I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION FOR THE LG G4 BOOTLOOP ISSUE *Story & Tutorial*

Search This thread

gub1

Feb 22, 2016
Basically what happened, was on Friday, my phone got stuck in a boot loop. It would get to the "Optimizing Apps" screen and shut off again. Other people may just get to the Verizon screen, or even just the LG screen. I looked it up and found that it was a major issue affecting many people, so I just filed for a warranty and received my new phone today. Well, on Saturday night LinusTechTips, a popular tech YouTube channel(You should really check them out, they are great), released a video on how they fixed a dead Graphics Card and PCI-E SSD by heating them up past the melting point of solder and then testing them. For them, it only worked on the GPU. As I was packing up my seemingly dead phone to ship back to LG TODAY, i decided to give it one more shot. I disassembled the device to the point where I could take out the logic board. I took the logic board and wrapped it in one layer of parchment paper and two layers of tinfoil, shiny side facing in(FYI tinfoil has two sides, shiny and matte). I then placed this package into a barbecue. I turned on the left and middle burners and left the package with my logic board inside on the right side to the grill so it wasn't receiving direct heat. After 10 minutes, I took it out, re-assembled my phone and it booted. I was able to get all of my pictures off of it. This has only been confirmed to work on my phone, but seeing as this SAME issue is affecting thousands of people, It's definitely worth a shot. If you are going to use an oven, PLEASE, make sure it's above 385 degrees Fahrenheit and that you don't plan on using that oven for food ever again, this may release some toxic chemicals etc. I plan on using my grill again, so I just made sure to leave the grill open for 24 hours and I'm going to clean it before I use it next. If you have any questions let me know!
P.S. My LG G4 was the Verizon model.

Last edited:

nitrous²

Jun 4, 2010
The Grid
I highly recommend doing this ONLY if you have no other option. Remember that heating a logic board to high temperatures can release toxic fumes. Don't use an oven you use for food preparation! Toxic fumes can leave residue in the oven and will be re-released upon reheating over many cycles!

Assuming LG's press release regarding the issue is correct and it is really a loose contact, this "fix" could actually work. Of course, only if the loose connection is a soldered connection. Though, it's controversial. You have to remember that the melting point for SMD solder is around ~350°C, or 662°F. So 358°F, or 181°C, is not nearly enough to actually re-solder a loose connection. My guess is that the loose solder point is only expanding due to the heat. There is no real reconnect. It might only be a matter of time until it also breaks. If you could locate the actual loose connection you could really re-solder it and have it fixed permanently.
I've done this on many many devices, including graphics cards, smartphone logic boards, PC mainboards etc. It only works if a soldered connection has a crack small enough that heat expansion is enough to gain reconnection. If there is a loose contact on the PCB or the "crack" in the solder is too big, it does not work. Also, if you really have a dead chip, this trick also won't (always) work.

imcass

Oct 11, 2013
Lisbon
I read a similar story on reddit. The guy put his main board in the oven, reassembled it, and the phone started working. The last update I read was 3 days later, still working.

Silverdace

Aug 8, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Amazfit
I fixed mine temporarily by heating up the emmc chip using solder hot air gun. It seems to be just the emmc chips connection.

Failed again after a fortnight when the phone got too hot. The connection seems to break when the g4 gets hot.

One option to try is to boot the phone inside a freezer. I found that worked too.

Pretty poor quality control on lg's part.

I'm going to try again and see if I can fix permanently.

lyobyl

Mar 24, 2013
Worked for me too

I have a LG G4 H815 with serial number starting with 507. It died yesterday night. The bootloop escalated quickly to full death. Even the freezer trick did not work.
I followed the OP instructions. I heated up the grill to ~250 degrees Celsius and cooked the motherboard for 10 minutes.
Magically the phone has been working for a couple of hours since and I have been able to backup files to the external SC card.
I wonder how much more will it work.
Thank you for help OP!!!

Word of advice to other LG G4 users. Backup your phone regularly. Use an external SD card. Set the camera to save images and videos to the SD card. At least at doom day you will have them saved.
Cheers

metropical

Sep 23, 2011
New York
NFN, I sent mine back to LG US in Texas for a full warranty repair. 10 days RT, no cost at all, shipping included.

Junaidpak

Sep 29, 2017
Hi bro kindly tell is it worth to install custom rom kernal with root to prevent the cpu to clock high speed so it will not go into bootloop? My is also 2 years old thanks

dztyson

Dec 7, 2004
250 degrees F for 6 minutes and brought the phone back to life. We'll see how long it lasts.

Actually it worked on BOTH G4s I have. I first just went dead and I bought a used one for $100 on eBay and it worked fine until the bootloop showed up.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I highly recommend doing this ONLY if you have no other option. Remember that heating a logic board to high temperatures can release toxic fumes. Don't use an oven you use for food preparation! Toxic fumes can leave residue in the oven and will be re-released upon reheating over many cycles!

Assuming LG's press release regarding the issue is correct and it is really a loose contact, this "fix" could actually work. Of course, only if the loose connection is a soldered connection. Though, it's controversial. You have to remember that the melting point for SMD solder is around ~350°C, or 662°F. So 358°F, or 181°C, is not nearly enough to actually re-solder a loose connection. My guess is that the loose solder point is only expanding due to the heat. There is no real reconnect. It might only be a matter of time until it also breaks. If you could locate the actual loose connection you could really re-solder it and have it fixed permanently.
    I've done this on many many devices, including graphics cards, smartphone logic boards, PC mainboards etc. It only works if a soldered connection has a crack small enough that heat expansion is enough to gain reconnection. If there is a loose contact on the PCB or the "crack" in the solder is too big, it does not work. Also, if you really have a dead chip, this trick also won't (always) work.
    Basically what happened, was on Friday, my phone got stuck in a boot loop. It would get to the "Optimizing Apps" screen and shut off again. Other people may just get to the Verizon screen, or even just the LG screen. I looked it up and found that it was a major issue affecting many people, so I just filed for a warranty and received my new phone today. Well, on Saturday night LinusTechTips, a popular tech YouTube channel(You should really check them out, they are great), released a video on how they fixed a dead Graphics Card and PCI-E SSD by heating them up past the melting point of solder and then testing them. For them, it only worked on the GPU. As I was packing up my seemingly dead phone to ship back to LG TODAY, i decided to give it one more shot. I disassembled the device to the point where I could take out the logic board. I took the logic board and wrapped it in one layer of parchment paper and two layers of tinfoil, shiny side facing in(FYI tinfoil has two sides, shiny and matte). I then placed this package into a barbecue. I turned on the left and middle burners and left the package with my logic board inside on the right side to the grill so it wasn't receiving direct heat. After 10 minutes, I took it out, re-assembled my phone and it booted. I was able to get all of my pictures off of it. This has only been confirmed to work on my phone, but seeing as this SAME issue is affecting thousands of people, It's definitely worth a shot. If you are going to use an oven, PLEASE, make sure it's above 385 degrees Fahrenheit and that you don't plan on using that oven for food ever again, this may release some toxic chemicals etc. I plan on using my grill again, so I just made sure to leave the grill open for 24 hours and I'm going to clean it before I use it next. If you have any questions let me know!
    P.S. My LG G4 was the Verizon model.
    I'm going to try again and see if I can fix permanently.

any more info on this? Looks like my phone bit it the other day, no boot...just dead...

I'm going to take her apart to see if I can find a bad solder, luckily I still had my G2 lying around.
    My phone is 2 years 4 months old....never bootlooped

Feel bad for u guys