FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

HOW TO: FIX the G5 Plus Camera (mods, tools, guides)

977 posts
Thanks Meter: 142

By Dishe, Senior Member on 21st December 2017, 08:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd February 2018, 06:48 PM |#41  
Flag Tbilisi
Thanks Meter: 206

More
Good news to those who dont want to lose warranty and nearly fix the camera too
https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-...ction-t3744031

5th February 2018, 08:30 AM |#42  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Hey @Dishe, I'm on custom 64 bit 8.1 AEX ROM and using Google camera with HDR+. In that case, is it required to apply Chromatix mod? If I do what impact will it have on the images produced by Google Camera? Will they improve or there will be no effect observed?

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemgee

Anyone using the gcam versions from here? https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/a...google-camera/

Yes. I'm using MGC_5.1.018_7.0+C2API_v.1.0_AllinOne and it is working great.
6th February 2018, 01:32 PM |#43  
OP Senior Member

More
Depends on whether or not the rom author used these already or the stock libs. I wouldn't know.
7th February 2018, 10:13 PM |#44  
OP Senior Member

More
New version of Gcam being worked on by Savitar/Defcong- now with manual focus controls!
http://www.filedropper.com/gcammfmr6
This is version MR6, it is a WIP but very good and worth using over the previous version I posted here.

Note: there are some settings under "potter" that are placeholders for future options and non-functional now (for things like toggling on/off raw capture, etc). But using this version on a recent trip to Arizona, I found it very stable and the manual focus controls were great for landscapes verses macro shots.
A quick refresher on how it is used, for example to capture a landscape:
1) Slide manual focus bar on right of screen to infinity
2) Tap any area on screen for exposure (important to do this, as the app isn't armed to snap until you tap anywhere)
3) Hit the shutter.
4) PROFIT

If I wanted to take a macro shot,
1) Slide the bar all the way to the bottom where it is the closest possible focus point.
2) Tap anywhere to arm
3) Shutter

You can also manually dial in the value if you know exactly how far the subject is from the camera, or you can pinch to zoom and move the slider around to check when the subject looks sharp (make sure you pinch to zoom out before taking the shot!)

And of course, for any normal snapshot in which you don't know how far your subject is and want to autofocus, make sure the slider is in the auto position, then the old method (swipe to video mode) still works.
In case you don't remember:
1) Swipe left for video mode
2) Make sure focus slider is on Auto (this is new)
3) tap on subject to focus
4) repeat if it doesn't look like focus took the first time
5) swipe right to go back to photo
6) tap to arm, and shutter to take the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronLefty

Good news to those who dont want to lose warranty and nearly fix the camera too
https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-...ction-t3744031

Yeah I took a look at that. Its interesting for sure, but I don't think you're going to get vastly better photos out of it without an extreme amount of effort. And even then, it still won't be as good as gcam or even editing chromatix. I know warranties make people nervous, so I understand the hesitation, but honestly I can't recommend gcam enough. I'm including an example I took on my trip to Arizona as it appeared in camera (no editing in post). I had a $3000+ DSLR with me on this trip and some of the shots I didn't bother taking it out for. That's how good this is. They will be printed side-by-side with my "real" camera pictures.
So while I understand the hesitation to lose your warranty on a $200-300 phone, if you think of it as a camera replacement for times you don't want to risk a far more expensive investment getting ruined, I'd argue that it is totally worth it. For me, its a no brainer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180129_163637.jpg
Views:	2588
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	4412696   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180125_120638.jpg
Views:	2596
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	4412717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180129_125351.jpg
Views:	2554
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	4412718  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dishe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dishe Ad-Free
17th February 2018, 12:02 AM |#45  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsurazz

I installed GCam provided in this thread. Both the normal and landscape modded. But i dont seem to be able to click any photos. I can see everything in the viewfinder but once i tap on shutter button the button becomes gray and unusable. how do i fix this? Video mode works well tho. Did the swiping frm video mode to pic nd quickly tapping on shutter button but doesn't seem to help. Anyone who can help?[COLOR="Silver"]

Did you get it going imsurazz? I have the exact same issue, including the latest MR6 build... everything seems fine but I can't actually take a photo - tapping the shutter button becomes gray and no photo taken. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm rooted stock, with camera2 enabled.
17th February 2018, 03:21 PM |#46  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Guys, if i flash the chromatix mod, will the stock camera stop working. Because the last time i tried.. i had to reflash the whole system. So, how to safely improve the camera quality?
20th February 2018, 04:16 AM |#47  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by srb-

Did you get it going imsurazz? I have the exact same issue, including the latest MR6 build... everything seems fine but I can't actually take a photo - tapping the shutter button becomes gray and no photo taken. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm rooted stock, with camera2 enabled.

Ah, Did you tap somewhere on the scene first? I find you need to do this to make the app ready to snap a photo - I call it "tapping to arm the shutter" in the steps above, mostly for lack of a better term. If it ever gets locked up / grey, I can always break it out by swiping to video mode and back again- that seems to reinitialize the camera. Then tap somewhere to set the exposure point once you are back in photo mode, and hit the shutter button.

I'm not entirely sure why it does it, but I think what is happening is the app is trying to auto-focus and being told the camera is not ready since AF isn't responding (so it will grey out the shutter while it waits for the camera to report being ready, which obviously never comes). But if you tap somewhere to focus first (even though you already focused and it is locked), it seems to be OK with continuing to take the picture. I actually don't mind doing this as it gives me a second to choose a specific exposure point in the image to base the HDR on. For example, I can focus on a subject, then click the sky when I "arm the shutter" to make sure it doesn't blow out, and let HDR+ do its thing to make sure my subject still gets exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha9964

Guys, if i flash the chromatix mod, will the stock camera stop working. Because the last time i tried.. i had to reflash the whole system. So, how to safely improve the camera quality?

No- part of the point of using the chromatix mod is that it will improve the stock camera app and any other camera app that is using the older camera API. I use my stock app for video all the time still, and a quick shake brings it back up just like it did when my phone was new.
What do you mean you had to flash the whole system? Oh, did you try to use the flashable zip on a stock encrypted rom? Maybe if you are rooted you should consider using a file explorer with root access to modify the lib files?
20th February 2018, 05:44 AM |#48  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishe

Ah, Did you tap somewhere on the scene first? I find you need to do this to make the app ready to snap a photo - I call it "tapping to arm the shutter" in the steps above, mostly for lack of a better term.

Ah... can't remember, but I feel like I would have tried that.

In the end I flashed the 64-bit Pixel Experience ROM, installed the GCam port and all is well (except for low-light green tint that I'm sure will be fixed soon.)

This camera really is fantastic... my GF needs a new phone, and normally I would never suggest a year-old model... but at this price point, with the Pixel software, I don't think much can beat it!
20th February 2018, 06:03 AM |#49  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by srb-

Ah... can't remember, but I feel like I would have tried that.

In the end I flashed the 64-bit Pixel Experience ROM, installed the GCam port and all is well (except for low-light green tint that I'm sure will be fixed soon.)

This camera really is fantastic... my GF needs a new phone, and normally I would never suggest a year-old model... but at this price point, with the Pixel software, I don't think much can beat it!

Nice- glad its working for you! And I agree, the combo of gcam on the camera on this thing really pushes limits!
How's PE? I've heard good things, but I didn't like the battery life on it. Also, personally want to avoid the whole IMEI deletion thing some folks have discovered the unofficial Oreo roms doing when flashing. Going to wait for official Oreo to come out (the promised it will... eventually... sigh).
Stock with G-cam is everything I need at the moment!
20th February 2018, 07:56 AM |#50  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:

No- part of the point of using the chromatix mod is that it will improve the stock camera app and any other camera app that is using the older camera API. I use my stock app for video all the time still, and a quick shake brings it back up just like it did when my phone was new.
What do you mean you had to flash the whole system? Oh, did you try to use the flashable zip on a stock encrypted rom? Maybe if you are rooted you should consider using a file explorer with root access to modify the lib files?

By whole system i mean, i could not get the camera working after i used the libmm and chromatix mod. So i replaced it with stock files which i had backedup. But still couldn't get the camera working. By "camera working" i mean whenever i opened the camera i used to get "couldn't connect to camera". So i had to flash the stock rom again from the ADB. But even then it didn't work. So downloaded the stock twrp flashable rom. Then it started working.
20th February 2018, 10:58 AM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:

Nice- glad its working for you! And I agree, the combo of gcam on the camera on this thing really pushes limits!
How's PE? I've heard good things, but I didn't like the battery life on it. Also, personally want to avoid the whole IMEI deletion thing some folks have discovered the unofficial Oreo roms doing when flashing. Going to wait for official Oreo to come out (the promised it will... eventually... sigh).
Stock with G-cam is everything I need at the moment!

PE is great. I flashed many of Oreo roms and I always ended up returning to PE.
Coupled with Alize battery is very satisfying.
The Following User Says Thank You to washoq For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift washoq Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)