FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[9][OFFICIAL][WEEKLY] CarbonROM | cr-7.0 [cedric]

2,732 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,367
 
Post Reply Email Thread
17th May 2019, 10:37 AM |#41  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Installation guide for new users
Hi

I tried to follow the installation instruction in the first post but ended up in bootloop. So I though I would make a detailled guide for new users since some instructions are not all in the same place.
I wanted to backup at least the EFS partition. More on partitions and what they do.

Starting point : Moto G5 "cedric" with stock Oreo latest security update (december 2018).
Prerequisites : Rom installations :
  1. Set up a pin number on your phone. Without it TWRP will not be able to decrypt your data partition.
  2. Activate USB debugging on the phone.
  3. In a terminal on your PC and with the phone on and connected with usb, make it reboot in bootloader mode : "adb reboot bootloader"
  4. Flash the TWRP recovery : "fastboot flash recovery twrpxxxxx.img"
  5. From the bootloader screen, use the volume up/down to select "recovery mode" and presh the power button, this will boot TWRP. It will ask for you PIN set up earlier to decrypt the data partition.
  6. Go to backup, choose a storage, I only had internal.
  7. Backup all partions that make sense to you (EFS for me). If you chose SDcard for storage, turn off the phone, remove the card and copy the backup to your PC and skip to step 12. If you selected internal storage, carry on.
  8. Boot your phone. Since we did nothing to prevent the dm-verity from working, this will reset your recovery.
  9. Copy your backup from internal storage to your PC
  10. Go back to bootloader mode as in step 3
  11. Reflash TWRP
  12. from TWRP, go to wipe then advanced, then Format. This will erase everything. swipe to wipe "Data/Cache/Dalvik".
  13. Go back and tap "Advanced". Wipe "System".
  14. Copy the file your downloaded earlier on your phone using "adb push"
  15. Go back and install the ROM, Magisk and the dm-verity zip. Magisk will give you root.
  16. Reboot and enjoy !

EDIT : Reworked because I kept having to enter my PIN number on boot and I had a GPS icon showing even when locations were turned off. bold text is new instructions. I striked the old ones.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oremusnix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Oremusnix Ad-Free
 
 
18th May 2019, 01:54 AM |#42  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I didn't need to do all of the above steps, it just seemed to install fine.
Or maybe I did, It's been a while since I unlocked the bootloader and installed TWRP.

This Rom seems to be running great. I'm on my second update now, and the only problem I've run into is after the update, I'll need to reboot twice to get the phone fully functional. The update settings are on stock, so the update happens in TWRP. After it installs and reboots, my phone won't initialize/read the sim card properly. No LTE, the phone will show the network provider and the imei, but everything else is "unknown". I need to do a second reboot to get things running properly.
23rd May 2019, 10:56 AM |#43  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Cam buggy again on version 20190522-0004
I updated to the latest version(CARBON-CR-7.0-OPAL-WEEKLY-cedric-20190522-0004) through the OTA updater and everything works fine except for the camera that is buggy again.
Some photos are correct but sometimes they get scrambled. some with a green tint except for a square on the top right. Or a shadow red hue overlappting.
I did not encounter this behavior on the previous version 20190515. Maybe a regression ?
27th May 2019, 12:33 PM |#44  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Reboots
So. After 2 Weeks of testing.....

1 big problem: After rebooting, the phone reboots after (ca) 30secs. This happens only when AFWall+ (Donate) has superuser permissions(With Magisk)

The next problem is, that my phone randomly hangs up and reboots. Its just crashing. Then there is the first problem.


And when I upgrade via OTA, I first must copy the zip file to the sd card. Why not doing it automatically?
29th May 2019, 09:39 PM |#45  
OfficerJimLahey's Avatar
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Sunnyvale
Thanks Meter: 1,367
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrible Username

I didn't need to do all of the above steps, it just seemed to install fine.
Or maybe I did, It's been a while since I unlocked the bootloader and installed TWRP.

This Rom seems to be running great. I'm on my second update now, and the only problem I've run into is after the update, I'll need to reboot twice to get the phone fully functional. The update settings are on stock, so the update happens in TWRP. After it installs and reboots, my phone won't initialize/read the sim card properly. No LTE, the phone will show the network provider and the imei, but everything else is "unknown". I need to do a second reboot to get things running properly.

Finally noticed that myself. However was on the road so I could not treat myself to a log of it. I have the opportunity to try again soon though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oremusnix

I updated to the latest version(CARBON-CR-7.0-OPAL-WEEKLY-cedric-20190522-0004) through the OTA updater and everything works fine except for the camera that is buggy again.
Some photos are correct but sometimes they get scrambled. some with a green tint except for a square on the top right. Or a shadow red hue overlappting.
I did not encounter this behavior on the previous version 20190515. Maybe a regression ?

That problem is consistent, unfortunately. Happens in low light.
The Following User Says Thank You to OfficerJimLahey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift OfficerJimLahey Ad-Free
29th May 2019, 09:42 PM |#46  
OfficerJimLahey's Avatar
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Sunnyvale
Thanks Meter: 1,367
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BixilonA


And when I upgrade via OTA, I first must copy the zip file to the sd card. Why not doing it automatically?

Speculation since this is the first i heard of that, I would say your modifications are disturbing the system to prevent an OTA. Probably explains the other ill effects too.
29th May 2019, 10:00 PM |#47  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
hmm. Its only rooted. And later I "xposed" the phone. Xposed has only Gravity Box enabled. Root only afwall+; EdXposed Installer and Titanium Backup. Nothing more
30th May 2019, 01:15 AM |#48  
OfficerJimLahey's Avatar
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Sunnyvale
Thanks Meter: 1,367
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BixilonA

hmm. Its only rooted. And later I "xposed" the phone. Xposed has only Gravity Box enabled. Root only afwall+; EdXposed Installer and Titanium Backup. Nothing more

Yeesh, all that is a lot. And we cannot support bug resolution when XPosed (which is made for AOSP, not their derivatives) is in play.

FWIW, rooting by definition, changes the system (adds superuser functionality). All else has to the potential to make further changes to system.

However, lets rule out that as an issue. You can try:
  • Doing a TWRP backup (nandroid)
  • Wipe data, cache, dalvik and system
  • Flash only the ROM (May 22nd build) (and Gapps)
  • Turn on developer options, ADB, connect to PC for logcat
  • Reattempt the issues you have found (May 22nd build means an update will still be waiting)
  • For anything awry, please send those logs
The Following User Says Thank You to OfficerJimLahey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift OfficerJimLahey Ad-Free
18th June 2019, 12:43 AM |#49  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Looks like my mobile radio isn't working. I suspect it may be because I have a regional variant which doesn't match the rom quite right, so for now I'm going back to official. Having seen the LED which never showed up in the stock rom, I'm going to give this another try fairly soon. Cheers.
20th June 2019, 11:38 PM |#50  
Junior Member
Flag GuaĆ­ba
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Where can I see the changelog?
1st July 2019, 09:21 AM |#51  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
I still can't get the radio working. Should I build the rom myself? What do I extract from the stock rom? My phone is a XT1676 RETAPAC. Maybe I should try building it myself? Is this guide any good? https://www.lineageosrom.com/2017/01...m-for-any.html
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes