FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL][F500,LS991,H81x,US991,VS986][MM,N,O] TWRP [2018-08-06]

3,698 posts
Thanks Meter: 9,259

By steadfasterX, Recognized Developer on 18th August 2016, 05:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from steadfaster: IMPORTANT Notice regarding the new unofficial TWRP versions
About

Quote:

TWRP is an open source, community project. TWRP development is done by roughly 4 people at this point. We also have a large support community with many people who are willing to answer questions and help people with their devices either through our IRC channel or on forums like xda-developers.

Team Win was originally formed to work on porting WiMAX to CM7 for the HTC EVO 4G. After our work on the EVO 4G we wanted to work on a project that would work on more devices than just the EVO 4G and we settled on working on a recovery. Today TWRP is the leading custom recovery for Android phones.

A custom recovery is used for installing custom software on your device. This custom software can include smaller modifications like rooting your device or even replacing the firmware of the device with a completely custom "ROM" like OmniROM

(Source: https://twrp.me/)

Is this the official TWRP thread?

YES until you find any further notice on https://twrp.me .

Features
  • <MM> (PREVIEW + current OFFICIAL): Build on (Android 6.0) sources
  • <N> (PREVIEW): Build on (Android 7.1) sources
  • <O> (PREVIEW): Build on (Android 8.1) sources
  • TITAN kernel inside (build with UBER Toolchain)
  • Time is working (for both STOCK and CM/AOSP based)
  • Decrypting is supported on: MM, N, O (CM/LOS/AOSP based ROMs) and on STOCK based ROMs (N only)
  • DT2W (double tap to wake up) - thx for the idea @ufocus
  • see the Changelog post for all features!

Requirements
  • You need to have a unlocked bootloader (see FAQ #9) to install and use TWRP!
  • To avoid issues with some ROMs (e.g. CM) this TWRP version comes without any supersu

Known issues
  • decrypting STOCK (other then N) is not working - only CM / LOS / AOSP based are fully supported
  • on some devices (unfortunately not on mine) the screen keeps unresponsive during a backup. Please just be patient it will start working again after the backup has finished.
  • after flashing Nougat bootloader (e.g. v29a) TWRP may lag. This has been reported by a few but I cannot reproduce that on mine.

Download
  • official twrp download page (search for your device model)
  • unofficial / PREVIEW releases:
    From time to time I may release unofficial PREVIEW versions before merging them to official builds.
    Those are meant as test builds only! Keep in mind that all my changes when they go stable will be merged with the official tree so you can just wait for a stable release.
    Keep in mind that unofficial versions may contain unknown bugs!! so don't rely on backups taken from these versions!

Unofficial PREVIEW downloads (most current):
    • 1) When do you need to install a specific flavor (MM, N, O,...) ?
      • if you want correct time setting in TWRP
      • if you want to decrypt - so encrypted your device

2) Is there any other reason why I should use a specific flavor (MM, N, O,...) ?
      • no!
        you can use ANY flavor if you don't care about the above 2 reasons

3) So I can use ANY TWRP version to install ANY ROM?
      Or do I need to use a specific flavor (MM, N, O,...) when it comes to install ROMs or other ZIPs?
      • read 2) again!

• Download Link: http://leech.binbash.it

BETA downloads (extremely outdated): Download section above.

Installation

Optional but highly recommended:
Method 1) TWRP app (recommended but requires a rooted device)

Google play store: TWRP-App
Without play store: official twrp website
  • I said you need an unlocked device. So ensure you have it unlocked and for official unlocked G4 models the OEM unlocking option must be enabled!
  • Install the app and open it. Agree to the Terms.
  • Select TWRP Flash.
  • Select your device from the device list (H811, H815) and choose a version.
  • The file will download to your Downloads folder.
  • Browse to and select the file.
  • Tap on Flash to Recovery.
  • Find out more about the app here.

Method 2) fastboot
  • This howto works 100% up to and including MM (scroll down for N):
    1. I said you need an unlocked device. So ensure you have it unlocked and for official unlocked G4 models the OEM unlocking option must be enabled (see screenshot)
    2. Connect an USB cable and get ADB running (READ the FAQ!! or the general guide above)
    3. Boot into Android and then type on your PC to reboot into fastboot mode:
      adb reboot bootloader
    4. Type on your PC:
      fastboot boot twrp.img
      (replace twrp.img with the real file name you downloaded)
    5. Then copy the twrp.img to your device while still in twrp (e.g. with a file explorer or by typing adb push twrp.img /sdcard)
    6. Flash the twrp.img with twrp GUI to the recovery partition (choose the button at the bottom named image to show the copied image)
    7. It is highly recommended to verify your TWRP installation by booting into Android now
      fastboot reboot
      Then execute: adb reboot recovery
      or in a Android terminal app execute: reboot recovery
      If you see TWRP afterwards then you are safe to use the key combo:
      After installing TWRP correctly, you will still have the original LG factory reset screen/menu booting before TWRP, every time. So the correct and only way to get into TWRP with a key combo is to select two times "Yes" in the official LG factory reset menu, and only then you will get into TWRP (It's a restriction by LG. There is no key combo available in some / all / most LG devices to boot directly into recovery and so TWRP).
    8. If that worked go into the reboot menu and choose reboot to recovery again so TWRP should boot up once again
    9. Now all should be in place and TWRP should resist even booting into Android

• This howto is for the Nougat bootloader (for LP or MM scroll up):
    1. I said you need an unlocked device. So ensure you have it unlocked and OEM unlocking option is enabled (see screenshot)
    2. Connect an USB cable and get ADB running (READ the FAQ!! or the general guide above)
    3. Boot into Android and then type on your PC to reboot into fastboot mode:
      adb reboot bootloader
    4. Type on your PC (fastboot BOOT command has been removed from Nougat!):
      fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
      (replace twrp.img with the real file name you downloaded)
    5. There is no 100% way to verify your TWRP installation so you have to take the risk but ensure you follow this next step briefly:
      After installing TWRP correctly, you will still have the original LG factory reset screen/menu booting before TWRP, every time. So the correct and only way to get into TWRP with a key combo is to select two times "Yes" in the official LG factory reset menu, and only then you will get into TWRP (It's a restriction by LG. There is no key combo available in some / all / most LG devices to boot directly into recovery and so TWRP).
      Do this right now!! open the factory reset screen to get into TWRP!
      If you skip the step and boot into Android before doing this TWRP will be overwritten by Android so it is crucial important to do this step above directly after flashing TWRP!!!!! if you miss it you will have to flash TWRP again!
    6. If that worked go into the reboot menu and choose reboot to recovery again so TWRP should boot up once again
    7. Now all should be in place and TWRP should resist even booting into Android

Upgrade

Upgrading TWRP is easy. Just push the new image file to your device and flash from TWRP!
  1. boot into TWRP (check the FAQ for a howto)
  2. copy the new twrp.img to your device while still in twrp (e.g. enable MTP in TWRP and use a file explorer or by typing adb push twrp.img /sdcard on your PC (needs ADB installed. Again check FAQ for how to set this up))
  3. In TWRP switch the view to show image files by choosing the button at the bottom named Image and walk to the place where you pushed the new twrp image file.
  4. Choose the new twrp image file and when asked choose the "recovery" partition
  5. done. You can now reboot into recovery again to check that the upgrade has worked.

Support

I'm normally available in the official twrp IRC channel and besides that it is always the best way for getting TWRP support (channel #twrp)!

Before actually going there or if you're new to IRC please read and follow FAQ #5 What is required to get support?

Thread rules
  1. Never ask for ETA's !

Sources

Thanks/Credits
  • TEAMWIN of course
  • @DevUt for the continues help on IRC
  • @jcadduono for some help with qseecomd libs
  • @kessaras for the TITAN kernel and for being often enough my testing bitch

XDA:DevDB Information
Official TWRP including full decryption support, Tool/Utility for the LG G4

Contributors
steadfaster, draymond1987
Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_lge_g4

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.2
Stable Release Date: 2018-08-06
Current Beta Version: any PREVIEW
Beta Release Date: 2018-08-20

Created 2016-08-18
Last Updated 2018-08-20
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main.png
Views:	28068
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	3872846   Click image for larger version

Name:	decrypting.png
Views:	27808
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	3872901  
The Following 77 Users Say Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ]

18th August 2016, 05:02 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Changelog

Latest Official release
twrp-3.2.3-0
Release date: 2018-08-06
Download: https://twrp.me
Device Tree changelog: (no changes)
TWRP sources changelog: twrp-3.2.2-0 <--> twrp-3.2.3-0 (previous official vs. current official)
Summary changelog:
Previous Official(!) builds

twrp-3.2.2-0
Release date: 2018-07-01
Device Tree changelog: (no changes)
TWRP sources changelog: twrp-3.1.1-0 <--> twrp-3.2.2-0 (previous official vs. current official)
Summary changelog: twrp-3.2.1-0
Release date: 2018-05-25
Device Tree changelog: twrp-3.1.1-0 <--> twrp-3.2.1-0 (previous official vs. current official)
TWRP sources changelog: twrp-3.1.1-1 <--> twrp-3.2.1-0 (previous official vs. current official)
Summary changelog:
twrp-3.1.1-1
Release date: 2017-06-21
Device Tree changelog: twrp-3.1.1-0 <--> twrp-3.1.1-1 (previous official vs. current official)
TWRP sources changelog: twrp-3.1.1-0 <--> twrp-3.1.1-1 (previous official vs. current official)
Summary changelog:
  • decryption fixed (again) for CM/AOSP

twrp-3.0.2-1
Release date: 2017-06-15
Download: https://twrp.me/devices
Device Tree changelog: twrp-3.0.2-1 <--> twrp-3.1.1-0 (previous official vs. current official)
TWRP sources changelog: twrp-3.0.2-1 <--> twrp-3.1.1-0 (previous official vs. current official)
Summary changelog:
  • LL supported again
  • Unification of h811 and h815
  • many bugfixes, speed and other improvements (pls check the above changelog links!)

Latest PREVIEW release
read more about PREVIEWS and the <flavor>'s in the OP (what they are and when to use)!

twrp-<version>-PREVIEW-<buildnumber>_g4_<flavor>
Release date: see leech server
Download: sfX leech server (same download for all G4's)
Kernel: preview builds compile the kernel on build automatically (official not) - so the kernel differ between official and preview
Device Tree changelogs:

Previous builds

twrp-3.2.1-PREVIEW-116_g4_O (only O!)
Release date: 2018-03-28
Download: Download Page (same download for all G4's)
Device Tree changelog: O flavor
Summary changelog:
  • newest TITAN
  • switched kernel toolchain (same then TITAN uses)
  • decrypting O works (aoscp tested)
  • complete build on O sources (TWRP)

twrp-3.2.1-PREVIEW-109_g4_N (only N!)
Release date: 2018-03-17
Device Tree changelog: N flavor
Summary changelog:
  • Decrypting STOCK N is working now!

twrp-3.2.1-PREVIEW-106_g4_<flavor>
Release date: 2018-03-15
Device Tree changelog: MM flavor and N flavor
PREVIEW vs. OFFICIAL changelog: MM PREVIEW <--> latest official TWRP and N PREVIEW <--> latest official TWRP

twrp-3.2.0-PREVIEW-43_g4_<flavor>
Release date: 2017-12-07
Download: Download Page (same download for h811/h815)
Device Tree changelog:
<custom-m>: https://github.com/steadfasterX/andr...ts/android-6.0
<custom-n/stock>: https://github.com/steadfasterX/andr...ts/android-7.1
PREVIEW vs. OFFICIAL changelog:
<custom-mm>: this PREVIEW <--> twrp-3.2.0-0
<custom-n/stock>: this PREVIEW <--> twrp-3.2.0-0
Summary changelog:
  • <all>: replaced LLAMA kernel with TITAN (thx @kessaras for the kernel )
  • <all>: updated TWRP codebase to 3.2.0 (https://github.com/omnirom/android_b......android-8.0)
  • <all>: removed legacy LP decryption support (it MAY still work though bc of the next line)
  • <all>: using new decryption support by TW_CRYPTO_USE_SYSTEM_VOLD ( https://github.com/omnirom/android_b...e88de2358c5ba1 )
    This means in theory: decrypting stock and any other ROM should be much easier now.
  • <custom-n>: enabled debug when decrypting (will be disabled once all decrypting tests are done)
  • <stock>: builds are now based on 7.1 tree (like custom-n)
  • <custom-mm>: in some beta versions decrypt was broken which is now fixed again
  • <all>: fixed time (again)
  • <all>: from now on I will generate md5 hashes for all unofficial / PREVIEW twrp releases

twrp-3.1.1-BETA-g4-sfXbuild3
Release date: 2017-06-20
Device Tree changelog: previous BETA <--> this BETA
BETA vs. STABLE changelog: this BETA <--> twrp-3.1.1-0
Summary changelog:
  • decryption fixed (again) for CM/AOSP

BETA-5 Build id #327 (h811 + h815)
Release date: 2016-12-19
Device Tree changelog: build #317 <--> build #327
TWRP sources changelog: build #317 <--> build #327
  • first working unified TWRP version for both h811 and h815 in one build. That means:
    from now on there will be 1 single download file which works for both devices.
  • factory reset in Android will do it's job now! That means:
    using the factory reset hardware key combo will just open TWRP (as it is in all builds)
    but when you do a factory reset in Android settings it will boot into TWRP and wipe now
    Hint: This requires the ROM uses /grow as /misc partition! Example: CM supports this in CM14.1 since 15th of Dec 2016
    Other ROMs may have to change their fstab to make this working for them

BETA-4 Build id #317 (h811 + h815)
Release date: 2016-12-16
Device Tree changelog: build #285 <--> build #317
TWRP sources changelog: build #285 <--> build #317
BETA-3 Build id #285 (h811 + h815)
Release date: 2016-12-14
Device Tree changelog: build #186 <--> build #285
TWRP sources changelog: build #186 <--> build #285
  • first fully working version for the h811 device
  • governor=intelliactive, IO scheduler=sioplus, rhsize=1024. see twrp benchmark
  • adding /misc to support CM internal updater! Now cmupdater would work if the CM devs will enable it again (will work up to 5th of Dec CM 14 builds nevertheless. The internal cmupdater will prevent booting into recovery after that build date... Tested on h811 and h815.).
  • Ensuring that factory reset by the hardware key combo will not reset the device (proven on h811 and h815 that it will NOT wipe when open "factory reset" page with hardware key combo)!
  • Switched back to android-6.0 branch because bigbiff recommended that

BETA-2 Build id #186 (h815)
Release date: 2016-11-21
Device Tree changelog: build #162 <--> build #186
TWRP sources changelog: build #162 <--> build #186
  • Using FIOPS I/O scheduler
  • read_ahead_kb=2048

Build id #162 (h815)
Release date: 2016-09-12
Device Tree changelog: build #91 <--> build #162
TWRP sources changelog: build #91 <--> build #162
  • new: build on the latest 7.0 branch of TWRP
  • CRITICAL fix: bug when restoring EFS! (Due to an issue in the TWRP sources it was not possible to restore EFS which is fixed now)
  • fix: time was not correct for CM based ROMs
  • fix: time was not correct for STOCK based ROMs
  • new: double tap will awake device
  • fix: minor issue for bootdevice
  • fix: launch qseecomd on boot to avoid issues with decryption
  • fix: logfile messages now all in /tmp/recovery.log instead of cmd specifics
  • fix: removed /firmware from backup menu --> DO NOT TRY TO RESTORE ANY PREVIOUS /firmware BACKUP! You can restore it with LG Up if you do that by mistake
  • ... for the rest and details checkout the changelog above

Build id #091
Release date: 2016-08-18 - Removed due to a bug in twrp sources. Pls see my post here
Device Tree changelog: TeamWin official <--> build #91
TWRP sources changelog: TeamWin official <--> build #91
  • initial public release
  • making decryption work
  • ... for the rest and details checkout the changelog above
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th August 2016, 05:02 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
  1. What's the meaning of decryption in terms of TWRP?
    • When you enable full device encryption in your favorite ROM or using stock without modification then your data partition is encrypted. That means no one can access your data when you shutdown your phone.
      So in twrp you will see the data partition as a big 32gb unreadable partition even if 3GB are in use when you booted (and therefore decrypted) your ROM.
      You CAN still backup that data partition but it will backup the whole 32GB because of encryption.
      With this twrp version when started you will be asked for the decryption password and your data partition is readable as in the ROM. When you backup now the data partition it just backups the data in use so 3 GB instead of 32GB.

Regarding any pros of not using full disk encryption in your ROM I can say it does not really matters in performance in all normal cases. You will always read that disabling decryption will give you much more power and so on but the today's spec of phones are so good you will feel a slightly diff only. Ok some users still believe that this is minimal diff is what they need but to be honest: The ONLY way to find an answer for yourself is testing on your own using the SAME ROM and same version! One time with encryption once without. Use the exact same ROM and use the exact same configuration like governors, custom kernels etc.

On the other hand you will get a minimum of security if you enable encryption but give access to everyone finding your lost phone if not!
      So it's up to you if you want this risk for a minimum on performance improvement.

And just for sure:
      decrypting in twrp is not permanent! Your data gets just decrypted for backing up nothing more nothing less.

2. You talked about using IRC to get support. What is this and how can I use that?
    • Meaning of IRC => Internet Relay Chat. A very good IRC client is this one here: hexchat <-- download it and read the quick intro to get started: Quick-Start
      --> when asked if you want to join a channel type in "#twrp" and after connected you will be in.
    • If you do not want to install anything you can simply use the webchat instead directly over here: Webchat
    • Howto communicate? IRC means many people talking the same time and there are some goods and bads to know about using IRC.
      So please read this mini and very quick overview (especially the good manners there): Good manners in IRC (matches for all OS not for fedora only)

3. What is that "adb" thing??
    • adb stands for: Android Debug Bridge and can help a lot when it comes to work with your device. It is not for developers only but they use it a lot of course.
      But a normal user can use this to exchange files without the need of mounting, backing up the device, reboot the device and use it as a very comfortable way of having a terminal emulator.
    • I highly recommend to use FWUL to connect your device. Not for TWRP only but also for anything else adb/fastboot related.

4. What Logfiles have to be provided and how?
    Two options are available:
    Option A is the absolute minimum when reporting an error and it can be done by every user without installing anything or any special skills!! Reports without this minimal requirement will be ignored!
    Option B is also very simple but you need to install ADB if not installed already. The steps are very easy and there is an easy installer available.
    Keep in mind that if you have a problem and want that to be solved the more you can tell and the more you can provide the better it is. So choose your option wisely....

A) The absolute MINIMUM: recovery.log:
    1. Start in TWRP and connect an USB cable to your device
    2. Menu: Advanced
    3. Menu: Copy Log
    4. Click Home button and go to Menu: Mount
    5. Ensure MTP is enabled (button at the bottom)
    6. Open the file explorer on your PC and go to Sdcard
    7. open the file "recovery.log" in a text editor (windows users: Wordpad)
    8. copy the whole content and paste it on http://bpaste.net (choose a long duration in the drop down). After you pasted your log there a LINK WILL BE GENERATED!!! I NEED THAT URL !!!.
      Here are 2 screenshots which should guide you in this:
      paste the log file:

Name:	screenshot_001.png
Views:	134
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	4512130
      copy URL:

Name:	screenshot_002.png
Views:	122
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	4512131
    9. Report the link of that paste URL by PM or in this thread
    10. Besides the above tell me:
      • ROM name or say "STOCK"
      • ROM version ("LL" or "MM" - if you can tell me the build number as well)
      • Encrypted device or not

B) But for THE BEST SUPPORT provide not recovery.log only but also dmesg by executing the following cmds on your PC:
    1. Start in TWRP and connect an USB cable to your device. Then on your PC (requires ADB installed! Check FAQ #3 of this post!!):
    2. adb shell
    3. dmesg > /tmp/dmesg.txt
    4. OPTIONAL (only when requested by me): logcat -d -b all > /tmp/logcat.txt
    5. OPTIONAL (only when requested by me): adb pull /tmp/logcat.txt
    6. OPTIONAL (only when requested by me): cat /proc/last_kmsg > /tmp/kmsg.txt
    7. exit
    8. adb pull /tmp/recovery.log
    9. adb pull /tmp/dmesg.txt
    10. OPTIONAL (only when requested by me): adb pull /tmp/kmsg.txt
    11. Open all logs one by one with a text editor like wordpad or similar and paste it here: http://paste.omnirom.org (do NOT paste all in one! Every single log should have a single paste URL)
      If the logfile(s) are too big to get them uploaded on paste.omnirom.org use something like gists.github.com if you have a github account or zip it and upload it at www.filedropper.com
    12. Report the link of that paste URLs by PM or in this thread
    13. Besides the above tell me:
      • ROM name or say "STOCK"
      • ROM version ("LL" or "MM" - if you can tell me the build number as well)
      • Encrypted device or not

5. What is required to get support?
    1. Get IRC running (see FAQ 2)
    2. Get adb running (see FAQ 3)
    3. Collect logs (see FAQ 4)
    4. Go to IRC and paste your problem together with the paste URLs you done before
    5. If you can't see me on twrp or if there are any reasons why you may not get IRC running (serious? even not the webchat??!) answer to this thread and paste your URLs here

6. Why is the time wrong in TWRP?
    • most important: use the latest TWRP (atm of writing it has to be the latest BETA 3.1.1 sfx-14). This has been fixed several times on our journey for different ROMs and their versions and should work for STOCK (up to N) and on any custom ROM now very well.
    • if you still encounter issues: set the time zone correctly in TWRP once. then reboot into TWRP and it should be still the correct time
    • if you still encounter issues: scroll up to FAQ #4 A) and pull the recovery log and attach it to your post.
    For reference here the previous explanations (when using the latest TWRP no actions are required anymore!! even when switching between STOCK and custom ROMS !)
    • Before CM12.1:
      Time setting was handled with the proprietary qcom time_daemon which was responsible to save a time offset of the qcom RTC (Real Time Clock). This time_daemon gets the time from the RTC and save the offset to the current "real" system time in either /data/time or /data/system/time. That means it SHOULD work out of the box for you but as you're reading this it may not.
    • Since CM12.1 and newer:
      The proprietary time_daemon was completely replaced with an open-source alternative provided by sony: "timekeep".
      The main principal is the same: the time gets read from the RTC and then gets not written to files in the file system but instead a persistent property is written (timekeep save) each time the time or timezone changes or when Android shuts down. This property is then read at the next boot again by timekeep (timekeep restore).
      The handling of timekeep is fixed since build 127 of this twrp version / official 3.0.2-1 version so it should just work for you if you have that build running (or newer).
    • Stock ROMs:
      Stock ROMs or stock based ones like Imperium ROM uses the proprietary qcom time_daemon. That means it SHOULD work out of the box for you but as you're reading this it may not.
    • When you had read the above and it states it SHOULD work for you but it doesn't:
      Boot into twrp:
      Menu Mount: select Data to get it mounted
      On your PC:
      adb shell rm /data/system/time/ats_2
      adb shell rm /data/time/ats_2
      adb shell rm /data/property/persist.sys.timeadjust

One of the above adb cmds may fail but that doesn't matters.
      Now reboot into recovery again and the time should be fine.

If the above give you NOT the correct time:
      Please follow all steps of the above FAQ #5 and additionally also give an output of the following cmd while in twrp:
      adb shell mount /data
      adb shell ls -la /data/time /data/system/time

7. Does this build supports F2FS?
    • Yes

8. Why are some builds about ~50% smaller then other versions of twrp for these devices?
    1. TWRP builds with more than 30 MB contain an uncompressed kernel image and support both bootloader versions : MM and LL
    2. TWRP builds with about 16 MB contain a compressed kernel image and will run with MM bootloader only. As soon as I found out that this was the reason for not booting TWRP on LL devices I reverted the compression to support both again
    3. btw the kernel is build with UBER tool chain
    4. so the short answer is just "compression".

9. Unlocking? Rooting?

10. Don't trust TWRP for EFS backups? Do you want to have an independent backup of EFS? Do you wanna restore EFS without TWRP?
    Consider to use the brand new backup method even for locked devices! DLM Backup

words in blue are commands you have to type on your PC
    1. boot into TWRP
    2. connect usb cable
    3. adb shell
    4. Backup
      • For the following 2 cmds: replace /external_sd by /sdcard if you have no external SD card. HINT: you have to decrypt /sdcard first if you enabled device encryption!
      • dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modemst1 of=/external_sd/modemst1
      • dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modemst2 of=/external_sd/modemst2
      • dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/fsg of=/external_sd/fsg
      • dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/misc of=/external_sd/misc
    5. Restore
      • For the following 2 cmds: replace /external_sd by /sdcard if you have no external SD card. HINT: you have to decrypt /sdcard first if you enabled device encryption!
      • dd if=/external_sd/modemst1 of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modemst1
      • dd if=/external_sd/modemst2 of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modemst2
      • dd if=/external_sd/misc of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/misc
      • dd if=/external_sd/fsg of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/fsg

11. You can't unlock your screen after you encrypted your device?
    • First of all: this has absolutely nothing to do with TWRP but as I encrypt always and everything I encountered a problem after encrypting my device and I just want to share you my solution:
      checkout the following tool if you have the same issue described there: http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/d...vices-t3499478

12. How to open/start/boot into TWRP?
    You have 2 options at least:
    • when Android is booted:
      you can do "adb reboot recovery".
      Besides that many custom ROMs have a special power option or just download one of the dozens apps letting you do this
    • via key combo:
      The only valid and always working and supported way on getting with a hardware key combo(!) into twrp is using the factory reset screen.
      After installing TWRP correctly, you will still have the original LG factory reset screen/menu booting before TWRP, every time. So the correct and only way to get into TWRP is to select two times "Yes" in the official LG factory reset menu, and only then you will get into TWRP (It's a restriction by LG. There is no key combo available in some / all / most LG devices to boot directly into recovery and so TWRP).

Any other key combo like vol up + power depends on the kernel of the ROM! So it may work or not. Factory reset will work always.

If you are interested on the background why the factory reset page cannot be bypassed read on here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/...4/post72628311

For this you have to ensure that you have the latest twrp version really installed(!) because if twrp sits in recovery it will ignore the factory reset command when going through it.

Power down and pull out the battery. Do not forget to remove any USB cable.
      Press power down and hold it down. Put battery back while keeping vol down pressed. Press power button and keep now both buttons pressed. When you see the LG logo the first time just release the power button for 1 second ( do not release vol down ) and then press power again and keep both pressed until you see the factory reset screen.

Once you see that screen just go through the steps like you would do a factory reset. If twrp is installed you will just open twrp without wiping any data. Again it is mandatory to have twrp installed otherwise it would really reset your device.

For the paranoid: If you want to be sure use "adb reboot recovery" when in android. When you see twrp all is fine but just do a full backup and then go through the factory reset first.

13. What is a system IMAGE backup and why does it fail?
    • Using this new option is an ALTERNATIVE method to backup in opposite to the regular file based method. It is like a bit by bit backup of the COMPLETE partition which is the reason why it is much bigger as a regular backup.
    • So you likely will NEVER use the Image option or when you're a paranoid one only.
    • HINT: This method requires an ext4 or exfat partition on your external SD card otherwise image backups will fail due to the file size.
    • user reports success using the internal storage as target for the backup but if you do this keep in mind that you have to move that backup to your PC manually to ensure you have it by hand for the worst case.
    • So you may ask now why or when should I select this method? Never. So why is this option here? The main reason is TWRP in FIsH. I want to keep both device trees identical.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2016, 07:08 PM |#4  
Flag Eskilstuna
Thanks Meter: 42

More
What's the pros of having a decrypted device? Is going to be smoother, faster or what?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaarkieDoo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DaarkieDoo Ad-Free
20th August 2016, 07:23 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaarkieDoo

What's the pros of having a decrypted device? Is going to be smoother, faster or what?

+1 for this question
21st August 2016, 02:30 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
I'm curious what that technical talk means as well!
22nd August 2016, 04:00 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 76

More
It's good to see progress and interest for our device. Is it possible to add dt2w like op3 here and the date and time of nandroids fixed ?
23rd August 2016, 06:34 AM |#8  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaarkieDoo

When you enable full device encryption in your favorite ROM or using stock without modification then your data partition is encrypted. That means no one can access your data when you shutdown your phone.

So in twrp you will see the data partition as a big 32gb unreadable partition even if 3GB are in use when you booted (and therefore decrypted) your ROM.

You CAN still backup that data partition but it will backup the whole 32GB because of encryption.

With this twrp version when started you will be asked for the decryption password and your data partition is readable as in the ROM. When you backup now the data partition it just backups the data in use so 3 GB instead of 32GB.

Regarding any pros of not using full disk encryption in your ROM I can say it doesn't matter in performance in normal cases. You will always read that disabling decryption will give you much more power and so on but the today's spec of phones are so good you will feel a slightly diff only. The ONLY way to find an answer is testing on your own using the SAME ROM and same version! Once with encryption once without.

On the other hand you will get a minimum of security if you enable it but give access to everyone finding your lost phone if not! So it's up to you if you want this risk for a minimum on performance improvement.

And just for sure:
decrypting in twrp is *not* permanent it is just decrypted for backing up nothing more nothing less.

Hope that answers your question

Sent from my LG-H815 using XDA Labs
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2016, 11:09 AM |#9  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufocus

It's good to see progress and interest for our device. Is it possible to add dt2w like op3 here and the date and time of nandroids fixed ?

I think that is possible without problems. I check that.

checked:
its not such easy as stated in your commit link. we do not have "touchpanel" there so we need to check what else we could choose maybe those: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...1c4d591a160c2f

edit 2:
changing /sys/devices/virtual/input/lge_touch/tap2wake --> 1 (as set in CM) has no effect in twrp.. Need further research..

edit 3:
ok got it. double tap will be added in the next build

Sent from my LG-H815 using XDA Labs
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2016, 08:51 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfaster

edit 3:
ok got it. double tap will be added in the next build

How about the correct date and time? Is this also an easy one?

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
23rd August 2016, 09:03 PM |#11  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by albuntu

How about the correct date and time? Is this also an easy one?

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

no afaik this is a bug in twrp 3 as it was not a problem as in twrp 2 but I cannot say for sure.
Can you tell me what ROM do you use? and more important: When you reboot is the time correct (directly after reboot!) or is it not correct and gets corrected when connected to the carriers network?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)