000, but for example NFS unlimited works far better then lollipop. The only problem i have is that the phone is hot every time i used for fb+messenger+instagram...that problem i never had on 15b

Camera Quality is far better, more sharp photos. Overal i love it, apps are starting faster, and no lag till now in menu and other apps.
16th June 2016, 06:19 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Does it overheat the same as before?
16th June 2016, 06:22 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Brussels

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtinxo

Does it overheat the same as before?

Mine didn't overheat on lollipop, due to Kernel Auditor adjustments. Now, without root, the phone stays cool. I noticed my phone got a bit warm when charging and gaming at the same time.

Tomorrow evening, I'll post some screens of the battery usage and the new updated apps.

Sent from my LG-H955 using XDA-Developers mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Simonally For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Simonally Ad-Free
16th June 2016, 06:27 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 118

More
Downgrade to lollipop 5.1.1 is probably working, like LG G4, or brick the device?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)