FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Root] Root and TWRP for R

1,143 posts
Thanks Meter: 442

By tonu42, Senior Member on 3rd December 2014, 12:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Disclaimer: If you are not comfortable with using Fastboot and ADB and editing system files than this guide might not be for you. At this point this is what I have to offer.

Click here for the unofficial twrp image - Latest version as of 12/27/14

So getting right into it.

1. Turn on ADB mode on the watch by going to about and tapping the build info 7 times.

2. Download ADB and Fastboot utilties

3. Plug the watch into the computer and your phone should vibrate and ask you to accept the computers fingerprint, tick the check box to always allow and hit ok

4. Open up a command prompt or terminal inside of where the ADB utilities are located and enter
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
This next step will wipe your data!

5. Now you should be in fastboot, go ahead and on the terminal use the next code and follow prompts to unlock
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
6. Now after you re-set up your watch again you will need to do step 1 and 3 again.

Please do not skip step 6!

7. Go ahead and issue
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
8. Flash unofficial twrp, make sure the recovery image file is in the same location as fastboot than issue
Code:
fastboot flash recovery YOURIMGNAMEHERE.img
9. Upon successfully doing that you should have twrp installed

10. Lots in one step here, download the latest supersu.zip flashable file and put it in the same folder as ADB use the proper name of what you downloaded. Issue
Code:
adb push SUPERSUNAMEHERE.zip /sdcard/
11. Issue
Code:
 adb reboot recovery
12. than using the very tiny TWRP and somewhat messed up go ahead and use it to install the supersu.zip under the folder /sdcard

13. Enjoy root and twrp.

I will make this guide into a much easier Java program in the very near future to make it easier to use.

This was typed up pretty fast and it is kinda hacky, I will work on a bat script and a shell script if we have enough osx users here. I'm sure someone will come along and make this better if I don't get around to it.

Credits:
Dees-Troy for his TWRP support for dory our fish brother device which worked on our device
Chainfire for all his hard work these many years
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to tonu42 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tonu42 Ad-Free

3rd December 2014, 12:38 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Q: ADB complains there is no device listed.
A: Install universal ADB drivers and then go to device manager and under the device with a yellow warning icon go to update driver, Browse my computer, let me pick from list of device drivers, than Google ADB interface. If it still complains turn off debugging, than turn it back on, revoke authorization, then disable and re-enable again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonu42 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tonu42 Ad-Free
3rd December 2014, 12:38 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
One more just in case.
3rd December 2014, 02:04 AM |#4  
Flag Lex
Thanks Meter: 112

More
Great work!!
Just got the watch today and couldn't be happier. Custom kernel, TWRP and root (well sort of) all within 6 hours of having this watch.

I say root (sort of) because SU is force closing when running su in adb shell. First time it crashed adb on PC and had to reboot watch. Now it just force closes on my watch and adb exits on PC. What is the most current version of SuperSU? I have 1.94 from Chainfire's site.

Thank you SO MUCH for this! Do you or your team have a paypal?
3rd December 2014, 02:07 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefuel19

Just got the watch today and couldn't be happier. Custom kernel, TWRP and root (well sort of) all within 6 hours of having this watch.

I say root (sort of) because SU is force closing when running su in adb shell. First time it crashed adb on PC and had to reboot watch. Now it just force closes on my watch and adb exits on PC. What is the most current version of SuperSU? I have 1.94 from Chainfire's site.

Thank you SO MUCH for this! Do you or your team have a paypal?

The latest supersu is version 2.36 dated 11.27.2014. 1.94 is well over a year old, you need to update for sure that is why you are force closing.
The Following User Says Thank You to tonu42 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tonu42 Ad-Free
3rd December 2014, 02:10 AM |#6  
Flag Lex
Thanks Meter: 112

More
I figured that's what it was. Feeel real dumb for not finding the newest version the first time. Also most current is now 2.37 XD

Edit: That got it! Thanks tonu!
3rd December 2014, 02:18 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefuel19

I figured that's what it was. Feeel real dumb for not finding the newest version the first time. Also most current is now 2.37 XD

Edit: That got it! Thanks tonu!

I'm here to help! I'm working on adding other mods to my other thread right now I'm working on getting busybox working.
3rd December 2014, 02:31 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Thanks for doing all of this work.
I was hoping you could help me with a step I am stuck on.

10. Lots in one step here, download the latest supersu.zip flashable file and put it in the same folder as ADB. Issue "adb push SUPERSUNAMEHERE.zip /sdcard/

When I do this it is saying permission denied. Also, should the watch be in recovery or fully booted when I run this command?
Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydigital00

Thanks for doing all of this work.
I was hoping you could help me with a step I am stuck on.

10. Lots in one step here, download the latest supersu.zip flashable file and put it in the same folder as ADB. Issue "adb push SUPERSUNAMEHERE.zip /sdcard/

When I do this it is saying permission denied. Also, should the watch be in recovery or fully booted when I run this command?
Thanks

Disregard I did it again and for some reason it worked. Maybe I need to reboot first.
3rd December 2014, 06:32 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Recovery
I went through your command and everything worked until I ran:

fastboot flash recovery UNOFFICIAL-openrecovery-twrp-2.8.0.0-lenok.img

Now the device just boots into the recovery and not into the system. The system/data partitions keep saying:

E:Unable to mount /data
E:Unable to mount /system

I am very comfortable with fastboot and adb so I do not know what I did wrong here.

Any ideas?
The Following User Says Thank You to adamrobles For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift adamrobles Ad-Free
3rd December 2014, 06:55 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamrobles

I went through your command and everything worked until I ran:

fastboot flash recovery UNOFFICIAL-openrecovery-twrp-2.8.0.0-lenok.img

Now the device just boots into the recovery and not into the system. The system/data partitions keep saying:

E:Unable to mount /data
E:Unable to mount /system

I am very comfortable with fastboot and adb so I do not know what I did wrong here.

Any ideas?

Try reflashing the recovery IMG again. And check back here.

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app
3rd December 2014, 07:02 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
reflashed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonu42

Try reflashing the recovery IMG again. And check back here.

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app

I reflashed the recovery you provided and I keep rebooting to system but it takes me to twrp.

I am in the process of downloading the system dump from another thread to hopefully flash those to get back into the system.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)