FORUMS

LG G4 (all variants) Unlock and Root Discussion/News (ONLY)

281 posts
Thanks Meter: 746

By WACOMalt, Senior Member on 30th May 2015, 04:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hoyo folks.

So I'm sure you've all seen the plethora of "Do we haz root?" "How 2 unlok?" "unlok guide here"(which doesn't work) ect. Here in this thread I will attempt to summarize the current status of Unlock, Custom Recovery, and Root for each model.

Some of our devs now have Devices in hand, THANK YOU TO ALL THAT HAVE DONATED! It REALLY helps the entire G4 community! Now we wait with baited breath. (No pressure guys)

So without Further ado, here is a list of the status of all devices.

CURRENT Unlock/Recovery/Root Status, in order of success:

H815 (Europe Open model ONLY) -
Unlocked? - YES (Via LG's Official Unlocker)
Custom Recovery? - YES (TWRP info)
Root? - YES (Root Info)

NOTE: LG's offcial unlocker is a PERMANENT change. You cannot Re-lock, if you wanted to send in for a warranty claim. If you aren't willing to do that, lets wait and see if the dev's efforts will pay off with a more friendly unlock (which it may or may not)

H815 (Asia) -
NO to all - "adb reboot bootloader" gets into bootloader screen, locked

H815 (USA) -

H815 (France) -

H815TR (Turkey) -

H818P (Thailand) -

H818N -

H811 (T-Mobile) -
NO to all - and "adb reboot bootloader" doesn't work

H810 (AT&T) -

LS991 (Sprint) -

F500S -

F500K -

F500L -

VS986 (Verizon) -
No to all - and "adb reboot bootloader" doesn't work, AND no "Enable OEM Unlock" in developer settings.
The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to WACOMalt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WACOMalt Ad-Free
30th May 2015, 04:13 PM |#2  
Flag Albany, NY
Thanks Meter: 148

More
I suggest editing the thread title to be more concise/official since that is the intent of this thread:

Something like "LG G4 (all variants) Root Discussion/News"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IlyaKol For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IlyaKol Ad-Free
30th May 2015, 04:58 PM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 4,668

More
After OEM Unlocking in Development settings and rebooting, TMO G4 reboots only after adb reboot bootloader. Anybody confirm this for TMO G4? We need root first!
30th May 2015, 05:27 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 453

Donate to Me
More
For any one that ones the source code is available from LG.
T-Mobile
International
Both kernels are compile-able with a little finagling.

On Root:
From what I can see in the International code is there are the defprefs for all of the p1 versions, and it doesn't "Appear" to have ping pong patched.
I have heard "rumors" that jcase , autoprime and thecubed, are working on a root for the device, but I have not heard from either of them. They did just release pingping v6 which supports the M9, a 64-bit kernel, meaning they have made one that works with the 64-bit linux kernel. For any one curious about their progress you can always check them out on twitter. For those of you posting about root and such, you can always see if there is anything you can do to support them in their efforts.

Thanks for making the thread, I think this phone will be a fun one, and I do expect to see some great things happen.
Have a good day all!
The Following User Says Thank You to Loglud For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Loglud Ad-Free
30th May 2015, 06:54 PM |#5  
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 4,473

Donate to Me
More
H818P Thailand can use adb reboot boot loader
The Following User Says Thank You to somboons For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift somboons Ad-Free
30th May 2015, 11:25 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 746

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMod777

After OEM Unlocking in Development settings and rebooting, TMO G4 reboots only after adb reboot bootloader. Anybody confirm this for TMO G4? We need root first!

Thanks for confirming. Same behavior on my TMo G4.
30th May 2015, 11:41 PM |#7  
Flag Michigan
Thanks Meter: 545

More
Not as skilled as some but I do currently maintain the HTC One M8 for DirtyUnicorns.

I have my G4 pre-ordered from Verizon. It has shipped today and current tracking has it arriving Tuesday 6/2. If no one beats me to it, I will post at least the basics of how that variant functions in terms of adb and fastboot. Anything else needed I will gladly try to provide from the VZW variant.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to smac0628 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smac0628 Ad-Free
31st May 2015, 01:29 AM |#8  
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 227

More
Ok, so I'm I correct that its possible to root (when available) without it being unlocked? And with just root you could run apps like Titanium but you couldn't install a recovery or different rom while it's still locked?
31st May 2015, 02:31 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 429

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy

Ok, so I'm I correct that its possible to root (when available) without it being unlocked? And with just root you could run apps like Titanium but you couldn't install a recovery or different rom while it's still locked?

Yes
31st May 2015, 02:36 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy

Correct. Having root access to the operating system and having a unlocked bootloader are two different things.
The Following User Says Thank You to barcodelinux For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift barcodelinux Ad-Free
31st May 2015, 02:52 AM |#11  
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 227

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcodelinux

Correct. Having root access to the operating system and having a unlocked bootloader are two different things.

So it sounds like without the needed file from LG this is not going to be a developer friendly phone?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader, lg g4, root, unlock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)