• None of the above

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

TheLoonyRebel

Mar 20, 2010
Amazon Fire TV
Nexus Player
So the only thing we can do is modify the core UI apks to our liking.

Yeah I'm not worried about RRO/Layers on my watch to be honest. Curious I'm assuming the 1.4 OTA zip file that has been posted in the general area can be used as a basis for building a ROM, right? I could experiment a little myself and learn how to do a basic few things to get a basic ROM out (ie: rooted, tutorial mode removed, etc).

KevinX8

Mar 12, 2013
Yeah I'm not worried about RRO/Layers on my watch to be honest. Curious I'm assuming the 1.4 OTA zip file that has been posted in the general area can be used as a basis for building a ROM, right? I could experiment a little myself and learn how to do a basic few things to get a basic ROM out (ie: rooted, tutorial mode removed, etc).

Um that would be a waste of time to try and decompile that to use able data, I just backed up my system and used that as the source. Give me a few hours and I will extract the core Ui files and post them here for editing

Reactions: TheLoonyRebel

KevinX8

Mar 12, 2013

Apks for all to enjoy at first post now. Getting rid of tutorial should be simple after all it is just an apk. System rooted 6.0.1 rom needs a bunch of patches to work so no thanks to that besides I will be including invisiblek's kernel which is already rooted once this project gets off the ground

Crumplet

Sep 20, 2012
Google Pixel 4 XL
Apks for all to enjoy at first post now. Getting rid of tutorial should be simple after all it is just an apk. System rooted 6.0.1 rom needs a bunch of patches to work so no thanks to that besides I will be including invisiblek's kernel which is already rooted once this project gets off the ground
So at this point... What are we the regular user waiting on in order to start testing a unofficial version of this highly anticipated rom?

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA-Developers mobile app

KevinX8

Mar 12, 2013
So at this point... What are we the regular user waiting on in order to start testing a unofficial version of this highly anticipated rom?
When I will have time to theme the apps. If someone else is willing to do so it would be much faster, you just have to have some graphic editing(MS paint photoshop) knowledge to theme them

Reactions: Crumplet

Crumplet

Sep 20, 2012
Google Pixel 4 XL
When I will have time to theme the apps. If someone else is willing to do so it would be much faster, you just have to have some graphic editing(MS paint photoshop) knowledge to theme them
I will look into process on this weekend. I am dark theme in general. Send me process, basic steps to complete you mission.

KevinX8

Mar 12, 2013
I will look into process on this weekend. I am dark theme in general. Send me process, basic steps to complete you mission.
First target the Android wear apk that is the home menu just extract the files from the apk and edit the png inside to darker shade like dark grey and then send the new images in the format you took them out eg. /pics/home. Png in a zip or if you know how to clone a signature and repack an apk then do that

Reactions: Crumplet

Crumplet

Sep 20, 2012
Google Pixel 4 XL
First target the Android wear apk that is the home menu just extract the files from the apk and edit the png inside to darker shade like dark grey and then send the new images in the format you took them out eg. /pics/home. Png in a zip or if you know how to clone a signature and repack an apk then do that
Ya sorry man just don't have the knowledge to do it.

Last edited:

frap129

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 6, 2013
Sorry if this is a little old, but I created an ext4 img of system that has fonts symlinked to /sdcard/fonts. It fits on the system partition but does not boot. Any have an idea on what may be wrong?
EDIT: I am using invisibleks kernel that has the ext4 system mount in fstab.dory

Last edited:

KevinX8

Mar 12, 2013
Sorry if this is a little old, but I created an ext4 img of system that has fonts symlinked to /sdcard/fonts. It fits on the system partition but does not boot. Any have an idea on what may be wrong?
EDIT: I am using invisibleks kernel that has the ext4 system mount in fstab.dory
You have to create your own new kernel invisiblek and I have no interest in making an ext4 system boot as we are able to do what we wish without ext4

frap129

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 6, 2013
You have to create your own new kernel invisiblek and I have no interest in making an ext4 system boot as we are able to do what we wish without ext4
Alright, but how can you modify a read only system? Every time I try to create or delete a file I get "error: read-only filesystem" or permission denied. I tried using unsquashfs to decompress system.img, deleted some of the files listed in the second post, then used mksquashfs to recompress it and also had boot issues. Have you found a way around this?

KevinX8

Mar 12, 2013
Alright, but how can you modify a read only system? Every time I try to create or delete a file I get "error: read-only filesystem" or permission denied. I tried using unsquashfs to decompress system.img, deleted some of the files listed in the second post, then used mksquashfs to recompress it and also had boot issues. Have you found a way around this?
Ok what boot issues are you having? Is the kernel refusing to load the system similarily to ext4? Also make sure the system images are identical in size for consistency, when I was testing some things I would just force mount the squashfs image as drwx and then edit as I pleased, I don't quite remember what I did but I might check my linux vm for the info. Also do not delete the things marked as might cause breakage and keep the wifi garbage data in case it's required for boot. If you feel up to it just keep experimenting until you find something that works.

SamuEDL

Aug 1, 2011
A better not serious question instead of formatting in ext4, formatting in f2fs?

KevinX8

Mar 12, 2013
A better not serious question instead of formatting in ext4, formatting in f2fs?
We are no longer aiming to format in ext4, it is pointless as we can mod the system now without needing write access. If you wish to continue development for f2fs you are welcome to do so

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After further developments we have realised making a whole new kernel is not worth it as all functions we could want can be just made into a custom ROM
    This Project is now currently about how to make android wear darker, basically a theme for it. Since android wear those not contain any theme engine all ui mods must be done by hand ie apk modding. Anyone willing to mod the ui is welcome to do so as I do not have time but I will compile it into a system.img
    For everyone to enjoy here are all the apks contained in the system ie everything with a GUI.
    modify at your will and upload fully working signed apk if you would like to test it

XDA:DevDB Information
    Make Android Wear Great , ROM for the LG G Watch

Contributors
    Xmaster24, invisiblek
    ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: 6.0.1 bootloader
    Based On: Stock

Version Information

Created 2016-02-24
    Last Updated 2016-04-08
    Nice job! We would probably prefer not crippling fresh installs, so getting at least one watch face back in would be ideal.

Check out `the fonts/ directory, I bet some of those can be tossed out. Looks like you might gain a nice chunk of space by doing that. May need to look at/tweak etc/fonts.xml and etc/system_fonts.xml though, they reference the ttf files.

recovery-from-boot.p can definitely go. We don't need that.

These hals can probably go since they should be overridden by their msm8226/dory counterparts in the same dir. (Not saving much room at all by doing so, but it might get to the point where every kb counts)
    lib/hw/power.default.so
    lib/hw/audio.primary.default.so
    lib/hw/gralloc.default.so

Others that should be fine:
    etc/NOTICE.html.gz

Might cause some breakage, but since we don't have wifi you could try removing these:
    lib/libwifi-service.so
    framework/wifi-service.jar

Some other ideas I had if it came down to it would be to move some of the apps to /data/. Maybe creating a flashable zip or something to do so?
    Another idea would be to ship one or several "mini" squashfs images and mount them right after we mount /system/. For instance a fonts.img that's just the fonts/ directory, we could mount it during init right after system gets mounted. Not sure how much extra compression would be needed or space gained, and really this would probably be a last resort hack, but might just do the trick.
    Yet another idea is to shove more things into ramdisk, we have some room there still.

EDIT:
    These can go too:
    bin/install-recovery.sh (this is what clobbers twrp every boot, service is disabled in my ramdisk, but we should kill it anyway)
    bin/applypatch (only install-recovery.sh needs this)
    Just curious but how has the progress on this ROM been since invisiblek kernel has been updated with the MM source?

We have decided that it would take too much effort to create the kernel as having write access is barely useful at all since everything you would want to change in the build.prop can be changed via wm in the terminal. If invisiblek feels up to it you might see an update some time
    Yay the sources have been release so expect a kernel in the next few weeks