Thanks Meter: 40

By nick_white, Senior Member on 9th January 2017, 07:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th October 2017, 05:46 AM |#121  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singaiya

If your phone is still under warranty (I think it's one year), try sending it back to Motorola through their repair process. I was having the exact same gps problem with the g4 play, and didn't want to try a zillion technical things, so I returned it (6 months old). Was worried the replacement would have the same problem but it doesn't! The replacement g4 play has perfect gps tracking!

Could you please post a screenshot of GPS Test App (made by Chartcross Limited) of your mobile, taken in any open area like on the roof. Actually I have used the external wire technique to enhance GPS signal in my mobile since March. Since then the mobile has a significant change in the signal that it boosted from 10 - 20 SNR to 40 - 46 SNR. Currently there is no any problem of GPS in my device. The only problem is that, I cannot open my back cover in any circumstance as this will disturb the configuration.

So please provide us the screenshot soon as I have only 40 days left of expiration of warranty.
And Thanks for the info that you got a fix from the service center. Waiting for your reply!!!

8th October 2017, 08:06 PM |#122  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Here is the screenshot. I don't know how to interpret the numbers in this app, but at least the gps is working.
screenshot
The Following User Says Thank You to Singaiya For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Singaiya Ad-Free
14th October 2017, 06:28 AM |#123  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singaiya

Here is the screenshot. I don't know how to interpret the numbers in this app, but at least the gps is working.

screenshot

Sorry, but no, the problem of GPS in your device is not fixed yet. And many thanks for providing us the screenshot as now I would not waste my time giving my mobile to the service center. Also about the image, there is nothing so technical in it. The height of the bars in the image shows how much GPS signal your mobile is getting at a particular time from a satellite of which you can see the ID just below the bar. So you can simply guess about your GPS that the more the numbers of green bars you can see in this app, the more perfect your GPS is working. I am providing here my screenshot of the same app so that you can compare and see what is the capacity of the signal receptor of the device and what this mobile gave us in normal cases. The third one is your screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-10-14 at 9.27.07 AM (5).jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	4302137   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-10-14 at 9.27.07 AM.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	4302138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171008-105652.png
Views:	122
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	4302141  
14th October 2017, 09:18 PM |#124  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
[QUOTE=ashishwebmail;74149499] You are using 5 cm long wire. Is it critical to get the signal improved? Have you tried different lenghts?
Have you got the screenshots made outdoors or indoor? How consistent is this resolution?
Thanks
15th October 2017, 04:54 PM |#125  

More
[QUOTE=Yuger;74157981]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishwebmail

You are using 5 cm long wire. Is it critical to get the signal improved? Have you tried different lenghts?
Have you got the screenshots made outdoors or indoor? How consistent is this resolution?
Thanks

I have not done so much experiments so as to say anything about length of the wire. However I have concluded something which I can share :
1) Requires a lot of time. Beyond you can think of.
2) Greed is not good especially if you are short tempered and lack patience.
3) Always check durability of the configuration. It may be working best on 1st day but worst on 3rd day. So check durability by firmly pressing the part of the cover covering the wire or by a little shaking of the device.
4) Make sure you are not going to open the back cover in future (for purposes like removal/replacement of sim card or memory card ) so as not to disturb the configuration. But if it's urgent, get prepared for another wastage of time.
5) Check signal using GPS Test App (made by Chartcross Limited - Recommended ) in an open area like rooftop and away from tall buildings as it may give indirect signals to your mobile. Signal from all GPS satellites must be green in color and SNR should be above 35. Maximum SNR could be 43 - 45.

The screenshots in my previous post were taken on the roof. Here I am providing some other pics.
Pic1 : The top view of the mobile without cover.
Pic2 : The screenshot taken in my room just below the roof.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	4303619   Click image for larger version

Name:	img2.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	4303620  
18th October 2017, 08:51 PM |#126  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked_mistborn

Same problem here.
I ended up having to put a little solder on the spring contacts and then filing to make it flat. It increased the contact area with the antenna pads and so far seems to be working.

Thanks for the tip, do you think with time the solder will oxidize and need to be replaced? Also how come you put the solder on the spring contacts and not the pads? I was going to attempt to do this in the near future. My GPS is quite bad, never locks :/
19th October 2017, 06:17 AM |#127  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshreds

Thanks for the tip, do you think with time the solder will oxidize and need to be replaced? Also how come you put the solder on the spring contacts and not the pads? I was going to attempt to do this in the near future. My GPS is quite bad, never locks :/

What do you think about a couple of similar options?
First one - instead of adding solder which require heating contacts just to add a small square of copper foil on the pad or contact. This will increase the force on the spring contact without the need to bend it or solder.
Second one - place a piece of rubber like silicone rubber under the spring contact. This will rise it which again will increase contact force.
I haven't looked at the contacts yet myself so I don't know if these options are feasible.
19th October 2017, 10:28 PM |#128  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
My GPS experience with Moto G4 Play
I have a Moto G4 Play DTV (Brazilian) and I recently installed Lineage 14.1 (7.1.2) and I was having, as many of you, problems getting a GPS Fix. Was impossible to use it with Waze of Google Maps, for instance.

After having read this thread, I decide to do a little test, so I installed GPS Test by Chartcross and try it on an open air location. At first, few satellites and NO FIX. So I remove the cover (without turning off the phone) and pressed hard with my fingers on the GPS antenna spot. Few seconds later, I had 3D Fix and accuracy between 3/5 meters while pressing the antenna. After removing my fingers, accuracy drop to 8 meters, but I still had 3D Fix and I was able to drive with the help of Waze/Maps.

Attached are screen-prints of the GPS Test.

I guess this didn't solve the problem, but it seems like an easy way to make the GPS usable instantly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-10-19 at 18.04.26.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	4308064   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-10-19 at 18.04.26 (1).jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	4308065  
20th October 2017, 05:20 AM |#129  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuger

What do you think about a couple of similar options?
First one - instead of adding solder which require heating contacts just to add a small square of copper foil on the pad or contact. This will increase the force on the spring contact without the need to bend it or solder.
Second one - place a piece of rubber like silicone rubber under the spring contact. This will rise it which again will increase contact force.
I haven't looked at the contacts yet myself so I don't know if these options are feasible.

The springs are really tiny, its hard to stick anything under them, I also worry about bending them and breaking them. What I ended up doing is attaching a couple copper pads with electrical tape an a tape spacer so they don't touch. You can see the before/after images, it did make a difference hopefully it will last.

Any idea what would happen if the antenna shorted?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	before.png
Views:	138
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	4308258   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.png
Views:	138
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	4308259   Click image for larger version

Name:	fix.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	4308260  
20th October 2017, 05:58 AM |#130  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshreds

The springs are really tiny, its hard to stick anything under them, I also worry about bending them and breaking them. What I ended up doing is attaching a couple copper pads with electrical tape an a tape spacer so they don't touch. You can see the before/after images, it did make a difference hopefully it will last.

That is, probably, the easiest solution to accomplish. How thick are your copper pads?
20th October 2017, 06:08 AM |#131  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuger

That is, probably, the easiest solution to accomplish. How thick are your copper pads?

They are a little less than 1mm thick, I literally cut a couple rectangles from the copper pads on a battery contact and taped it together. Its like the contacts on the link below.

http://www.zxmwj.com/uploadfile/2015...7041656526.jpg
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)