FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE][TMO][VZW] Hide Tethering Data with NO 3RD PARTY APPS

1,667 posts
Thanks Meter: 840

By jasonmerc, Senior Member on 15th February 2017, 01:29 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
If you're like me, a PdaNet customer running Linux who's sad that there's no build of PdaNet designed for Linux for hiding tether usage over USB Tethering, then fear not! After some research I've devised a plan to hide USB tethering usage from carriers that DOES NOT require PdaNet!. I've tested this myself on T-Mobile and Verizon, and on both of these carriers it looks like it works just fine. This does not mean that it will only work with these carriers, these are just the ones I've tested myself (with the exception of the appended notes below). If you have another carrier not mentioned here, please test this out and let me know if it works for you and I'll add it to the OP at the bottom

Here's a precaution I'd take on Android too, just to make sure the carrier really doesn't find anything out:
Go to Magisk Manager and get yourself the OpenDNS or DNSCrypt addon and install that. I think Verizon is catching on that I'm tethering somehow through DNS, even when I use VPN. By setting my DNS on my phone's LTE connection to something that's not-verizon, this should allow me to dodge that. I recommend you doing it too as a precaution

Here's what you have to do for Linux:
1) Hop over to your Linux machine, open a terminal emulator, and type the following commands (with root privileges):
sudo sysctl net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=65
echo 65 | sudo tee /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_default_ttl

What this does is sets your PC's network packets to have a Time To Live of 65. This is to make it seem like the packets were originated from your phone instead of your PC. Android's default TTL for its packets is 64, so when the PC sends packets to your phone through tethering with a TTL of 65, they have a TTL of 64 by the time your phone sends them out to T-Mobile's towers (the internet).

2) If you want to have the PC's TTL set to 65 on every startup so you don't have to keep entering the two commands above again and again every time you reboot, add the following line to your PC's /etc/sysctl.conf file and save:
net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=65

Here's what you have to do for Mac: (credits for the instructions and post going to @BrettB0727)
For those wondering how to do this on a Mac, it can be done temporarily using:
Code:
sudo sysctl -w net.inet.ip.ttl=65
Or permanently by creating or editing /etc/sysctl.conf to add
Code:
net.inet.ip.ttl=65
if you end up creating the file, you will need to be sure and do:
Code:
sudo chmod 0644 /etc/sysctl.conf
sudo chown root:wheel /etc/sysctl.conf

Here's what you have to do for Windows:
1) Open up regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters

2) Make a new REG_DWORD entry in there called DefaultTTL and set it to 65

3) Reboot

NOTE: I've found that downloading files can be finicky. I was able to download an MP4 video before without it detecting I was using tethering data, but when I tried to get a .zip file from ModDB T-Mobile found out what I was doing. Just take warning that not all forms of network traffic will be hidden when tethering.

NOTE 2: Confirmed by @triggerlord to work with WiFi Hotspot, as well as with Simple Mobile

NOTE 3: If you're one of those people who have trouble hiding their data with this method, take @niry's advice and see if it helps: he said to remove `dun` type from pcweb.t-mobile.com APN and add it to the end of the fast.t-mobile.com one (if it's not already there)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasonmerc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jasonmerc Ad-Free

16th February 2017, 09:48 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Lol, this fixed my Simple Mobile (powered by T-Mobile) tethering issues. Nice! This works with the WiFi hotspot feature too BTW.
The Following User Says Thank You to triggerlord For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift triggerlord Ad-Free
17th February 2017, 04:56 PM |#3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerlord

Lol, this fixed my Simple Mobile (powered by T-Mobile) tethering issues. Nice! This works with the WiFi hotspot feature too BTW.

Were you able to browse the web (hidden) without changing your browsers user agent? I find that if I don't set Chrome to look like Android its 50/50 if it gets hidden or not.

Sent from my Moto G Play using XDA-Developers Legacy app
19th February 2017, 04:12 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmerc

Were you able to browse the web (hidden) without changing your browsers user agent? I find that if I don't set Chrome to look like Android its 50/50 if it gets hidden or not.

Sent from my Moto G Play using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Everything works fine. I didn't need to change browser agents or anything. (I'm using chromium though.) I've only tried this via WiFi hotspot. EDIT: And I didn't need to change the APN setting either. Changing the TTL was enough to get it working.
The Following User Says Thank You to triggerlord For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift triggerlord Ad-Free
15th August 2017, 03:35 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
is ma.t-mobile.com working for anyone? i keep getting sent to my.t-mobile.com even after doing what OP suggested. it used to work for me a few weeks back.
15th August 2017, 05:18 PM |#6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawtydat

is ma.t-mobile.com working for anyone? i keep getting sent to my.t-mobile.com even after doing what OP suggested. it used to work for me a few weeks back.

Maybe they shut down the website. Haven't been on it myself in months
15th August 2017, 05:22 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Maybe they shut down the website. Haven't been on it myself in months

i'm afraid that to be the case, but is there another way to monitor tether vs mobile data?
15th August 2017, 06:58 PM |#8  
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawtydat

i'm afraid that to be the case, but is there another way to monitor tether vs mobile data?

You might be able to in the T-Mobile app on your phone but other than that I think we're screwed now
14th September 2017, 10:26 AM |#9  
Flag A place with no mountains
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:

If you're like me, a PdaNet customer running Linux who's sad that there's no build of PdaNet designed for Linux for hiding tether usage over USB Tethering, then fear not! After some research I've devised a plan to hide USB tethering usage from T-Mobile. Tested and confirmed working with Ubuntu 16.10 and Mint 18.1, with the latest ResurrectionRemix on my XT1607.

When using this method, is the PdaNet app required on the phone?
14th September 2017, 04:03 PM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainX

When using this method, is the PdaNet app required on the phone?

No, you don't need any apps
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonmerc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jasonmerc Ad-Free
18th September 2017, 11:37 AM |#11  
Flag Bybee
Thanks Meter: 5

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerlord

Can you supply more information.
I'm looking at switching carriers due to my location(In the mountains with just about nothing for service providers) and want to know how much data you actually use.

What's the most data you have used with this TTL method?
Have they throttled you? and if so, how much?

Any information you can supply is extremely helpful. Thank you! =D
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)