FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Anyone else feel a slap in the face this morning?

107 posts
Thanks Meter: 23
 
By mkollersms, Senior Member on 12th June 2017, 09:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So as of this morning, Lenovo officially listed the Moto E4 and E4 Plus on their site. Here's the E4 specs:

-Almost the same as G4 Play
-Snapdragon 425 or 427
-NanoSIM
-Added e-compass (which SHOULD have been on the G4 Play, seriously)
-Fingerprint Scanner in select markets
-Nougat out of the box

And all for $20 cheaper than what most of us paid. Anyone else as pissed as I am?
The Following User Says Thank You to mkollersms For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mkollersms Ad-Free
 
 
13th June 2017, 03:21 AM |#2  
DB126's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9,297
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkollersms

So as of this morning, Lenovo officially listed the Moto E4 and E4 Plus on their site. Here's the E4 specs:

-Almost the same as G4 Play
-Snapdragon 425 or 427
-NanoSIM
-Added e-compass (which SHOULD have been on the G4 Play, seriously)
-Fingerprint Scanner in select markets
-Nougat out of the box

And all for $20 cheaper than what most of us paid. Anyone else as pissed as I am?

Not a all. The G5 series is replacing the G4 although the latter will likely remain available for some time. The E4 has a different demographic/geographic focus but will supposedly be available in Europe and North America, likely positioned as a budget phone.

The evolution you are seeing with the G4->E4 series regularly plays out in the consumer electronics, automotive and other industries. Fingerprint scanners were once exclusive to "flagship" devices; now some varients of the lowly E4 gets one. Amazing!
13th June 2017, 03:39 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey126

Not a all. The G5 series is replacing the G4 although the latter will likely remain available for some time. The E4 has a different demographic/geographic focus but will supposedly be available in Europe and North America, likely positioned as a budget phone.

The evolution you are seeing with the G4->E4 series regularly plays out in the consumer electronics, automotive and other industries. Fingerprint scanners were once exclusive to "flagship" devices; now some varients of the lowly E4 gets one. Amazing!

That would be fine and dandy except 1) magnetometers are far from a new technology, 2) lenovo NEVER addressed the GPS faults and I got bitched out by a rep over it, and 3) the OTA delay which should not have happened (though apparently part of the problem is the Bluetooth issue is affecting a huge amount of devices including the Pixel models themselves).

I did have the Moto E1 back in the day, and the fact it had the capacity to run CM14.0 was damned impressive. Of course, it wasn't without its faults either. A magnetometer should be in every phone and I don't understand why so many devices omit it. There's companies I won't so much as look at *coughSamsungcough* because it's such a powerful tool. You can't say that only flagships have it, since a lot of sub-$150 LG phones did (the Leon/Tribute2/Sunset for example). And I mean, the E1 didn't even have an LED flash. I was lucky to snag a cheap US Cellular model and do a Day-One Unlock.

But I would say I got far more use out of that phone than my G4P. I loved that phone, and this model has been a serious letdown. So it's like, do I want to give this company another $130 and risk being let down again? I personally won't. I plan to get a Sony Xperia L1 and let a family member have this one. It'll still have Lineage, so at least I'll be able to update the damned thing.
13th June 2017, 04:01 AM |#4  
DB126's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9,297
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkollersms

That would be fine and dandy except 1) magnetometers are far from a new technology, 2) lenovo NEVER addressed the GPS faults and I got bitched out by a rep over it, and 3) the OTA delay which should not have happened (though apparently part of the problem is the Bluetooth issue is affecting a huge amount of devices including the Pixel models themselves).

I did have the Moto E1 back in the day, and the fact it had the capacity to run CM14.0 was damned impressive. Of course, it wasn't without its faults either. A magnetometer should be in every phone and I don't understand why so many devices omit it. There's companies I won't so much as look at *coughSamsungcough* because it's such a powerful tool. You can't say that only flagships have it, since a lot of sub-$150 LG phones did (the Leon/Tribute2/Sunset for example). And I mean, the E1 didn't even have an LED flash. I was lucky to snag a cheap US Cellular model and do a Day-One Unlock.

But I would say I got far more use out of that phone than my G4P. I loved that phone, and this model has been a serious letdown. So it's like, do I want to give this company another $130 and risk being let down again? I personally won't. I plan to get a Sony Xperia L1 and let a family member have this one. It'll still have Lineage, so at least I'll be able to update the damned thing.

Hum...sounds like the G4P did not meet your expectations. I was fully aware of the GPS issues and sensor limitations (which were widely published) prior to purchase. I don't share your opinions on the base feature set for all phones but do believe proper advance research leads to a happier experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
13th June 2017, 08:31 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey126

Hum...sounds like the G4P did not meet your expectations. I was fully aware of the GPS issues and sensor limitations (which were widely published) prior to purchase. I don't share your opinions on the base feature set for all phones but do believe proper advance research leads to a happier experience.

Please tell me where you got this "advance research," because beyond Amazon user reviews (which I normally take with a grain of salt), I found no press coverage about any faults with this phone. Not even 6 months after its release.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to double down on this, because Lenovo THEMSELVES insisted there was no coverage of anything being wrong with this phone either.
13th June 2017, 12:28 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag West Palm Beach
Thanks Meter: 65
 
More
Not at all. I picked up this Moto 4 Play for 35 dollars on Black Friday which I only use as a "play" phone. It does my social media checkup, remote for my Android TV, eBay selling management, etc.

I have a Moto Z Play as my main phone so not at all do I feel a slap in my face. However, you do need to realize though is that each year parts become cheaper which is the reason why they are able to offer such a package with the Moto E4 this year. If this was last year, expect it to have been more expensive.
13th June 2017, 02:32 PM |#7  
DB126's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9,297
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkollersms

Please tell me where you got this "advance research," because beyond Amazon user reviews (which I normally take with a grain of salt), I found no press coverage about any faults with this phone. Not even 6 months after its release.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to double down on this, because Lenovo THEMSELVES insisted there was no coverage of anything being wrong with this phone either.

Lol - of course Lenovo is going to deny there is an issue.

Bottom line: I was aware of the issues prior to purchase (actually bought two); the info was not difficult to find and came from multiple sources. The device meets my lowered expectations especially given the price point. My better half is passively seeking a replacement due to GPS issue. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
13th June 2017, 04:25 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
How superior is SD425/427 to our SD410?
13th June 2017, 06:30 PM |#9  
DB126's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9,297
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous2211

How superior is SD425/427 to our SD410?

http://bfy.tw/CLWb
The Following User Says Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
13th June 2017, 07:22 PM |#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
I tried, and I found nothing, so I asked here. Next time, when you don't know something, don't hide yourself behind sarcasm, it's a waste of such a good rhetorical device.
13th June 2017, 09:11 PM |#11  
DB126's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9,297
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous2211

I tried, and I found nothing, so I asked here. Next time, when you don't know something, don't hide yourself behind sarcasm, it's a waste of such a good rhetorical device.

Not a tough find as evidenced by the search query.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes