Post Reply Email Thread
18th September 2017, 11:37 AM |#11  
Flag Auburndale
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerlord

Lol, this fixed my Simple Mobile (powered by T-Mobile) tethering issues. Nice! This works with the WiFi hotspot feature too BTW.

Can you supply more information.
I'm looking at switching carriers due to my location(In the mountains with just about nothing for service providers) and want to know how much data you actually use.

What's the most data you have used with this TTL method?
Have they throttled you? and if so, how much?

Any information you can supply is extremely helpful. Thank you! =D

18th September 2017, 01:03 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 122

More
I've used 60gb no throttle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to triggerlord For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift triggerlord Ad-Free
18th September 2017, 01:15 PM |#13  
Flag Auburndale
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
That's awesome. Thank you for that information.
20th September 2017, 02:39 PM |#14  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 442

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawtydat

is ma.t-mobile.com working for anyone? i keep getting sent to my.t-mobile.com even after doing what OP suggested. it used to work for me a few weeks back.

Works for me.
22nd October 2017, 07:56 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmerc

What this does is sets your PC's network packets to have a Time To Live of 65. This is to make it seem like the packets were originated from your phone instead of your PC. Android's default TTL for its packets is 64, so when the PC sends packets to your phone through tethering with a TTL of 65, they have a TTL of 64 by the time your phone sends them out to T-Mobile's towers (the internet).

Thanks, jasonmerc! This put me in the right direction to remove the need for PdaNet on my Mac and also to be able also use my phone as a Wi-Fi Hotspot at full speed on T-Mobile. I'll be looking for your tutorial to bypass T-Mobile's international speed limits!

For those wondering how to do this on a Mac, it can be done temporarily using:
Code:
sudo sysctl -w net.inet.ip.ttl=65
Or permanently by creating or editing /etc/sysctl.conf to add
Code:
net.inet.ip.ttl=65
if you end up creating the file, you will need to be sure and do:
Code:
sudo chmod 0644 /etc/sysctl.conf
sudo chown root:wheel /etc/sysctl.conf
The Following User Says Thank You to BrettB0727 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BrettB0727 Ad-Free
28th December 2017, 09:11 PM |#16  
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB0727

Thanks, jasonmerc! This put me in the right direction to remove the need for PdaNet on my Mac and also to be able also use my phone as a Wi-Fi Hotspot at full speed on T-Mobile. I'll be looking for your tutorial to bypass T-Mobile's international speed limits!

For those wondering how to do this on a Mac, it can be done temporarily using:

Code:
sudo sysctl -w net.inet.ip.ttl=65
Or permanently by creating or editing /etc/sysctl.conf to add
Code:
net.inet.ip.ttl=65
if you end up creating the file, you will need to be sure and do:
Code:
sudo chmod 0644 /etc/sysctl.conf
sudo chown root:wheel /etc/sysctl.conf

I just noticed your reply right now, and I appreciate the steps for doing this on a Mac! I'm going to add these Mac steps to the first post and give you credit for it

As far as international data limits go, I'm not sure I can address that with a fix like this unfortunately.
28th March 2018, 03:39 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Still working?
I haven't been able to get over 500kbps using this method. Is this approach still working for folks in 2018?
28th March 2018, 06:03 PM |#18  
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatemz

I haven't been able to get over 500kbps using this method. Is this approach still working for folks in 2018?

I haven't used this in a while, but I'll give it a try soon to see if it still does
21st May 2018, 05:01 PM |#19  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatemz

It works in combination with altering the `type` string in the APNs: remove `dun` from pcweb.t-mobile.com one and add it to the fast.t-mobile.com one so it will read `default,supl,hipri,fota,dun`.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niry For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift niry Ad-Free
22nd May 2018, 06:03 PM |#20  
Quote:
Originally Posted by niry

It works in combination with altering the `type` string in the APNs: remove `dun` from pcweb.t-mobile.com one and add it to the fast.t-mobile.com one so it will read `default,supl,hipri,fota,dun`.

Thanks for letting me know about this. I was talking to some people about using this method and they said it was a hit or miss in terms of hiding their tethering usage. I'll update the OP to include what you said as a fix, for people to try out if it's not working
31st May 2018, 09:14 PM |#21  

More
IPv6?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmerc

Thanks for letting me know about this. I was talking to some people about using this method and they said it was a hit or miss in terms of hiding their tethering usage. I'll update the OP to include what you said as a fix, for people to try out if it's not working

Anytime. I just noticed .5mbps again and found that removing IPv6 from the laptop helps. (I think that getting IPv6 from t-mo is a new thing, but not 100% sure)
EDIT: it seems like there are other issues with t-mobile IPv6 implementation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...ile_IPv6_users
The Following User Says Thank You to niry For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift niry Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)