This project provides repackaged Stock Oreo roms that can be flashed by TWRP. Modifications from stock are listed below.
As we are now moving into the Oreo world, I've decided that now is a good time to make a few changes to how things were done previously with Nougat. Please pay attention to the next few sections.
Modifications from stock
Note - It seems that I can't get DM-verity nor forced encryption disabled. The location of the fstab.qcom file is no longer in the Boot image. I found a similar file in the system image, but changing that appears to have had no effect. In order to disable these, use Magisk.UPDATE - Resolved since soak test 2, and soak test 1 with Aroma installer
- DM-verity is disabled
- Forced encryption of the data partition is disabled. It is still possible to encrypt the partition if you wish (optional with Aroma installer)
- The partition table and boot loader are not included, which makes it safer to up/down-grade.
- Do not attempt to apply standard OTAs over these builds. They'll probably fail, worst case they will brick your phone
Differences from previous Nougat builds
- These roms are suitable for all channels. Previously there was separate firmware for different regions (e.g. retin had a separate build from retus), but as a general rule you are safe with any region's firmware.
- I have now started using the Aroma installer for Oreo builds. Some of the below is now customisable at install time. Aroma installer zips will have "-aroma" in their filename.
- The modified boot logo will no longer be included in the rom download. A separate zip will be provided to just flash the modified logo.
- EFS will be erased on install! If your persist is intact, EFS will recreate itself. With the amount of exposure that the lost IMEI issue has had, all should be very familiar with the importance of backing up persist and EFS. And those that have had a compromised persist, will know that they should be hanging on to their EFS backups for dear life. Full details of the issue and solution (for those with intact persist) is here: Fix Persist, resolve IMEI=0, Volte, 4G, Explanation, Requirements From my perspective, the EFS is erased installing OTAs for a reason. I don't know what it is myself, but the folks at Motorola build it into their OTAs and they know far better than I do.
- As a mitigation to the risk of people forgetting/losing their EFS and / or Persist backups, I will have a very crude backup system integrated into the zips. However, it will take some skill / knowledge to restore from these backups, and they should not be relied upon over the long term. Refer to the second post for more details.
Important information if downgrading to Nougat and Custom Oreo roms
The Oreo roms will change the ownership of specific files and folders in the /persist folder. As a result of this, stock Nougat will have issues such as lost IMEI, no Volte, no 4G, etc. In order to overcome these issues, either follow the instructions in the link above, or flash the following zip in TWRP.
Additionally, the latest Nougat builds with the Aroma installer will apply the persist fix when installed.
Another potential issue is that, as a result of various partitions being updated, the new Oreo blobs may not be compatible with existing Nougat roms (stock or custom), or even current Custom Oreo roms. This may result in issues such as the fingerprint reader not working, etc.
UPDATE: Some custom roms are now using the Oreo blobs. However, if you require the older Nougat blobs, you can downgrade through one of the following methods:
1) install one of the latest Stock Nougat TWRP flashables. This will ensure that all affected partitions are compatible with Stock Nougat and Custom Oreo roms. You can get these from this thread here:
[Nougat][Stock][Rom] TWRP Flashable Stock Builds
2) install one of the firmware-only zips from the below folders. Note that if this results in other odd behaviour, you may need to install and boot into a full stock Nougat firmware as above. The main benefit of these zips is that they are much smaller, ~50MB rather than ~1.4GB.
potter-firmware-92-14.zip is for retin, retla, retbr
potter-firmware-93-14.zip is for retus, retapac, reteu
Out of respect for the purpose of this thread, please keep questions about whether or not to use Nougat or Oreo firmware for particular custom ROMs in the thread for the custom ROM you are trying to use. I do not support other custom ROMs - the maintainers of those custom ROMs should provide guidance.
Steps to flash
- Ensure you have the latest TWRP
- Download an appropriate zip from one of the links below
- Copy to the phone or SD card
- BACKUP YOUR DATA, INCLUDING EFS AND PERSIST
- Flash the zip via TWRP
- Optionally flash Magisk etc -
NOTE - in order to disable dm-verity and forced encryption you must flash magisk before rebootingResolved since Soak Test 2 and Soak Test 1 Aroma installer, Magisk is optional
How you can help with new builds
If your phone gets an OTA notification for a build that has not been released, please pull it and share it in this thread:
- When the notification is received, allow your phone to download the OTA
- Power off and boot into recovery
- Go to Advanced -> File Manager
- Navigate to /cache
- There will be a file Blur_Version_x.y.z.potter.blah.zip - Note - Oreo OTAs may not be named this way, they may be named according to the version of the rom that is currently installed
- Copy it to internal storage or the sdcard
- Copy to PC (optional)
- Upload to Mega, Google Drive, wherever
- Share the link
- The 85-13 series is released to most channels except retus, and the last update was to 85-17-2.
- The 85-17 series is released to the retus channel.
- However, all releases can be used with all channels.
Android File Host - potter-twrp-flashable-OPSS28.85-17-6-2-aroma.zip
Dropbox - potter-twrp-flashable-OPSS28.85-17-6-2-aroma.zip
Official Oreo OPSS28.85-17-6 (Oreo 8.1, 1 February 2019 security patches) - Aroma Installer
Android File Host - potter-twrp-flashable-OPSS28.85-17-6-aroma.zip
Dropbox - potter-twrp-flashable-OPSS28.85-17-6-aroma.zip
All versions that I have created will be placed in this folder (or the Archive sub-folder) at Android File Host and Dropbox:
Android File Host - Potter TWRP Flashable Stock Oreo
Dropbox - potter - twrp-flashable-oreo
Modified Boot Logo
Optional, only needs to be flashed once. Replaces the warning screen with the standard logo. Can't hide the N/A. If you want to hide the N/A, go to the themes forum.
Kernel sources are provided by Motorola:
Potter Oreo TWRP Flashable, ROM for the Moto G5 Plus
ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
Last Updated 2019-05-17