FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

256GB microsd cards

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By CatherineVeraGat, Junior Member on 31st May 2017, 02:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have been thinking about getting the Motorola G5 Plus but I want to USE a 256GB microsd card, instead of a 128GB microsd card.

But on the Official Moto G5 Plus website, it says that Motorola G5 Plus microSd card slot ONLY SUPPORTS 128GB microsd cards. So how do I know that when I get the Motorola G5 Plus, that it will support 256GB microsd cards?

Anybody that is in the same boat as me, please tell me any suggestions that you have made. I'm currently in the United States. So the Moto G5 Plus is the only official phone available in the G series

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

31st May 2017, 04:04 AM |#2  
Flag Veracruz
Thanks Meter: 684

More
What's the doubt? Moto clearly says that the limit is 128... I don't get your question

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk
31st May 2017, 05:19 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
I use a 200gb card in a moto e whose limit says 128g, might even be 64, don't remember. Those aren't always hard and fast rules.
31st May 2017, 10:22 AM |#4  
Flag Hannover
Thanks Meter: 532

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineVeraGat

I have been thinking about getting the Motorola G5 Plus but I want to USE a 256GB microsd card, instead of a 128GB microsd card.

But on the Official Moto G5 Plus website, it says that Motorola G5 Plus microSd card slot ONLY SUPPORTS 128GB microsd cards. So how do I know that when I get the Motorola G5 Plus, that it will support 256GB microsd cards?

Anybody that is in the same boat as me, please tell me any suggestions that you have made. I'm currently in the United States. So the Moto G5 Plus is the only official phone available in the G series

Well they officially support up to 128gb but you should be able to use a 256gb without any problems
31st May 2017, 11:13 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 299

More
Hi,

SD limits announced by manufacturers are completly useless... only two causes can make the limit:

- The filesystem used: Any SD card of 64GB or more is "pre-formatted" with exFAT. This is because this is a requiment enforced by the SD Consortium. Then, if the device doesn't support exFAT, they announce supporting only 32GB in SD. But if you reformat the card with FAT32, then you can use 64,128 or more.

- The SD standard supported: original SD has a limit of 4GB, SDHC has a 32GB limit, and SDXC has a limit of 2TB (at time, no card with 2TB exists). Then if the device has support for SDXC (as the Moto G5 and the 99% of smartphones of today), ANY card be compatible... as all cards has less than 2TB.

That's all! The Linux kernel or the Android subsystem doesn't imposse any artifical limit to the SD slot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manos78 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift manos78 Ad-Free
1st September 2017, 12:36 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckret

Well they officially support up to 128gb but you should be able to use a 256gb without any problems

True..but I think you are using more than 128Gb then your phone may get slow down.
1st September 2017, 07:05 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I know I had a tablet one time that would not read anything over 64 gb so I formatted an 128 card into two 60gb partitions.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)