FORUMS

QD 9008 FIX!! Tested on LG-V410(G Pad 7.0 US ATT)

20 posts
Thanks Meter: 10
 
By thekiln, Junior Member on 12th December 2015, 01:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am beyond ecstatic, after 3 months of research, trial and error, I fixed my tablet!!

I am pleased to announce a fix to the dreaded QDLOAD 9008 brick! I've written this tutorial on the one tablet experimented on (LG-V410 aka Gpad 7.0 LTE US ATT), but I'm pretty certain others may find this helpful to other qualcomm msm based devices.
Background: I maintain that I can fix anything I break so I did the worst thing and corrupted the data on my LG GPAD LTE 7.0 (V410). As a result the tablet wouldn't go into any mode, no lights, even when charging, no screen image or light, nothing. When I plugged it into my computer, it wasn't even recognized, windows told me the device was having a problem. After a little experimentation I got it recognized (held power while connected to power cycle) by the computer as "QD BULK". Further research I found some drivers for Qualcomm devices and got the computer to recognize it as "QDLOADER 9008". I thought this was great news but from there got no where. I tried qpst, qfuse, hyperterminal, LG B2C, LG SUPPORT TOOL, EFS Professional, miflash, blankflash, etc... everything I tried got me nowhere. After 3 months, It is now fully operational and apparently CARRIER UNLOCKED, talk about a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow!!

WORD OF WARNING: This is not a simple matter, 9008 most likely means your Grand Partition Table is corrupted, and the poor thing doesn't have a clue how to function. My method is NOT GUARANTEED in any way, I will not be responsible if you turn your paper weight of a device into permanent paper weight or half functioning paper weight etc...PROCEED WITH CAUTION, this is not for the feint of heart nor a simple fix!! You've been warned!

PreRequisites:
-Windows (for expanding the KDZ) (there may be a linux alternative to LGFirmwareExtract)

-Linux and some basic experience with dd and navigating the terminal (I used ubuntu) --(again, nearly everything I'm about to explain can probaly be translated to another os.)

-KDZ for your device. http://forum.xda-developers.com/g-pa...-v410-t3224867

-Replacement aboot and boot (see attached)

-KDZ Extractor ---http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2600575

-TWRP http://forum.xda-developers.com/g-pa...0-410-t3049568

-Fasboot and ADB http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2588979

-A modified rom like Cyanogen mod etc... http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=v410

-16GB microsd card + a way of directly writing to it (i.e. usb card reader etc..) a second one is helpful but not required.

-Most important, Patience, beer, more patience, and more beer...

To teach a man to fish, some pertinent understanding: First thing to understand is how your main board works. Personally I disassembled my device and cross referenced every chip to do this, Good news is you don't have to. When power goes to the device, the SoC (system on a chip) looks to built in storage media for booting instructions (think low level here) and that in turn fires up everything else and then loads your kernel etc... You may be aware, there are two different types of computer systems out there, the old method used a BIOS, and the current uses UEFI. Older machines, when power was given to the system, the BIOS was responsible for firing up peripherals and finding the bootloader etc... UEFI (Unified Extended Firmware Instruction) however, relies on firmware on storage media to do all that.
For example, an x86 PC with a bios, when power is given to the board, the bios runs the show, testing equipment and waking up devices, then when it's ready, it looks to external media for a little magic byte at the end of the first sector of that media to indicate that it is bootable and in turn will boot (let those instructions take over). This style of booting media is called MBR or Master Boot Record.
Modern machines and most mobile devices use GPT or global partition table. There are quite a few advantages to GPT one primary being the possibility of many many more primary partitions, (MBR was very limited). The GPAD 7 LTE has 34 partitions to put things in perspective. When your device is stuck in 9008 mode, it is because it doesn't have a clue how to boot, most likely your GPT is corrupted. Fortunately, at least with the Gpad 7.0 this information does not have to be on the onboard internal memory chip. For this fix we will be constructing an sdcard to have all this info to get into a mode capable of writing to the emmc.


Without Further Ado, Here are the steps:

]PLUG THE TABLET INTO A CHARGER while you do the following (you may think it's been off and fully charged, but in reality it's probably been trying to boot over and over again while looking lifeless)

1.) Get the KDZ for your device (stock firmware)

2.) Extract the DZ using LGFirmwareExtractor

3.) Extract all the .bin files from the DZ using LGFirmwareExtractor

3b.) V410 US LTE ONLY - Replace aboot and boot with the files I attatched --I was fortunate enough to back them up before I hosed my tablet and they proved invaluable as the ones in the KDZ I linked to were causing strange graphic issues.

4.) open a terminal in linux and dd the sdcard with the file you extracted called "PrimaryGPT...."
I.E. "sudo dd if=/PATHTODZFILES/PrimaryGPT_0.bin of=/dev/sdx" (BE CERTAIN of the of= path, you can find yourself with more problems if you get that wrong) (run "sudo fdisk -l | less" first to verify what your sdcard's path is.)

This is where it gets tedious...:

5.) Do some hand stretches and start charting all 34 partitions on paper. Your sdcard is now partitioned with GPT and you need to know the name of each partition and its path. I.e. ("Partition name: LAF Located at /dev/sdXx")

6.) now for the fun part: dd every .bin to the corresponding partition EXCEPT: laf.bin and any of the system_xxxxx.bin files. (laf disables fastboot and the next step will bring you to a useless LG firmware download mode)( I.e. sudo dd if=/PATHTODZFILES/laf_xxx.bin of=/dev/sdXx) If some fail out, don't fret too much, I'm currently uncertain which ones are required and don't feel like corrupting my tablet again to figure that out. If the next step doesn't work you may need to revisit this step and ensure everything was accurate. It's easy to write down the wrong location for a partition and throw everything off

7.)Unmount your sdcard and put it in the tablet

8.) Press and hold power and volume up...If all went well, there is suddenly life to your paperweight!! Congratulate yourself and prepare for more fun... If nothing happened, revisit the above steps, more than likely something got flashed to the wrong partition.

9.)Now that you have fastboot, plug your tablet into the computer and use the following command: "fastboot boot TWRP.img" (or whatever the name or path is for your downloaded TWRP image.

10.) You should now be in TWRP and now your device is ADB ready, we are close to the home stretch...

11.) Now we need to load up an sdcard with all those dz files (except for laf and system images) and the custom rom like cyanogen mod. (if you only have the one sdcard you can unmount it and remove it while the table is in TWRP...crazy right?, if you opt for this, reformat the sdcard to ext or fat or whatever you please so the tablet can see all the bin files) Then put the sdcard into the tablet. You may need to remount the card in twrp before proceeding...

12.) Now from your computer type the following command "adb shell".

13.) now just like you did with the sd card dd PrimaryGPT_0.bin to the internal memory card, with the following command: dd if=/sdcard/PrimaryGPT_0.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0

14.) Grab the paper you wrote all the partitions down on and start doing the same thing you did to the sdcard to your tablet. You'll adjust the following command accordingly: "dd if=/sdcard/PARTITIONNAME.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblkpX (X being the partition number)
(again skip all system bin's and laf_xxxx.bin. Flashing laf disables fastboot on LG devices.)

15.) now time to install your custom rom, go through the prompts, clear your cache, and delvik cache and choose power off.

If all went well, you now have a tablet again, that's unlocked too!!!!! If not, don't lose faith, revisit the steps and ensure you didn't mistype or overlook something, this is so tedious it's easy to do. For instance, if you mistype your of=xxx it will create the file instead and give no error.

Post with your success stories, questions or difficulties and I'll try to help.

Yours Truly,
TheKiln

UPDATE/WARNING: Do not at any time under any circumstances dd directly from your host computer to the internal memory on your tablet, only do this via the asb shell. This may render a mode that I have not yet found a fix to, I will be working on it soon but from initial observation may be more complicated then the above instructions. With any invasive hacks like this tutorial there is always the possibility of making matters worse, so exercise caution and patience.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ReplacementBoot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (8.82 MB, 1542 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thekiln For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thekiln Ad-Free
15th December 2015, 02:25 AM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quick Update/Revision : I am actively experimenting with this device and wanted to share that if your sbl1 and sbl1b partition is corrupt I have confirmed it will also cause 9008 mode. Therefore, it may be best to determine if the table is corrupt (try "parted /dev/block/mmcblk print"), and if not instead of wiping rewriting mmcblk0 try restoring sbl1 and sbl1b first. The V410 boots in the following order from what I can tell slb1->aboot->boot->system. So far I haven't found a downside to my prior instructions but to be less invasive just in case it might be wise to try this amendment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thekiln For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thekiln Ad-Free
19th December 2015, 11:16 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Alabama
Thanks Meter: 20
 
Donate to Me
More
I know my grand partition is corrupt, because after doing fastboot erase, basically everything, it came up as /dev/sdb. In a panic, I had deleted all the partitions, so now obviously my emmc storage is one big formated 16gb HD that cannot be seen in windows or linux no longer.

I just tried your method, found this post by doing a google search for:

sudo dd if=PrimaryGPT_0.bin

Had been doing just this, including the laf and many other ways. Am still getting the same thing though when putting the sdcard in the tablet, shows a 0% battery.

with the sdcard in the tablet I do get:

Bus 003 Device 063: ID 05c6:f006 Qualcomm, Inc.

Then after a few minutes, leaving it plugged into the USB I get:

Bus 003 Device 058: ID 1004:61a1 LG Electronics, Inc.

Also, with the sdcard in I do get KDZ_FW_UPD_EN to start updating but then get a perimeter error.
19th December 2015, 11:41 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethnesbitt

I know my grand partition is corrupt, because after doing fastboot erase, basically everything, it came up as /dev/sdb. In a panic, I had deleted all the partitions, so now obviously my emmc storage is one big formated 16gb HD that cannot be seen in windows or linux no longer.

I just tried your method, found this post by doing a google search for:

sudo dd if=PrimaryGPT_0.bin

Had been doing just this, including the laf and many other ways. Am still getting the same thing though when putting the sdcard in the tablet, shows a 0% battery.

with the sdcard in the tablet I do get:

Bus 003 Device 063: ID 05c6:f006 Qualcomm, Inc.

Then after a few minutes, leaving it plugged into the USB I get:

Bus 003 Device 058: ID 1004:61a1 LG Electronics, Inc.

Also, with the sdcard in I do get KDZ_FW_UPD_EN to start updating but then get a perimeter error.

Ive seen the exact mode you are referring to. Three possibilities:
1.) unplugged, hold down the power button for 30 seconds (or less if fastboot comes up)
2.) your sd card does not have all the necessary partitions to boot (which i just confirmed are specifically rpm, rpmb, tz, tzb, sbl1, sbl1b, PrimaryGpt(has to be done first), aboot and abootb)
3) They didn't dd quite right. from my active testing Ive found if you script the dd'ing it doesn't quite flash right, unless you add a delay after each step.
Its actually a very good sign you are seeing the 0% battery logo, sounds like you are almost there. Let me know what happens. Ill be happy to help guide you. Ive dedicated my v410 as a dev board so Im constantly running tests and reverse engineering it.
20th December 2015, 01:53 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Flag Alabama
Thanks Meter: 20
 
Donate to Me
More
The 0% only shows up with the sdcard in, after I remove it, nothing. Tried wall charging it all night, that did nothing.

My theory is that if there was some way to mount the raw emmc and dd the primarygpt.bin to the raw emmc hd then the rest would be not problem.

I deleted the original EMMC partitions in gparted under linux after doing an erase fastboot -w laf, system, etc... something like that. After that the tablet did not show up again in gparted as soon as I unplugged it.

Right now I'm zero dd'ing my 16gb sd card, dang dd'ing seems to glue the partitions to the sdcard, If I try to fdisk the sdcard or delete the partitions using gparted, as soon as I dd the primarygpt.bin the old files reappear. Need to start fresh with 0s to the card.

In windows I can actually install specific lg drivers while in qualcomm hs_usb 9008 mode. The interesting thing with the sdcard in I can install the LG Android Net USB serial driver, which will not work while in 9008 mode.
20th December 2015, 02:08 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethnesbitt

The 0% only shows up with the sdcard in, after I remove it, nothing. Tried wall charging it all night, that did nothing.

My theory is that if there was some way to mount the raw emmc and dd the primarygpt.bin to the raw emmc hd then the rest would be not problem.

I deleted the original EMMC partitions in gparted under linux after doing an erase fastboot -w laf, system, etc... something like that. After that the tablet did not show up again in gparted as soon as I unplugged it.

Right now I'm zero dd'ing my 16gb sd card, dang dd'ing seems to glue the partitions to the sdcard, If I try to fdisk the sdcard or delete the partitions using gparted, as soon as I dd the primarygpt.bin the old files reappear. Need to start fresh with 0s to the card.

In windows I can actually install specific lg drivers while in qualcomm hs_usb 9008 mode. The interesting thing with the sdcard in I can install the LG Android Net USB serial driver, which will not work while in 9008 mode.

The 0% comes up when your sdcard is inserted because you are close to getting it done. You're going to have your computer running all night on the zero'ing but I can assure you that will be in vein. The whole point of this tutorial is so you can get into a mode in which you can flash the emmc. I can tell you are a little lost in the steps so pm me and I'll help you out. Also a word to the wise, you can try all you want with windows and the 9008 drivers, but seriously there is nothing out there specific to the v410 thats going to help you "engage" the 9008 mode. Not being stubborn I've just literally tried it all. If it's any credit I am clinically OCD. I can't sleep till I figure things out.
The Following User Says Thank You to thekiln For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thekiln Ad-Free
3rd January 2016, 08:01 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Finally, I see a hope is shining here!

I bricked my LG VK810, when I was trying to flash twrp, I refered to v500 pad instead and I flashed wrong img files (aboot, boot, sb1, sb2, sb3, tz & twrp.img) "only those 6 files" so I only need to replace those with the correct files, which I downloaded now.

I do not have Ubuntu, however I have CentOS, which i have not used for couple of years, so I forgot how to use it. also do I still need to use the LG Firmware Extractor?

please help
3rd January 2016, 09:29 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekiln

This is where it gets tedious...:

5.) Do some hand stretches and start charting all 34 partitions on paper. Your sdcard is now partitioned with GPT and you need to know the name of each partition and its path. I.e. ("Partition name: LAF Located at /dev/sdXx")

6.) now for the fun part: dd every .bin to the corresponding partition EXCEPT: laf.bin and any of the system_xxxxx.bin files. (laf disables fastboot and the next step will bring you to a useless LG firmware download mode)( I.e. sudo dd if=/PATHTODZFILES/laf_xxx.bin of=/dev/sdXx) If some fail out, don't fret too much, I'm currently uncertain which ones are required and don't feel like corrupting my tablet again to figure that out. If the next step doesn't work you may need to revisit this step and ensure everything was accurate. It's easy to write down the wrong location for a partition and throw everything off

Please please please help, how to do those steps!
3rd January 2016, 09:55 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnm4alll

Please please please help, how to do those steps!

I am not certain exactly which partitions have to be flashed, the attached note I made was from what I can tell so far. I was simply noting that it may be best to try one partition at a time vs doing them all at once, it is at your own descretion. So as far as listing the partitions, I'm not familuar with the centos distro but in Ubuntu it is something to the effect of fdisk /dev/sdb -l or gdisk /dev/sda then p. I hope that answers your question, If not please be more specific to your exact question.
4th January 2016, 03:32 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekiln

I am not certain exactly which partitions have to be flashed, the attached note I made was from what I can tell so far. I was simply noting that it may be best to try one partition at a time vs doing them all at once, it is at your own descretion. So as far as listing the partitions, I'm not familuar with the centos distro but in Ubuntu it is something to the effect of fdisk /dev/sdb -l or gdisk /dev/sda then p. I hope that answers your question, If not please be more specific to your exact question.

Thank you very much for your response, I am sorry I have never flashed partitions before, sbut I noticed gparted is not on CentOS, so I downloaded Puppy precise Linux as I was able to find gparted and I tried using it as shown in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z1Tu9l8WNc
But I am confused now about how big and what are the formats for the 34 partitions which need to be created?
4th January 2016, 08:00 PM |#11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnm4alll

Thank you very much for your response, I am sorry I have never flashed partitions before, sbut I noticed gparted is not on CentOS, so I downloaded Puppy precise Linux as I was able to find gparted and I tried using it as shown in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z1Tu9l8WNc
But I am confused now about how big and what are the formats for the 34 partitions which need to be created?

Flashing PrimaryGPT_0.bin will automatically create the partitions. Flashing the individual partitions will give each partition the data needed. There should be no need to manually create partitions, if no partitions show up in gparted, the problem goes back to primarygpt, as that is the partition table.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
9008, bulk mode, g-pad-7, lg-gpad-series, qdloader, v410

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes