Does the moto G5 supports the Turbo Power 15W charger?

Search This thread

freeZbies

Dec 2, 2013
An answer in Lenovo's support forums says the G5 does not support Turbo Power, but it comes with a 10W rapid charger. The problem that here in Brazil not even this 10w charger gets shlpped with the phone, neither can I find it for sale, so I'm thinking about getting a 15W Turbo Power charger, does anyone knows if it'll charge the G5 (25W and above are reportedly not working with the G5)

Sephirothrx7

Mar 10, 2009
SANTO André
I bought my Moto G5 in Brazil near the launch date, it did come with the 10 W charger (5V-2A, W = V x A, do the math). As far as I know, Snapdragon 430 support Quick Charge 3.0. I bought a ROCK charger with Quick Charge 3.0, just waiting for it to arrive from Aliexpress, should work just fine.

Reactions: Betho180

freeZbies

Dec 2, 2013
I bought my Moto G5 in Brazil near the launch date, it did come with the 10 W charger (5V-2A, W = V x A, do the math). As far as I know, Snapdragon 430 support Quick Charge 3.0. I bought a ROCK charger with Quick Charge 3.0, just waiting for it to arrive from Aliexpress, should work just fine.
Well, I didn't know that this would result in 10W. Anyways, as far as I know the moto G5 doesn't support Turbo/Quick charge, despite using the Snapdragon 430. I say thay because none of the TurboPower chargers in Motorola's website cites the G5 as supported (only G5+/G5S), in addition, I read many reports in Lenovo's official forum repporting it doesn't support Quick/Turbo Charge, like here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G...g-with-Qualcomm-quick-charge-3-0/td-p/3828209
In other words, a 15W charger is not supposed to provide great advantages over the regular charger that came with it.

Anyways, thanks for showing me a 5v-2a equals 10w, I googled and confirmed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Betho180

Sephirothrx7

Mar 10, 2009
SANTO André
Well, I didn't know that this would result in 10W. Anyways, as far as I know the moto G5 doesn't support Turbo/Quick charge, despite using the Snapdragon 430. I say thay because none of the TurboPower chargers in Motorola's website cites the G5 as supported (only G5+/G5S), in addition, I read many reports in Lenovo's official forum repporting it doesn't support Quick/Turbo Charge, like here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G...g-with-Qualcomm-quick-charge-3-0/td-p/3828209
In other words, a 15W charger is not supposed to provide great advantages over the regular charger that came with it.

You are welcome.
To be honest I have been using the Quick Charger but can confirm if it's working or not. I usually just plug the phone before going to sleep, when I wake up it's already 100% :p. I will search if there's anything available to detect if it's using the quick charge or not.

RaylanSMG

Nov 5, 2018
I'm using my wife's charger from her G4+ and it seems not boost the charger at all. It takes the same time with my own charger. Normally, batteries got a regulator that protect the battery from being overpowered and, maybe, exploded. So, if it was setted to 2A max it won't work anyway. Also, the official charger detects, through USB interface, if the device support Boosted Charging before sending 3A. If you wanna save your money, my advice is don't buy it.

mstombs

Jan 28, 2014
Moto G5 doesn't support Qualcomm 2.0 or 3.0 which charge at 9V or 12V. My original charger used to charge at 5.2V and up to 1.5A, but it doesn't anymore, now doesn't go over 5.0V. Very difficult to charge when powered on when normal charger only manages about 0.6A . Also have problem with portable battery packs, best option is to connect external battery when full, and it just about stops internal battery falling. Maybe the connector wearing out, have tried different cables....

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
Moto G5 doesn't support Qualcomm 2.0 or 3.0 which charge at 9V or 12V. My original charger used to charge at 5.2V and up to 1.5A, but it doesn't anymore, now doesn't go over 5.0V. Very difficult to charge when powered on when normal charger only manages about 0.6A . Also have problem with portable battery packs, best option is to connect external battery when full, and it just about stops internal battery falling. Maybe the connector wearing out, have tried different cables....

Sometimes it can be as simple as a tiny piece of pocket lint/crud in the USB charging port. You can buy cans of compressed air to blow them out same as used on Camera lens or check with magnifying glass and then a toothpick with care to clean anything found out.

HTH :)

mstombs

Jan 28, 2014
Blast from past on old phone! The usb port eventually failed completely, fortunately the little board is easy to replace, but the replacement board only lasted a few months. I still have the phone as a spare and charge the removable battery out of the phone.

R1ffR4ff

May 31, 2015
Blast from past on old phone! The usb port eventually failed completely, fortunately the little board is easy to replace, but the replacement board only lasted a few months. I still have the phone as a spare and charge the removable battery out of the phone.

Sorry about that :D

But glad you still have the phone :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.