It's that time of the night where I post things on XDA and wake up to a bajillion PMs.
Without further ado, I introduce "Low Effort Root".
What is this?
Low Effort Root is a root for your LG G4, named such because this is a root we really weren't too interested in releasing, but the phone is gaining critical mass so we figured waiting any longer would be a disservice to the community.
(We also don't like that the root ends up being ~4GB, since we're flashing whole new system partitions.)
We had originally planned on releasing an in-android root app, however time constraints on all the team members has prevented us from devoting the necessary time to it.
This root will root any LG G4, provided we have a pre-rooted system image for it. This is akin to 'flashing a rooted odin' image on a Samsung phone, as we're simply writing a system partition that contains Superuser.
No exploits here, no trickery, just a plain and simple flash and be on your merry way.
How do I use this?
Please read the whole directions here carefully. If you miss a step, or you copy the wrong command and run it, your phone will be BRICKED. You will have flashed a partition to some random place on your phone's internal SD, and no amount of sad private messages will be able to help you.
I'm 100% serious, if you do this wrong, you will turn your phone into a paperweight - so please don't go rooting your mom/dad's phone with this method. Wait for something better from us.
- Ensure you have the proper drivers for your phone. If you don't, download and install the proper driver below.
All G4 (except Verizon) - http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime...Ver_3.14.1.exe Verizon - http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime...QL_v2.22.0.exe
- Open this forum link and keep it up in another tab. We'll refer to it again in step 6: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/guide-root-method-lg-devices-t3049772 (and while you're at it, give the op there a thanks!)
- Download the appropriate files for your phone from the section below. Make sure to grab the Send_Command tools (named LG_Root.zip below)
- Extract the tar.gz file you downloaded for your phone, and move the resulting "system.rooted.phonemodel.img" file to the root of your phone's internal SD card with MTP mode. Do not rename this file, or move it into any folders. If you don't get a file named "system.rooted.phonemodel.img" DO NOT continue. You need to properly extract the file.
- On the page you opened in step 2, follow steps 1,2,3,6,7,8,and 9 on that page only, then come back here.
Ensure that on step 9, you use the right COM port.
- Type "id" and press enter (no quotes).
You should get back some text starting with "uid=(0)root gid=(0)root". If not, press CTRL-C, and do step 9 again (the application sometimes doesn't respond on the first command).
- Run the command specified in the section below titled 'Commands to Run' to flash the rooted system image.
- After a few minutes of sitting, you should get back a "#" prompt. This indicates the process has finished.
- Type "LEAVE" (no quotes) and press enter. Your phone should reboot, and your phone will be rooted.
Now that you're rooted, MAKE SURE YOU DISABLE OTA UPDATES, if you accidentally take an OTA, you might not be able to roll back or fix it.
You can also delete the system.rooted.modelnumer.img from your phone's internal SD card to save some space.
Commands to Run
T-Mobile H811 10H Version:
dd if=/data/media/0/system.rooted.H81110h.img bs=8192 seek=65536 count=548352 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0
dd if=/data/media/0/system.rooted.vs98611a.img bs=8192 seek=65536 count=548352 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0
dd if=/data/media/0/system.rooted.H81510c-EU.img bs=8192 seek=55296 count=529920 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0
dd if=/data/media/0/system.rooted.h81010g.img bs=8192 seek=65536 count=579584 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0
dd if=/data/media/0/system.rooted.LS991ZV5.img bs=8192 seek=65536 count=557312 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0
If your phone isn't running the EXACT firmware version specified, you will need to OTA to the proper version to root. If you'd like to not OTA, sit tight while we get a better root together.
Download Links (more to come soon)
Send_Command tools - ALL variants require this (you'll use this in step #5):
Download one of the following, depending on your phone's model
Ah Gawd, something went wrong!
Did it really? That's interesting... Luckily short of running the wrong command, you can easily recover from a bad flash by simply looking for the "Return to Stock" thread here on XDA for your phone, and flashing the KDZ from there.
KDZs cover a multitude of sins (short of you putting something in the completely wrong place on the EMMC).
Why isn't my variant supported?
See Post #2 by @autoprime (or click here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...23&postcount=2 )
First, I really need to thank everyone that donated to get Team Codefire phones.
You all are *super* awesome, and we are very grateful to be the recipients of your kindness
That said, if you'd like to consider donating to us for our work, our donation links are here. Thanks!
- @thecubed - Paypal Donate - That's me!
- @IllegalArgument - Paypal Donate - As usual, IllegalArgument is a genius. He also might be a mad scientist, it won't surprise me when he achieves cold fusion somehow.
- @autoprime - Paypal Donate - 99.92% of testing for this root and pretty much all our other goodies get tested by autoprime - he's awesome -- he even wrote up the instructions for this root for me
- @jcase - Paypal Donate - Gotta add jcase here, he's a wealth of information and a damn smart dude all around.