FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Worth to buy a LG G4 in 2019?

41 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By rodrigian, Member on 5th April 2019, 09:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So like a month ago my cellphone was stolen (A Samsung Galaxy A8 which I miss deeply :'( ) and now i'm using my old phone which is a Moto G4 Play. Given that I find it quite "slow" in comparison to my A8 I'm already looking for a replacement phone. I'm considering buying a LG G4 because I came across an AliExpress seller who sells LG G4s for like 60 bucks (refubrished) and another seller from eBay sells it "new" (theorically) for $ 100. The thing is there is no phone with specs like the G4 for that kind of money (correct me if I'm wrong) but I already know all of the problems that can affect G4s so I'm not entirely convinced. So...

- If I buy one nowadays, is it probable I might get affected by bootloops ?
- How are the thermals with this phone? I read many cases of the phone overheating, is this common to every G4?
- How's development going right now? Are there any Pie roms being developed? (I'm looking specially for LineageOS 16)

Any more suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I really like this phone but If you think buying it nowadays is a bad decision, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

6th April 2019, 12:15 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 118

More
Naw its too old now
6th April 2019, 05:38 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hola amigo no sé si puedas entender español pero en mi opinión si vale la pena (y más con ese precio) los puntos buenos son:
Fluidez
cámara
Pantalla (es muy bonita) y además pienso que el diseño es muy elegante
y lo malo de este celular es la batería (3000 mha para una pantalla 2k es ridículo y con suerte llegarás a 3 horas de pantalla, yo en lo personal tengo dos baterías y cargo las dos y me duran el día exacto (a veces un poquito más) jugando pubg y viendo youtube, por cierto ese juego lo corre muy bien
y respecto a roms yo estoy en la stock 7.0 y me anda muy bien todo, con lo del bootloop tienes que destapar el teléfono, retirar la batería y ver en un papel que trae pegado la parte donde dice S/N Si empieza con el número 6xxxxxx o 7xxxx no te preocupes esos modelos no tienen bootloop
pero si es de 5xxxx e inferior esos tarde o temprano dan bootloop
PD: La cámara es sensacional, le gana a muchos gama media y se codea con algunos gama media alta
7th April 2019, 02:47 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 404

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigian

So like a month ago my cellphone was stolen (A Samsung Galaxy A8 which I miss deeply :'( ) and now i'm using my old phone which is a Moto G4 Play. Given that I find it quite "slow" in comparison to my A8 I'm already looking for a replacement phone. I'm considering buying a LG G4 because I came across an AliExpress seller who sells LG G4s for like 60 bucks (refubrished) and another seller from eBay sells it "new" (theorically) for $ 100. The thing is there is no phone with specs like the G4 for that kind of money (correct me if I'm wrong) but I already know all of the problems that can affect G4s so I'm not entirely convinced. So...

- How are the thermals with this phone? I read many cases of the phone overheating, is this common to every G4?
- How's development going right now? Are there any Pie roms being developed? (I'm looking specially for LineageOS 16)

Any more suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I really like this phone but If you think buying it nowadays is a bad decision, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

First thing that came up my mind... ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7fCQlUhj0

It's just not worth it, many G4's have or will eventually get all kinds of problems.
You are better of with trying to save some money and buy a newer device.
The LG G4 never had good thermal performance to begin with and some G4's seem to perform worse than other at that regard.
Development is going slow since there aren't many Dev's interested in this device an many who where are long gone and moved to other devices.
At the moment there isn't any Pie ROM available to flash.

Hope this answers all your questions.
8th April 2019, 01:31 AM |#5  
Flag named after a queen
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Well its a curious thing you ask.....

No.

Ebay sellers and the Ali Express are likely the same. person....
I have tried 4 of them.... and .................
Ive given up. As the phone is no longer supported. Youre stuck rooting and unlocking the bootloader.......not hard thankyou to @steadfasterX.
However you may miss some functionality..... like the radio (very important for me). I wish I could figureout the flashing of the different ROMS, as I think theres some very smart work still going on for this phone, albeit, its all experimental. None of it, will ever bring the phone back to the forefront of performance, just keep it "current", with Oreo. Im not sure how close to Pie being stable the phone is.

As for buying it from an ebay seller. I will tell you they are rebuilt, also known as a frankenphone.... Are they an 815? Who knows.
I have 1 of the 4 working, but it gets very very hot (CPUZ says 80C) when taking photos.....I had wanted a phone to take ultra long time lapse with (with an 8000mah battery), but......it shuts off after 3 hours of overheating. But itll do standy for about 3 weeks...lol. basically its an advanced alarm clock now.
I have 2 that never got into use, as they got stuck in a boot loop very early in my ownership (one, never turned on, just smoked in my hand)
1 Ive never opened.....just dont care anymore...

All of this makes me wonder how they got into market. I am still using my LGG3, as i was hoping to upgrade...but then my LG Tab III had a similar issue, hot cpu..... Ive come to the conclusion that LG shouldnt be in business with electronics... I see more vids on youtube about issues w LG phones than any other. But maybe Im just jaded.....YMMV
8th April 2019, 04:27 AM |#6  
OP Member
Buenos Aires

More
so the problem with this phone in general is build quality... it's a pity because spec-wise the phone is still kind of "up-to-date". I guess that's why they are so cheap in eBay and AliExpress. I mean i kind of already knew that they were rebuilt, but I was hoping they wouldn't have this bootloop issue (For what @Vishnuisgod says that might still be a problem) . Considering it's price, maybe the quality issues this phone have are the reason why they are so cheap

@ lcorado gracias por la informacion para identificar si fue afectado o no por el bootloop, pero la verdad es que no se si me quiero arriesgar comprando algo que tiene muchisimas posibilidades de fallar. Voy a pasar en esta (thanks for the information you provided to identify if it was affected or not by the bootloop, but the truth is that I do not know if I want to risk buying something that has a lot of chances to fail, i might pass on this one)

PS: do you have in mind any "old" phone I could buy as new online, that is sub u$s 100 ?
8th April 2019, 04:47 AM |#7  
Flag named after a queen

More
Quote:

so the problem with this phone in general is build quality... it's a pity because spec-wise the phone is still kind of "up-to-date". I guess that's why they are so cheap in eBay and AliExpress. I mean i kind of already knew that they were rebuilt, but I was hoping they wouldn't have this bootloop issue (For what @Vishnuisgod says that might still be a problem) . Considering it's price, maybe the quality issues this phone have are the reason why they are so cheap

@ lcorado gracias por la informacion para identificar si fue afectado o no por el bootloop, pero la verdad es que no se si me quiero arriesgar comprando algo que tiene muchisimas posibilidades de fallar. Voy a pasar en esta (thanks for the information you provided to identify if it was affected or not by the bootloop, but the truth is that I do not know if I want to risk buying something that has a lot of chances to fail, i might pass on this one)

PS: do you have in mind any "old" phone I could buy as new online, that is sub u$s 100 ?

nexus 5/6?
9th April 2019, 07:47 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 338

More
Quote:

Thanks in advance

elephone A6 Mini?
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32974157055.html
9th April 2019, 09:42 PM |#9  
OP Member
Buenos Aires

More
@Vishnuisgod Nexus 5/6 are quite old as well and, correct me if i'm wrong, but spec-wise they lag behind to what's "usable" nowadays.
@obvious never heard of that brand. The thing with these chinese phones are that development isn't always on par with more important brands, and for me, being able to update my phone past it's "age" that's a very important thing
9th April 2019, 11:19 PM |#10  
Flag named after a queen

More
Quote:

@Vishnuisgod Nexus 5/6 are quite old as well and, correct me if i'm wrong, but spec-wise they lag behind to what's "usable" nowadays.
@obvious never heard of that brand. The thing with these chinese phones are that development isn't always on par with more important brands, and for me, being able to update my phone past it's "age" that's a very important thing

Im still using an LGG3... it lags behind doesnt it, theres guys who swear by an LGG2.... dont get picky, up until 2 years ago I was using my Nokia 6500Classic. It did very thing I needed except gps....you know for a $200 (to $250)you can get a new phone that is a huge bargain, without all the worries about if its current. Check out some of the Nokia offerings, or Motorola (who seem to be kicking ass in the budget segment). If you cant afford $200 then you likely cant afford $100, so your point is moot....
13th April 2019, 09:12 AM |#11  
Flag culiacan
Thanks Meter: 2,268

More
Quote:

Thanks in advance

buy xiaomi instead.. say redmi note7 pro
The Following User Says Thank You to raptorddd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raptorddd Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)