FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

HOW TO: FIX the G5 Plus Camera (mods, tools, guides)

976 posts
Thanks Meter: 142

By Dishe, Senior Member on 21st December 2017, 08:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th July 2018, 02:18 PM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hello there! I tried to follow your instructions OP but without root it was too painful, so I eventually had to root. However the camera now keeps crashing. I'll elaborate: I initially unlocked bootloader and got TWRP installed, used adb push and pull to edit the build.prop on desktop , then I rooted because I just couldn't get the chrom mod or the gcam installed without doing so aaand I really wanted the gcam. Gcam would lag like hell and failed to capture videos, so I uninstalled it and kept the stock which I've been using anyway. The pictures were just amazing, I would use the phone to see when in low light. Damn it was satisfying. Great job!

However, after a while, the stock camera started crashing. It's been 2 days and a LOT of factory resets later and I still can't get it to work properly. Sometimes it crashes, other times it can capture a pic but not a video or vise versa, popping messages such as "unable to capture media" and it's generally really slow. I just reset everything from TWRP (data, cache, system and internal memory), I didn't even log on google on the phone to avoid downloading any app data, i'm on stock ROM and I've downloaded zero apps. Stock camera is still crashing!

I may have royally messed up at some point, not very savvy with these things. Thank you for your help!

edit: I just tried opening the stock app once more to test it and I heard the hardware (cam) making clicking sounds while the screen was still dark (but the camera UI was there)
edit2: after rebooting a few times and disabling almost every non essential app the camera now crashes only when simply clicking on video mode ("please restart application" message appears). Phone doesn't even have a browser or the calendar on. I'm downloading a stock rom to completely wipe everything

1st August 2018, 04:45 AM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tateh

Hello there! I tried to follow your instructions OP but without root it was too painful, so I eventually had to root. However the camera now keeps crashing. I'll elaborate: I initially unlocked bootloader and got TWRP installed, used adb push and pull to edit the build.prop on desktop , then I rooted because I just couldn't get the chrom mod or the gcam installed without doing so aaand I really wanted the gcam. Gcam would lag like hell and failed to capture videos, so I uninstalled it and kept the stock which I've been using anyway. The pictures were just amazing, I would use the phone to see when in low light. Damn it was satisfying. Great job!

However, after a while, the stock camera started crashing. It's been 2 days and a LOT of factory resets later and I still can't get it to work properly. Sometimes it crashes, other times it can capture a pic but not a video or vise versa, popping messages such as "unable to capture media" and it's generally really slow. I just reset everything from TWRP (data, cache, system and internal memory), I didn't even log on google on the phone to avoid downloading any app data, i'm on stock ROM and I've downloaded zero apps. Stock camera is still crashing!

I may have royally messed up at some point, not very savvy with these things. Thank you for your help!

edit: I just tried opening the stock app once more to test it and I heard the hardware (cam) making clicking sounds while the screen was still dark (but the camera UI was there)
edit2: after rebooting a few times and disabling almost every non essential app the camera now crashes only when simply clicking on video mode ("please restart application" message appears). Phone doesn't even have a browser or the calendar on. I'm downloading a stock rom to completely wipe everything

When you enable the cam2 api, you lose most of the functions in the stock camera app as it uses the api1, iirc (you're left with just the basic point and shoot- no manual controls, HDR or videos). The GCam ver 3.2.045 was the most stable on the stock rom in my experience. You're better off staying away from the stock cam and instead use something like open camera.
Better yet, if you've rooted your phone, you might as well upgrade to a custom ROM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sanamrajneesh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sanamrajneesh Ad-Free
2nd August 2018, 05:02 PM |#103  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Once Oreo comes out for G5+, do we still need to go through these steps to enable HDR+?
3rd August 2018, 12:39 PM |#104  
Flag Natal RN
Thanks Meter: 90

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedige

Once Oreo comes out for G5+, do we still need to go through these steps to enable HDR+?

Yes. CameraApi2 is still disabled, and the rom is 32bits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrkblo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mrkblo Ad-Free
3rd August 2018, 03:20 PM |#105  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkblo

Yes. CameraApi2 is still disabled, and the rom is 32bits.

I was on the verge of switching to a Google Pixel. I got one, and while the pictures are stunning, it has incredibly bad battery life and it gets hot - probably half the battery life of Moto G5 plus. Pixel also has potential motherboard issues that causes the microphone to stop working. Google got hit with class action lawsuit because of it. It doesn't feel as reliable as my Moto G5 plus.

Guess I'm going to bite the bullet and try to unlock the bootloader to see if it makes a difference. Previous stock-friendly approaches to improve camera here didn't really make any meaningful difference.
4th August 2018, 05:06 PM |#106  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishe

I've heard they will improve autofocus and low light capabilities,

Maybe for stock firmware. Under Oreo ROMs I'm getting severely underexposed, color casts in images and overexposed, noisy videos. The original MOD, which has 6 fewer files, works well though so it would be interesting to know what the extra files do.

Also while going back and forth on last couple of stock 7.0 firmware builds I noticed that the autofocus was super quick (albeit jerky) in version NPNS25.137-33-11 (and presumably in builds before that). All subsequent firmware NPSS25.137-93-4 and above have had slower (but smoother) focusing. I wonder which files contain the autofocus algorithms.

Does anyone know?
4th August 2018, 11:09 PM |#107  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frawgg

I think what I'm going to do is a clean install of the stock rom and then just flash Defcomg_chromatix_mod.zip and just use stock camera. I definitely notice a difference just by doing that. So I can live with that lol. This phone is fantastic on just the stock rom to begin with. It seems like when I start messing with root or any custom roms I have nothing but issues.

I'm also unable to run GCam 4.2 32-bit or freeDcam after enabling camera2 api by making changes to build.prop. Everything FCs, even the camera2 api tester. I went through all pages of this thread and didn't find anything useful to troubleshoot this

Update: I figured it out. I had to flash stock ROM again using TWRP ( ROM downloaded from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-...uilds-t3813351 ). After that flashing Magisk again brought the OS to rooted state while camera was working fine
5th August 2018, 07:11 PM |#108  
Quick tip for some in here: enabling HAL3 on stock absolutely destroys boot time. Makes it boot for about 4x the normal time.

Just in case anyone wanted to know.
5th August 2018, 07:28 PM |#109  

More
Ok just confirmed this using two devices:

1. For XT1685 EU model firmware versions NPSS25.137-93-4 and above have slower focusing which fails occasionally under low light. Rolling back to an Nandroid backup of NPNS25.137-33-11 fixes this issue.

2. Indian XT1686 model with firmware NPN25.137.92 does not seem to be impacted by this slow focusing. I did not try with later firmware as this device was not rooted and wouldn't be able to roll back.
24th August 2018, 02:30 AM |#110  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Is this flashable version?

Thanks for all the work you've done improving our camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishe

Here's the latest Chromatix Libs and misc things that Savitar/Defcomg recommends replacing the stock system files with:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/vwsgac...5plus.zip/file

I haven't personally used these yet, but I've heard they will improve autofocus and low light capabilities, not to mention have all the processing ugliness turned off that were mentioned in the first post. Make sure you back up the originals first.

26th August 2018, 03:37 PM |#111  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra11

Is this flashable version?

Thanks for all the work you've done improving our camera.

Sorry it isn't flashable. That would be pretty nice if someone could do that!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)