[HOW-TO] How to SuperSU the Moto G5 Plus (Rooting Guide)

Search This thread

ZubaZ

Mar 27, 2013
Does anyone know, does this method work after doing the OTA update for NPNS25.137-33-5. I just updated and now I don't have root (as expected). But I 'm wondering if this method still works with the lastest update. Thanks!

iBART

Sep 28, 2010
Torreano
I followed the guide but WIFI is not working. Any help? :\

Edit... ummm i re-flashed boot and after the reboot ... puf... wifi is working.

Edit 2... first reboot and wifi is gone!

Last edited:

jgro1976

Jun 8, 2006
OnePlus 6T
So I've been searching, raking my brain trying to get this silly thing rooted. My windows 10 machine sees it in fastboot, but no matter what I try I can't get it to show up in ADB, I says it flashes recovery but when I go to boot into recovery it's still the stock recovery....? I've looked at several different guides, tried installing all the drivers....I also do have the latest update. Is that the problem?

seed_87

Jun 24, 2011
I just read this whole thread and have seen posts about:

- Moto gestures breaking (Post #39)
- Wi-fi problems (though there is a fix for that in the OP)
- RSA popup not showing, The one allowing a computer to trust a PC to enable USB debugging on the phone (Post #29 )

I just bought a G5+ and have successfully unlocked its boot loader. I wouldn't want to move forward unless some people can confirm this rooting method doesn't break these things and it's safe enough.

So, whats the consensus?
Thanks to all.

Last edited:

androcraze

Jan 11, 2013
I just read this whole thread and have seen posts about:

- Moto gestures breaking (Post #39)
- Wi-fi problems (though there is a fix for that in the OP)
- RSA popup not showing, The one allowing a computer to trust a PC to enable USB debugging on the phone (Post #29 )

I just bought a G5+ and have successfully unlocked its boot loader. I wouldn't want to move forward unless some people can confirm this rooting method doesn't break these things and it's safe enough.

So, whats the consensus?
Thanks to all.

What is root going to give you, or what does rooting a device mean to you?

The divide between "factory" and custom ROMs is growing due to perceived (or real) security concerns by vendors. The sacrifices that a user has to make by switching to a custom ROM are sometimes painful: users could potentially lose the ability to use Android Pay, and vendors are refusing to allow apps to run if they determine that a device has been rooted. This situation will only get worse as time goes on.

I've just jumped from a Nexus 5. With the N5, I built my own ROM from AOSP, rooted the device, and pared-down everything to bare bones. I had no bells, no whistles; my focus was on security and reliability. Towards the end with that N5, my sole reason for rooting the device was so that I could run AdAway to block ads while browsing (I don't install apps that demand fees or flood my device with ads).

My current G5+ isn't rooted, and rather than running AdAway, I'm running Firefox with uBlock Origin. I've disabled a number of the Google apps and installed open-sourced replacements. It's not quite where I was before, but I'm quite happy with what I have right now, and can live without root.

My reason for wanting root was control over my device; I still have some of that capability with ADB and TWRP. I was hoping that PHH would get his version of superuser going with this device; it's a simple matter of swapping-out boot.img partitions if you want to revert back.

I'll stick with my current setup for now. Hopefully things will mature on the root and custom ROM fronts for this device.

seed_87

Jun 24, 2011
Hey androcraze, thanks for the response!

I really do not care for android pay, I don't think it is even possible with the g5+ as it doesn't have nfc. I know rooting has its downsides, regardless, I've been rooting android phones since I first got a galaxy 1 phone, then a galaxy s3, Xperia z3..

Just like you, the biggest reason for me to root a phone is to install adaway on it, would also install a couple of xposed mods to block YouTube ads, among other things.

However, I freaking love "chop chop" moto gestures and I don't want to loose those to gain root.
I'd also be using this phone to develop apps, so not being able to get an RSA popup to be able to use it as a dev device really kills it for me

Do you or does. Anybody know if these tiny issues have been solved?

Thanks again for the response and the OP for this rooting thread!

Reactions: androcraze

androcraze

Jan 11, 2013
Hey androcraze, thanks for the response!

I really do not care for android pay, I don't think it is even possible with the g5+ as it doesn't have nfc. I know rooting has its downsides, regardless, I've been rooting android phones since I first got a galaxy 1 phone, then a galaxy s3, Xperia z3..

Just like you, the biggest reason for me to root a phone is to install adaway on it, would also install a couple of xposed mods to block YouTube ads, among other things.

However, I freaking love "chop chop" moto gestures and I don't want to loose those to gain root.
I'd also be using this phone to develop apps, so not being able to get an RSA popup to be able to use it as a dev device really kills it for me

Do you or does. Anybody know if these tiny issues have been solved?

Thanks again for the response and the OP for this rooting thread!

Rooting really wasn't an "issue" until Marshmallow; that's when the special rules started coming in place.

I don't use any special gestures, so I can't help in that regard.

xdataibai

Dec 8, 2015
now we have the official twrp for moto g5 plus, is the rooting process the same as the usual one, i.e. 1. unlock bootloader 2. flash the official twrp 3. in twrp, flash latest supersu.? I saw in this thread, it needs to flash a modified kernel? is that still needed?

x1357246

Dec 6, 2015
Does it work on Oreo ROMs?
I had Pixel experience installed, TWRP 3.1.1.0 installed. But flashing the chainfire zip didn't work. SuperSU App said "root not detected" after rebooting.
Can anyone help?

Solved with Magisk.

Last edited:

webdoctors

Nov 29, 2011
I followed the instructions in the OP's #1 post and there were no issues except my camera broke. It keeps giving a force close now, so I reverted to stock rom using instructions posted on this site under the post titled "How to re-lock Bootloader of all Potter version by aSaro12" (https://xdaforums.com/g5-plus/how-to/how-to-lock-bootloader-potter-version-t3694952) and now everything back to normal.

I think the problem is the kernel you're forced to load, it might not be compatible with the north american phones. Phone only gives a camera is busy or camera app forced close message. I didnt debug trying to load another kernel or ROM to fix the issue.

Dec 3, 2017
I followed the instructions in the OP's #1 post and there were no issues except my camera broke. It keeps giving a force close now, so I reverted to stock rom using instructions posted on this site under the post titled "How to re-lock Bootloader of all Potter version by aSaro12" (https://xdaforums.com/g5-plus/how-to/how-to-lock-bootloader-potter-version-t3694952) and now everything back to normal.

I think the problem is the kernel you're forced to load, it might not be compatible with the north american phones. Phone only gives a camera is busy or camera app forced close message. I didnt debug trying to load another kernel or ROM to fix the issue.

I followed toolkit steps then these exact same steps in this article. Both worked to root phone, but camera didn't work both times. I think you're right webdoctors, it's the kernel. I don't want to relock my bootloader though so I'm not going to follow what you did. I am giving up on root.

VERDICT: MOTO G5 PLUS NORTH AMERICAN VERSIONS CANNOT BE ROOTED WITHOUT BREAKING CAMERA AND FLASHLIGHT.

Credrili

Jun 6, 2012
I followed toolkit steps then these exact same steps in this article. Both worked to root phone, but camera didn't work both times. I think you're right webdoctors, it's the kernel. I don't want to relock my bootloader though so I'm not going to follow what you did. I am giving up on root.

VERDICT: MOTO G5 PLUS NORTH AMERICAN VERSIONS CANNOT BE ROOTED WITHOUT BREAKING CAMERA AND FLASHLIGHT.

I just bought this phone today at Best Buy and it rooted fine with no issues. Flashing the WiFi patch didn't break my camera or flashlight either.

Perhaps you didn't something incorrectly during the process. I haven't rooted a phone in a long, long time and I had zero issues apart from getting ADB to work, which I finally figured that out.

Dec 3, 2017
I just bought this phone today at Best Buy and it rooted fine with no issues. Flashing the WiFi patch didn't break my camera or flashlight either.

Perhaps you didn't something incorrectly during the process. I haven't rooted a phone in a long, long time and I had zero issues apart from getting ADB to work, which I finally figured that out.

Thanks for this Credrili! Did you buy a U.S. model? What process did you use to root?!

Credrili

Jun 6, 2012
I followed the first post in this thread. No toolkit. But to save you some time, make sure you update your phone to get the 911 voLTE fix, then continue with the root process.

I must now revert to stock, update, then root again. Haha. edit: nevermind, I can use a TWRP backup from this thread: https://xdaforums.com/g5-plus/development/rom-twrp-flashable-stock-builds-t3675616

edit: Yes I bought the US model. It came with NPN25.137-33 out of the box.
edit3: Needed to root with Magisk v14 while using NPN25.137-83 but it works as intended for me with no difference in regards to SuperSU.

Last edited:

darko454

Jul 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G Power
Hey Guys,

I have a question before i start flashing. Does anybody know if i can flash the Resurrection Remix v5.8.4 after i flash
Vanche's Modified TWRP? Or do i first have to flash the Vanche's Modified Boot Kernel, then Vanche's Wifi Patch?
Should the Resurrection Remix v5.8.4 already have Magisk root?
Thanks

Kaaw

Nov 28, 2017
I have a strange wifi problem

Whenever i use the vanche´s kernel i can use the wifi of my moto g 5 plus xt1680 as its meant to be but the camera breaks, and when i change to elementalx i can use the camera but the wifi goes back as to what it was stock ultra slow download in playstore and cant use team viewer which is a must for me, is there anyway i can fix the elemental kernel to be like vanches one for the wifi only?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

Thanks to @vanche for the modified kernel and twrp recovery and @fayiaz for the guide on how to root and @Johny Cipel for the original guide and everyone else like
    @topjohnwu
    @santhosh
    @abdyasar

For the original twrp, root and other stuff.

Now thats out of the way

Requirements:
    -Unlocked Bootloader (Moto G5 Plus with offers from Amazon won't have unlockable bootloaders but if you buy the standard model from them then you'll be fine)
    -Vanche's Modified TWRP from here (http://cloud.vache-android.com/Moto/potter/TWRP/twrp-3.1.0-0-potter.img)
    - Vanche's Modified Boot Kernel from here (http://cloud.vache-android.com/Moto/potter/root/potter_boot_test7.img)
    - Vanche's Wifi Patch because wifi will stop working after flashing the modified boot kernel (http://cloud.vache-android.com/Moto/potter/root/wlan_custom.zip)
    - Chainfires Root http://download.chainfire.eu/1021/SuperSU/SR3-SuperSU-v2.79-SR3-20170114223742.zip
    --- If you already have TWRP on your phone, the one by Santosh, you must flash the one made by Vanche or it wont work and you can just download the recovery image and flash it via twrp by toggling the flash zip button on the twrp recovery install menu.

1.. Download all the three files then boot your phone into bootloader mode by holding Volume Down + Power
    2. Connect your phone to your PC and then open the adb terminal wherever adb is located open command prompt at that folder
    3. Place the recovery image and boot image where the adb terminal folder is located
    4. Fastboot flash recovery first and then boot into recovery at least once then reboot into bootloader fastboot flash boot the modified boot image.
    5. Boot into the system (May take a while for the first time after flashing the boot image).
    6. Place the wlan_custom.zip into your phones internal storage
    7. Boot back into recovery and then flash the zip this time
    8. Then download and flash the SR3 Super Su from above using recovery and you should have root!!

Safety net may break so if you wanna use Snapchat or any other apps that use safety net make sure you login first then root. You can't logout or else you'll have to unroot and log back in.
    I ran in to this issue though. I cannot get adb working. For some reason the RSA popup to trust the computer is not coming. The option to revoke authorizations is also missing from Developer options.
    I reset my phone, deleted the .android directory (as suggested in other posts), checked on various systems and OS and it just doesn't seem to work. The device stays unauthorized.

Is anyone else facing the same issue?

All I did here was modify the kernel posted in the OP to enable the adb debugging prompt since I needed to log things with system write access and OP's kernel link didn't allow it. Nothing else was changed from the posted kernel so I can't offer any further support for any issues, sorry!

Heres the same kernel with ADB prompt working (Edit- Added system RW permission)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzHidNj_Nrl_V1B5S2JqNkJOblE

You will need to reflash the supersu in the OP's link after fastboot flashing this, as su needs to mod the kernel
    Thanks, after do all steps i getting camera error, i solved flashing elementalx kernel and camera works again
    Videon Tutorial [SuperSu]

Guys I Found This Video Tutorial For This Thread On Roting Moto g5 Plus With Super Su ------- And Worked Great For Me----- link:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV78iWxQrRE
    Sorry but what's the differences beetwen this method and magisk?